Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very basic equipment to attempt ICORE competition in classic division

Couch-Commando

I am a moderately experienced competition shooter. I've been shooting USPSA, outlaw practical pistol and 3-gun since I was around 14. 99% of my handgun shooting experience is on Glocks, which I've gotten fairly good with. On my open class carry pistol (Glock 19 with RMR, Surefire X300 and compensator), I can consistently hit USPSA paper at 50 yards in a reasonable time frame, and am not much worse with my stock Glock 17.

I am, however, abysmally poor at shooting revolvers, particularly in double action. I used to own an air weight J-frame, and traded it because I can shoot better at 25 yards with my Glock 42 than I could shoot at 3 yards with the J-frame. I have decided to get back into revolvers by buying a vintage Smith and Wesson 29 with an 8 3/8 inch barrel for deer hunting. While my main intention for this is deer hunting, while I have it, I'd like to learn to shoot it well in double action. I just looked up my local gun club, and it looks like they recently started an ICORE match.  Obviously this is not the ideal firearm for ICORE competition. However, my main objective is learning to use the equipment I have and bettering myself with that equipment, rather than trying to win, which is the same approach I take to USPSA and 3-gun.

From reading the rules and division requirements, I will need a strong side holster, speed loaders, and speed loader pouches. From what I've read so far, the main speed loaders for the 44 magnum are HKS and Safariland Comp1s. I don't think the comp3 is made for 44 magnum. I am having trouble finding competition belt pouches for speed loaders, and am wondering what most people use in classic division, and if they're made for the N frame speed loaders.

Finally, I'm unsure as to the typical round count for an ICORE stage. How many speed loaders should I have to ensure a competent shooter won't run out? I figure I'm going to need double that starting out!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome. I’d go with the Safariland speed loaders over the HK. I use the holder they make too. A friend who’s handier than me made one from pvc pipe. My belt has holders for six speed loaders and I’ve never run out.

https://safariland.com/products/model-333-triple-speedloader-holder-11017

Edited by Mcfoto

Icore stages are similar in most cases to USPSA stages so figure you will need to be able to complete a 30 something round stage, with 6 round speed loaders I normally carry 6 on my belt that's 36  rounds plus the 6 I started with, I look at that as about as low as I would feel comfortable with. 

As far as competition speed loader holders you will likely have to improvise for 44 mag N frame loaders, I've never seen any competition oriented ones in that size.  

HKS loaders are likely your best bet to find in that size, I believe others were made in years gone by and you may be able to find them used but that would be a long term project. 

all that said I would suggest that you contact the match director for the ICORE matches at your club and let him know your interested and tell him your interested in trying it out and let him know what you have to work with, there is a decent chance he or someone he knows will have a rig you could use to try a match before you decide to if you want to invest in all the gear 

You might also consider loading .44 Special instead of .44 Magnum. A 200 grain bullet at 750 fps will work well. Beyond that, yes, plan for 30 round stages.

1 hour ago, mikeAZ said:

That barrel length might be a bit slow/long on the draw?... A S&W 625 x .45 maybe a better choice in the long run... BUT If your happy GO for it!

Not if a quality Speed Holster, DAA RacerX or similar.  It won't work well with a standard Speed Beez, Comp-Tac or other Kydex "pouch" holster.

On the OP, if you want trigger time with a Revolver consider picking up a used S&W L Frame or N Frame with a 4 to 5 inch barrel.

I actually started shooting USPSA Revolver Division with a 4" M29 I had cut for moon clips.  But a 625 was a much better competition platform.

Again, I know that I'm not going to be winning any prizes with a long hunting revolver. I just love using competition as a venue for practicing with what I have, and take pleasure in doing reasonably well with inappropriate equipment. For example, I occasionally shoot my Browning Citori in 3-gun and in practical shotgun matches. As far as a holster, I'm probably going to get a leather thumb break holster. This way I can practice drawing with a field holster. Part of my reasoning for competing is that this will be a carry pistol should I ever venture into bear country, and need to be able to make quick short range shots in double action should the need arise. If I get serious about it, I anticipate getting a different revolver.

I don't currently hand load, but will be starting with 44 magnum. I intend to make three loads, a 44 special, a light magnum/44 special +p type load, and a full power load. I'll be shooting specials when I start ICORE.

The range I'll be going to is Mill Creek west of Kansas City.

MikeAZ, I am actually from AJ, and shot 3-gun and Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado from age 13 until I moved away for grad school. My dad still shoots there weekly.

Hi Couch Commando-

I have a mod I made for Safariland  44 speedloaders that makes them a lot easier to use. You're welcome to stop by and have a look sometime if you like. You can PM me for the address.

