Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester small pistol primers?

Cherokeewind

Is anyone other than myself having trouble popping Winchester small pistol primers?  Using them in Glock 17 and 34, both with OEM striker springs.

And I do seat them to the bottom of the primer pocket.

Sometimes they pop on the second try, sometimes not at all:(

TIA,

Jim

Edited by Cherokeewind

Many thousands and never a problem, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the newer production stuff is lacking in quality control nowadays. My first guess is just Primers not being fully seated but you say they are. What press are you using?

Just went through about 500 of them and no issues here either

Ran mine through a cz s2 with the cgw 11.5# hammer spring, which is pretty light.

Are you running the 1 1/2 ones or the usa ready ones?  I've never used the usa ready ones.

While you say you are seating them completely, the only time I have been able to document primers firing on a second firing pin strike is when they were not completely seated.  How far below flush with the case are they seated?

I would take a sample group of cases, uniform the primer pockets and seat the primers to 0.003 - 0.005" below flush with the case and try them., If they all fire, it may have been a seating problem.  If not, more suspicion on the primers.

I won a box of really old white box-orange text Winchester SPPs at a local steel match a little while ago.

I had problems lighting them off with my Shadow 2 with a light hammer spring, but no problems in any other guns (2011, Glock, PCC, etc.)

I have no problems with any primers except the Winchesters. There have been several Win SPP that wouldn't fire no matter how many times I tried them, even trying the bad primer in different pistols.

I seat primers well below the case head, even until the cup is slightly flattened.  No issues with CCI, Remington or Federal...............

After carefully removing a bad primer from the case it was in, I removed the anvil and the foil.  The foil has a small hole in the center where the tip of the anvil has impacted it.  The priming compound (olive green colored material) is present but is a powder, probably because of repeated blows from the striker.

Still no answer to the puzzle.

I will try a test batch with slightly less seating force and report any conclusions........

I tested a small batch (only 12 rounds) of "softly seated" Win SPP in my Gen 5 G34 using a 4# striker spring.  All 12 rounds fired on the first attempt.

Then checked the one round that I had left of the "hard seated" Win SPP with the 4# spring.....no joy.  Replaced the 4# spring with the OEM spring and that round fired on the first attempt.

It seems that I might have been seating the Win SPP too hard.  Strange that other brands of primers didn't refuse to pop even with "hard seating".

Don't know if all this helps anyone but maybe I've learned something.........