Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester small pistol primers?

Cherokeewind

The pin still needs to contact the primer, so the deeper it's seated the farther away the primer is from the firing pin tip. Everyone preaches "seat them deep", but they need to be deep enough to bottom in the cartridge case so the anvil is able to ignite the compound, but not so far the firing pin loses it's ability to firmly strike the primer. Extended firing pins and primer sensitivity add another aspect to this equation. Seems you've found the sweet spot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to the range to shoot my new p365x yesterday. Shot 50 rounds of Hornady self-defense hp with no issues(what I will carry in the gun). Put 50 rounds of aluminum cased blazer rounds with no issues. I shot 200 rounds of Winchester 115-gr FMJ and 3 of those rounds misfired. Each of the 3 had fully punctured so I'm guessing there was an issue with the primers on those 3. 3/200 is a high failure rate in my book. 

I think there may be issues with several primers of late.  I've had issues in Glocks, SA 1911, a Canick Rival and a PCC I use to test ammo batches.  Multiple seating depths and and all factory springs. CCI and Winchester.

had about 5k bad batch of winchesters  I bought about 2018 ish.  a few bad in every box of 100, yes hundred not thousand.  wrong size primer, primer with no compound, primer with odd color compound, no anvil, 

I reload 9mm using both cci and win. The wins sometimes have trouble seating correctly despite a rigorous depriming and cleaning process. Not so with cci. My FTFs are mainly In my tanfoglio 9mm 1911 not in my G17. But that's another issue discussed on this forum (light strikes). All in all I prefer cci but get by with win. I remember I used to use federal match primers they worked pretty good. In the last 4 years it's been reload with whatever primers you can get. So the issue became academic. Good luck.

when I bought my first Dillon back in late 90's had problems with CCI's jamming in the tubes.  I think there were some out of round,,  went back to the gun store where I had bout the press and primers and the owner apologized for an employee and handed me a brick of winchesters... Said sorry.. Yeh CCI's dont work in Dillons. Used Winchester ever sense. Got out of shooting for 7 years or so and got into 357 magnum,, had no  SPM so when I started buying components I went with winchester,,,, Low and behold they were junk and CCI's are the ones everyone likes. 

Hey Joe, I've had just the opposite cci seats pretty good in my dillion 650, win seats well too but not as good as cci. Maybe it's not the press but the primer pocket. I can't count the number of times I reloaded my 9mm brass. It seems to go forever as opposed to 223.

I have switched back and forth for years. We mostly bought CCI’s as they were local and abundant plus usually a little cheaper. When they changed to the cream colored packaging (80’s) problems started. I would prime while my brother charged cases and he was giving me hell for mashing the primers. They felt like you were trying to seat a primer into a case that was crimped. We changed brass, same problem. Bought some WW and they seated perfectly and we used WW exclusively in everything after that. What I liked about WW LP primers is they worked well for std and mag loads and the LR primer actually shrunk my groups in one finicky rifle. We measured some of those old CCI primers and sure enough they were larger. Makes me think that the stamping die was getting worn and they were pushing it as long as they could. I once bought some Rem SR to try and had so many misfires that I gave them away.