Thanks for the shout out Squirrel 🤟

The image attached here is one of my L frame speed loader holders for ICORE Classic, this one is setup for H&K Speed Loaders,

I change out the center post to work with Comp 1's, 2's or 3's

I suggest a minimum of 7 holders for some of those crazy high round count stages you may see at a regional or the IRC,

yes 6 works 90% of the time but I like to have extra.

If you're interested in more info send me an email at revoshooter@verizon.net

HKS-02.jpg

Edited by 10mmdave

Start with what you have, from what you've stated there is no reason to buy another gun.

I used to shoot a 69 at our local matches and had a ball.  I used .44 Specials in Comp I Safariland's because that's all they made except the HKS'  I don't like HKs because bullets would slip out it the nob was touched by accident.  I too shot Rio Salado years ago.

Eventually I had Tom from TK Custom convert my 29 for moon clips.  Then I used .44 Russian ammo because it was faster to load then even the Specials.  I forget who made them but there use to be carriers made from spring steel that held the moons, HKs and Comps.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274708982462?epid=1400205248&hash=item3ff5ee6abe:g:O1sAAOSw6zlgQrZp

I found these on E-Bay and there are a few others there.

Have fun and good shooting.

19 hours ago, Couch-Commando said:

Again, I know that I'm not going to be winning any prizes with a long hunting revolver. I just love using competition as a venue for practicing with what I have, and take pleasure in doing reasonably well with inappropriate equipment. For example, I occasionally shoot my Browning Citori in 3-gun and in practical shotgun matches. As far as a holster, I'm probably going to get a leather thumb break holster. This way I can practice drawing with a field holster. Part of my reasoning for competing is that this will be a carry pistol should I ever venture into bear country, and need to be able to make quick short range shots in double action should the need arise. If I get serious about it, I anticipate getting a different revolver.

I don't currently hand load, but will be starting with 44 magnum. I intend to make three loads, a 44 special, a light magnum/44 special +p type load, and a full power load. I'll be shooting specials when I start ICORE.

The range I'll be going to is Mill Creek west of Kansas City.

MikeAZ, I am actually from AJ, and shot 3-gun and Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado from age 13 until I moved away for grad school. My dad still shoots there weekly.

Hey there partner!  I'm the guy running that show.  If you come out and help set up Friday July 22nd at 3:30pm I'll bring some Speed Loaders, 44 Special and 44 Russian loads much lighter than factory magnums you can use on Saturday.  I'll bring enough either day so you can sight in too.  I also have holders I'll bring for you to use.

After that you should be able to have a better idea of what you need.

Here is the Practice Score page to sign up, https://practiscore.com/mill-creek-icore-7-23-2022-clone/register

Edited by pskys2

7 hours ago, Couch-Commando said:

Pskys2, I really appreciate that! I don't think I'll have a holster in time for the July match, but I'm hopeful I can make it in August!

Come on out and I'll bring a 4" m29, gear and ammo for you to use.

Spoiler alert, it's set up for moon clips, but I'll bring some speed loaders too.

I am definitely going to try and shoot a match before year's end. From the videos I've watched, it looks like the range rules and match layout are similar to USPSA, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.

As for why I'm not immediately jumping at the opportunity to shoot in two weeks, I've got three reasons.

1) I have herniated disks, and am still recovering from my latest reinjury. For the last month I've had difficulty walking due to sciatica. I am now at the point that I can walk decently, but still with considerable pain. I'm not sure I'm going to be healthy enough to risk shooting a match in two weeks. This is always why I never volunteer to help setup at Mill Creek and stopped shooting 3-gun, despite outwardly looking like one of the young, healthy guys.

2) I'm not exaggerating how bad I am at the double action trigger press. I'm going to have to practice this extensively in dry fire with snap caps before I'm confident enough that I can hit something at any practical range. I've probably shot 20k rounds out of various Glocks, and still suffer from low-left-itis.

3) I don't currently hand load. I have about 100 rounds of magnums and 50 rounds of specials that my dad hand loaded for me for testing my lever action carbine. After that, I'm out. However, I just solved the mechanical problems with the Lee Load Master that my father-in-law gave me after he couldn't fix it, so I'm close to being able to start hand loading. I figure by the time I've sourced the rest of the components and started hand loading, my back will feel better and I'll be ready to shoot a match.

Bad Back, I feel your pain!  Do what you must to get well.

Yes ICORE is USPSA without the flaming, hair on fire speed.  It's scored Time+ so the A Zone hit takes precedence.  It's much harder to make up seconds than points.

Plus we keep it simpler, no wild positions and I don't like COF's with squatting, kneeling or mandatory prone.

Looking forward to seeing you on the range. 

At the very least put the October MC ICORE Match  October 29th, I plan on a Chili Feed and Cinamon Rolls as I did last year.

Don't hesitate to come out and check us out, say high and look over our equipment.  If we know you're coming I'm sure we can arrange some equipment options to look at.

Edited by pskys2