Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9X19 brass bulging with 160 grain bullets

Johnny_Chimpo

Not entirely unexpected, but interesting that some brass brands bulge so much that they will not chamber while others don't bulge at all.

From my small sample size, it seems American brass brands (WIN, Blazer, Federal) don't bulge at all while SAR, Aguila, and PMC bulge a ton (to the point of being unusable).  Measuring the through the flash hole there is still .25" of free height between the bottom of the bullet and the bottom of the primer pocket so probably somewhere between .15 and .20 of space between bottom of bullet and bottom of the inside of the case.

I found this out yesterday when I began experimenting with seating depth for safe chambering with Blue Bullets 160 gr RN.  I adjusted my seater to give a 1.15" OAL as shown in Hodgdon's reloading data.  This OAL, BTW, was good to go in a Shadow 2, 75BD, Glock 17, P-07, P-09, and P-10F.  Credit to the very long ogive that Blue Bullets use, which puts the full diameter way back near the case mouth.

Question for anyone with experience with 160s: which brass brands have you found seem to have unacceptable bulging.

@chopps @jubi351 I'm wondering if this path down the 160s is even worth going on.  I rely on range pickup brass and don't really have time to sort.

I think I'll try those same brass brands with some 147s to see if they bulge.

I've been shooting 124s for several years and want to switch to heavier bullets.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

@chopps @jubi351 I'm wondering if this path down the 160s is even worth going on.  I rely on range pickup brass and don't really have time to sort.

I've been shooting 124s for several years and want to switch to heavier bullets.

I absolutely love and recommend blue bullets for 147gr. I've shot thousands of them and the bullet design (as mentioned above) allows you to load long AND still work in short throat guns like my CZ Shadow 2.

1 hour ago, Zachjet said:

Just for curiosity sake why do you want to shoot 160s?

29 minutes ago, Sarge said:

soft shooting

What @Sarge said

Just for s#!ts and grins I loaded five Everglades plated 158 gr RNFP 38 special bullets in 9 mm cases with I think 3 grains of AutoComp.  I shot them through a Glock 19 and they were stupid soft.

I can only imagine how easy something like that would be to shoot in a Shadow or some other heavy pistol.

19 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

I absolutely love and recommend blue bullets for 147gr. I've shot thousands of them and the bullet design (as mentioned above) allows you to load long AND still work in short throat guns like my CZ Shadow 2.

How much case bulging have you seen with the 147s and lower tier brass (SAR/CBC/Aguila/PMC/PMP/S&B)?

Range brass with Precision Delta 147 FMJ using 3.5 VV N320 @ 1.150 work perfectly in my un-reamed Shadow 1...super soft, super accurate. I will probably switch to a coated bullet this year for cost reasons. Solid 134 PF, day after day.

I made an adjustable inside plug gauge for checking certain brass. So far Hornaday wins as the deepest/straightest wall. I measured a Hornaday piece and then placed this piece of PMC brass on it to show the difference. As you can see it’s a fair amount. 9B8758A0-ED98-4D74-9445-84E4F3B2988B.thumb.jpeg.51e35eeebffda4e6c68b5a99dcdfc824.jpeg

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Very nice

BB 147s will be my backup if I decide the 160s are too much trouble.

I load with random range pickup brass as well with 3.9gr of WAC behind it at a COL of 1.135" in an unreamed Shadow 2. I've had no issues with case dimensions.

As a bonus, they're pretty cheap bullets and I always buy them in quantities of 3K at a time, and they come in nice little plastic cases. I believe we get a forums discount with code BENOS as well.

18 hours ago, Farmer said:

I made an adjustable inside plug gauge for checking certain brass. So far Hornaday wins as the deepest/straightest wall. I measured a Hornaday piece and then placed this piece of PMC brass on it to show the difference. As you can see it’s a fair amount. 9B8758A0-ED98-4D74-9445-84E4F3B2988B.thumb.jpeg.51e35eeebffda4e6c68b5a99dcdfc824.jpeg

That is excellent!!

Any chance you can give us a run down on the different brass you've measured?

8 hours ago, zombywoof said:

That is excellent!!

Any chance you can give us a run down on the different brass you've measured?

I’ll get right on that!!🤣 

I’ve noticed differences even between the same brands. I’ll gather up what I have and make up a chart. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been loading 160's for a couple of years now and have the same problem. ATK and Remington brass has about a 90% success rate. All others are relegated to the range ammo pile and about 50% of that will not chamber in my KKM barrel. However my son's Sig 320 will eat that bad batch so its a win win, I guess.

Also, the ammo with the bulged cases run higher velocities. I load to floor with 2.8gr of TG for a 126 pf out of a 5 inch KKM.      

On 1/7/2023 at 2:34 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

This problem is the same reason I ditched 147’s years ago. 

Findings similar to yours. American brass = GTG. 

Foreign/Euro stuff is usually made with 124’s in mind… so tapered wall thickness and other such things don’t have an issue with 124 or lighter projectile sizes.

Wasn’t worth it for me. The heaviest I load these days is a 127gr Brass monkey bullet. 

5 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

This problem is the same reason I ditched 147’s years ago. 

Findings similar to yours. American brass = GTG. 

Foreign/Euro stuff is usually made with 124’s in mind… so tapered wall thickness and other such things don’t have an issue with 124 or lighter projectile sizes.

Wasn’t worth it for me. The heaviest I load these days is a 127gr Brass monkey bullet. 

That sucks

Biggest issues loading 160s is that if you don't seat the bullet straight it will bulge and then it won't gauge or chamber.  You have to take more time and make sure the bullet is straight when seating.  The only way I salvaged them was to run them through a LFCD and then they would chamber.  They are super soft though for sure!

DougC

On 1/23/2023 at 6:03 AM, Tunachaser said:

I like 135 because it doesn't have the issues 147 gr. sometimes does.  My CZ's like short bullets so loading 147 or 160's long is not an option.

Not sure which CZ's you load for, but I've found the 147 flat points can be loaded pretty long in my S2, like 1.135. The bullet is quite long anyways, but definitely better than the round nosed 147.