Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube Issues--Basically Cement

Mgreen4452

Switched from using Slip 2000 EWL to TW25B grease in my P320 Legion. It's been running great for USPSA, but yesterday I competed in a run-and-gun, and after getting wet and sandy, the gun completely seized. I couldn't get the gun to cycle on its own at all. When I got home I barely got the take down lever to move, and it took a good bit of force to remove the slide. Am I doing something wrong with this grease (that claims not to attract dirt), or do I just need to go back to Slip? 

Edited by Mgreen4452

6 hours ago, Mgreen4452 said:

Sounds like a ringing endorsement for going back to oil. 

They know a little something about Sigs and my guess is they are loose enough to run with light grease in the winter time.  I tend to do what the builder says.  Atlas like oil, so oil it is on AGW pistols.  

1 minute ago, RangerTrace said:

They know a little something about Sigs and my guess is they are loose enough to run with light grease in the winter time.  I tend to do what the builder says.  Atlas like oil, so oil it is on AGW pistols.  

does atlas say anything about sand? use, or not to use? I use a smidge of slide glide around the tip of the barrel and on the locking lugs on my atlas. 50/50 mix of atf and mobil1 everywhere else. If it's below freezing I skip the slide-glide just to be safe. I never put sand in my gun under any circumstances. If I were carrying a gun somewhere with a lot of sand/dust (like my colleagues at burning man or wintertime events at the socal dunes), i would use minimal amounts of some extremely light and/or dry lube, and still clean the gun after every shift.

On 12/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, LMS said:

And let's not forget Benos Slide Glide, which looks a lot like grease to me.  

I think all bets are off when you get sand gumming up the works.

I tried this stuff, I’m not convinced it’s not just packing grease. Regardless, it makes my gun cycle softer and I like it. Don’t use it in your striker. I use it on the slide and anywhere the trigger swivels or any part that rides against another part. Works great!

Edited by Twilk73

On 12/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, Mgreen4452 said:

Switched from using Slip 2000 EWL to TW25B grease in my P320 Legion. It's been running great for USPSA, but yesterday I competed in a run-and-gun, and after getting wet and sandy, the gun completely seized. I couldn't get the gun to cycle on its own at all. When I got home I barely got the take down lever to move, and it took a good bit of force to remove the slide. Am I doing something wrong with this grease (that claims not to attract dirt), or do I just need to go back to Slip? 

Neither grease nor oil "attract" anything.  It's just another one of those stupid gun myths that won't die.  Just like "nitriding is a coating" and a dozen more.

Make a little pile of sand or loose dirt and pour a little oil an inch away on one side and a finger dab of grease on the ground an inch away on the other side.  Then sit back and wait for either to attract that dirt to it........

Lubricants suspend contaminants in them.  Fancy way of saying s#!t sticks to oil and grease.

Put a very light coat of oil on a piece of metal and drop it in the dirt or sand.  Do the same with a piece of steel that has a very light coat of grease.  Both will be immediately and completely coated in dirt and neither will clean itself.  The only way lubricants (oil specifically) get rid of dirt is when they're flushed away and replaced with clean lubricant.  But since pistols don't have oil pumps, sumps, and filters, it doesn't make any difference (from a contamination aspect) whether you use oil or grease.

If you want to use grease in the cold, use one that is rated for temperatures below freezing.  Same as with oil. 

If you want to use a pistol in an environment where it will be exposed to lots of solid contaminants (fine dirt/dust/sand/muddy water) then use something that won't let that stuff stick to it, like a teflon dry lubricant.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

On 12/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, Mgreen4452 said:

after getting wet and sandy, the gun completely seized.

That's sort of the way it works.

Some guns are more forgiving of getting wet and sandy than others.

Some lubes handle particular conditions better than others.

But eventually too much is too much.