Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Electronic Ears

Cjblackmon

I'm on my 2nd set of Dillon Muffs in 6 years, I abuse them somewhat. Dillon sold me the 2nd set at reduced cost with return of the old ones.

I have a set of Pro Ears I use for practice, they seem to switch on when in my bag jostling around. So I use them for practice, since I'll be checking them more often.

I keep the Dillons in my Match Bag.

Actually the best set I had were called "Wolf Ears" I think. Got them in 1988 at a reduced cost as part of a Sponsorship Package for a big Money Match. I think the total order was somewhere around 30+ Ear Muffs at under $100. They finally gave out in 2004. Pretty good, I'd say, unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: MePaBlu Ear Protection

I am sorry to tell you all that I will not be able to fill any orders on these items.

Reason - We have discovered problems with a few of the units. We were working with an importer to bring them into the country, and we froze future orders until the problems were cleared up. Because we could not get a completely solid sense that our customers would not have problems going forward, we were forced to discontinue this item.

It is really a shame that the company could not make it work for us, because they have a nicely designed product. The ear cups fit beautifully, and are super comfortable. The headband is made of leather and is cushioned for added comfort. We have to put quality to our customers before everything, so had to stop all imports and sales.

www.MLE-ShootingSports.com

Edited by MLE-ShootingSports

• 3 weeks later...

Stay away from the Browing ones. My wife bought me a set off of Midway. People were giving it 5 stars. They cost 130 bucks and I sent them back. Very cheaply made and and the electronics were fuzzy like a kids walkee talkie. Also hurt the ears. Liked my 8 dollar walmart specials much better. Will have to look into the ones mentioned on the forum. I see cabelas has some for like 35 bucks. They look ok. might try them out.

check out the sordin supreme pro. had a chance to try out a set and was impressed with the quality. a little on the pricey side @ $235.

quick update folks, I got a set of Sordins Supreme Pros off of E-Bay. if you do a search, there is one seller out of Florida that carries them. Most auctions close around $180. I got mine for $185 shipped. Good electronics, very easy to change batteries and fit well up against rifle stocks. Highly recommend them.

I'm just got a pair of Radians Pro-amp earmuffs and am very disappointed. I researched purchasing a pair of electronic earmuffs for a long time before getting these. This thread was one of the many that I read.

The problem is that my ears don't fit into the ear cup! I never thought I had big ears but now, I'm not so sure! I have a pair of slim Peltor Shotgunner muffs that have a NRR of 21. The Radians have an NRR of 23. But, the Shotgunners block out MUCH more than the Radians because the Radians don't even seal completely around my ears.

My suggestion is to try them on first if you are thinking about buying them. I'm probably going to sell these so, if someone is interested, let me know.

Joe Mamma

• 4 years later...

I just compared my Pro ears to a set of Peltor Pro tac. They are both rated around 24-25 The Peltor blocked out way more noise. I think the pro ears dont seal tight enough.

Aside from comfort and the Decibel noise reduction specification, one important unspecified function that has not been mentioned is gain recovery time. The inexpensive Peltors have almost zero recovery time (they actually use clipping - not gain reduction) - for instance when you shoot close steel, the electronic amplification is fully recovered in time for you to hear the "tink." When shooting is going on in adjacent bays, you can still hear between shots enough to carry on a conversation. SOME muffs stay muted way too long for this to be possible. The designers evidently never thought it would be an issue.

I would be interested in knowing what other brands / models have zero gain recovery time.

I just compared my Pro ears to a set of Peltor Pro tac. They are both rated around 24-25 The Peltor blocked out way more noise. I think the pro ears dont seal tight enough.

big +1

pro ears don't fit my head well, there a few guys at my club that recently got some and and about half of them have the same problem.

I just got a set of the peltor tactical pro and love them, NRR is 25, the electronics are great, no clipping on or off and it is comfortable to wear all day if I gotta.

check out the sordin supreme pro. had a chance to try out a set and was impressed with the quality. a little on the pricey side @ $235.

quick update folks, I got a set of Sordins Supreme Pros off of E-Bay. if you do a search, there is one seller out of Florida that carries them. Most auctions close around $180. I got mine for $185 shipped. Good electronics, very easy to change batteries and fit well up against rifle stocks. Highly recommend them.

+1 on the Sordins

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X's

Being a range officer I'm exposed to gunfire for hours and hours every time I set foot on a range......I tried almost every different set of electronic muffs I've come across...these won out by far...with the gel seals they are super comfortable and seal around things like a cap edge or thick glasses frame. The audio is amazing...if I turn up the volume I can hear stuff more than 50metres behind me as if they were standing right next to me....I have now learnt to keep the volume down...sometimes you just dont want to hear everything said behind the firing line when you're trying to concentrate :surprise:

I know the rating on paper doesnt seem as high for noise supression as others but they do an amazing job at keeping gunfire down and everything else clearly audible...well worth the money and a purchase I have yet to hear anyone regret...I certainly love mine and would just buy another pair without looking elsewhere...they do everything I could want....the headset jack is great for plugging in an ipod, or radio etc too....excel;lent if you need to be able to use a phone or vhf radio for comms whilst running a competition or something

I've used the Radians and the Howard Leights and they have both crapped out on me. I've switched to the Sordins and haven't looked back. The others were a bit louder in amplification when they worked but I was disappointed that couldn't last.

I've got the Pro Ears Slimline Gold with audio jacks. Not very impressed. My cheap Caldwells (except for static) are better at blocking the noise. AWLAZS is right, my PRO Ears do not seal around my head very well. When wearing them turned off, it is almost like having no protection on at all. Very dissappointed in the 300 bucks. I only use them with a .22, so I can hear the buzzer during practice.

Reminds me of a joke. Guy talks about his horse. Best horse, amazing horse, smartest horse, etc.... Finally another guy buys horse sight unseen. After he is in possesion of his new prized animal he gets mad and goes to the seller to complain.

Buyer says, horse is lame, stupid, sway backed, old and useless. Original seller says: YOU KEEP RUNNING THAT HORSE DOWN AND YOU ARE NEVER GONNA SELL IT.

Pro Ears Slimline Gold with audio jacks, like new, used little, best muffs I ever owned......takers? :surprise:

Edited by fourtrax

I've got the Pro Ears Slimline Gold with audio jacks. Not very impressed. My cheap Caldwells (except for static) are better at blocking the noise. AWLAZS is right, my PRO Ears do not seal around my head very well. When wearing them turned off, it is almost like having no protection on at all. Very dissappointed in the 300 bucks. I only use them with a .22, so I can hear the buzzer during practice.

Reminds me of a joke. Guy talks about his horse. Best horse, amazing horse, smartest horse, etc.... Finally another guy buys horse sight unseen. After he is in possesion of his new prized animal he gets mad and goes to the seller to complain.

Buyer says, horse is lame, stupid, sway backed, old and useless. Original seller says: YOU KEEP RUNNING THAT HORSE DOWN AND YOU ARE NEVER GONNA SELL IT.

Pro Ears Slimline Gold with audio jacks, like new, used little, best muffs I ever owned......takers? :surprise:

I have the same. I really like the electronics, but the shell was worthless. I took a pair of Peltor non-electronic muffs I had and installed the electronics in there. Now they are very quiet and have the amplification I like. I noticed when I was drilling the holes in the new muffs that the plastic is much thicker, about twice as thick as the Pro Ears shells. That probably has something to do with it.

I used Sordin Supreme Pro 3+... liked them a lot with the standard ear pieces and like them even better since I installed the silicone ear pieces.

At A5 I stopped by the EHP booth and have to admit I was pretty impressed with their products. They have a couple of features I haven't seen before.

My Sordins are still going strong and I have too much invested in them to just drop them for the next new thing, but when it comes time to replace the Sordins I'll be taking a good look at the EHP muffs.

• 1 month later...

Where is the best place to get MSAs? :D Any suggestions?

I've had a good experience with these SRS tactical. http://www.srstactical.ca/sordin.php Very friendly and also fast shipping. I've been really happy with my Pro-X's w/ gel ear cups. Great audio quality and much more rugged than my previous electronic muffs (peltor Tac S6s). The peltors were good for the money but the sordin's sure are alot nicer :D

CAZ

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of the Howard Leight Impact sport electronic muffs. They seem to work ok, but after a couple hours I have a raging headache and my ears hurt.

I think 2 things could be happening. Either the cups suck and are to much pressure on my head, and/or they emmit some kind of constant noise that gives me a headache.

I really need the ability to hear people talking for classes and such, so I like the electronic sets. In ear is not an option for me.

What will help me?

I am leery of dropping $300+ on some MSA's only to have the same problems.

I got my Supreme Pro-X 's with the gel pads from http://www.triadtactical.com/. I tried using passive muffs, but my hearing already sucks and I needed electronics. The Supreme Pro-X's are an extremely well-designed and rugged product that work perfectly. I put them on when exiting the truck and take them when getting back in. With other products, I was always wanting to take them off on the range and several times got blasted when someone shot close by. Absolutely no dead air when conversing while others are shooting close by - highly recommend.

I got my Sordin's from SRS Tactical with the standard ear seals. I thought they were fantastic until I tried a pair with the Gel inserts. WOW!!! A fantastic improvement to a very high quality unit. I would pay the $300 and know you got the best product available. While I have not owned a pair of Pro-Ears (just too bulky for my tastes), I have had just about everything else and would rate the Sordins a 10 out of 10.

Lee