Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum grip?

Bakerjd

I had the old style STI aluminum grips on a shorty Open gun and MUCH MUCH MUCH preferred them over the polymer grip. Seemed like a happy medium between the polymer and the steel grips. 

The older STI grips cracked though. 

I have one on one of the guns I'm building now, my thoughts are

I much prefer the shape of the E2 grip to the plastic ones, steel and aluminum are the same for this

Most of my guns have steel comps and grips, the aluminum grip with a Ti comp has a similar balance feel but a lower overall weight (45ish vs 54ish oz on my current guns) 

I had a Cheely E2 aluminum on my open gun that I just sold. Had it on there for around 8-10k rounds. How the gun was set up I didn't. really need it for added weight so much as comfort and grip. It did hold up perfectly fine throughout the time I had it and my buddy still is shooting it set up the same way. I also put one on a 45 pin gun for my dad because of his arthritis and trouble gripping the gun. It's been great on that as well. 

It's for the girlfriend. She is currently shooting my extra fat open gun. It's about 60oz. While I like it she doesn't. Is the plastic grip smaller then the cheely? She has small hands also. 

1 hour ago, Bakerjd said:

It's for the girlfriend. She is currently shooting my extra fat open gun. It's about 60oz. While I like it she doesn't. Is the plastic grip smaller then the cheely? She has small hands also. 

If you looking for a steel grip for small hands. Check out the Limcat grip.

12 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Is the plastic grip smaller then the cheely? She has small hands also. 

Yes.  Also, you can have the plastic grip modified to be even smaller and grippier.  Or, you could just buy it that way.  This treatment resulted in a grip considerably smaller than the standard STI.  I wouldn't call it aggressive, at least not like the steel grips.  It was soft and did not slide around in sweaty hands like an STI standard grip does.

100_1257.thumb.JPG.6120271f783a4a9431db26dc1cb53ed1.JPG

love the fit and feel of the e2 aluminum grip and my hands are not big. I also had trouble with plastic grips not always dropping mags and fitting on the frame. The texture is good but an unfinished aluminum grip will blacken your hands. The lighter weight compared to steel is easy on my arms and shoulders.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 3:50 PM, MikeBurgess said:

I much prefer the shape of the E2 grip to the plastic ones, steel and aluminum are the same for this

Most of my guns have steel comps and grips, the aluminum grip with a Ti comp has a similar balance feel but a lower overall weight (45ish vs 54ish oz on my current guns) 

I was thinking of replacing a steel grip with a Cheely E2 Aluminum.  Did you go with a steel magwell to help with the balance, because I was actually considering the Cheely IPSC/IDPA magwell with the Aluminum grip but I'm concerned that it'll be a little front heavy even with a Ti comp.

3 hours ago, clw42 said:

I was thinking of replacing a steel grip with a Cheely E2 Aluminum.  Did you go with a steel magwell to help with the balance, because I was actually considering the Cheely IPSC/IDPA magwell with the Aluminum grip but I'm concerned that it'll be a little front heavy even with a Ti comp.

I have the aluminum competition magwell, in the end it really comes down to what kind of balance you like the feel of. 

in the case of this project its a extra wide frame middy top end ti comp, and it balances very similar to my heavy all steel gun but 10oz lighter. 

17 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I have the aluminum competition magwell, in the end it really comes down to what kind of balance you like the feel of. 

in the case of this project its a extra wide frame middy top end ti comp, and it balances very similar to my heavy all steel gun but 10oz lighter. 

That's basically the same set up I have, extra wide frame, middy, Ti comp though I do have a KKM Hybrid barrel.  In any case, I'm going to give it a go and see how I like it. 

On 6/28/2022 at 3:50 AM, MikeBurgess said:

which of the 2 do you like better? i have an open gun with a steel comp and plastic grip..and i like the weight of it..also have a limited gun with tungsten sleeve and steel grip around 54oz and i find it hard to transition.. was wondering how much a heavy steel grip on an open gun would help..does it help settle the dot better?

16 hours ago, kewi said:

which of the 2 do you like better? i have an open gun with a steel comp and plastic grip..and i like the weight of it..also have a limited gun with tungsten sleeve and steel grip around 54oz and i find it hard to transition.. was wondering how much a heavy steel grip on an open gun would help..does it help settle the dot better?

My open gun is heavy. 62oz. Dot doesn't move at all. It also has a limited upper and is about the same balance and weight. I found that while I thought transitions were slower they actually were not. Going from a basic STI Edge with cheely steel grip to the 5.4" heavy limited gun did have a pretty noticeable learning curve though. I had to retrain where to start slowing the gun down to not pass the targets. But after that I was actually slightly faster with transitions and 2nd shot. 

I'm currently shooting CO and about to have probably one of the heavier ones being used. CZC A01LD with the new brass Patriot Defense grips. Should be just under 58oz with empty mag. 

Personally I find heavy guns great. Some people don't though. 

On 7/16/2022 at 4:00 AM, kewi said:

I haven't shot the aluminum grip gun yet, that project got put on the back burner while I finish some other work.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:16 AM, Bakerjd said:

My open gun is heavy. 62oz. Dot doesn't move at all. It also has a limited upper and is about the same balance and weight. I found that while I thought transitions were slower they actually were not. Going from a basic STI Edge with cheely steel grip to the 5.4" heavy limited gun did have a pretty noticeable learning curve though. I had to retrain where to start slowing the gun down to not pass the targets. But after that I was actually slightly faster with transitions and 2nd shot. 

I'm currently shooting CO and about to have probably one of the heavier ones being used. CZC A01LD with the new brass Patriot Defense grips. Should be just under 58oz with empty mag. 

Personally I find heavy guns great. Some people don't though. 

wow! and i thought my limited blaster was already super heavy. those are heavy guns you have there. i may have to try a steel grip on my open gun if it really does make the dot settle better.

Edited by kewi
was unable to finish my reply

On 7/25/2022 at 11:54 AM, kewi said:

wow! and i thought my limited blaster was already super heavy. those are heavy guns you have there. i may have to try a steel grip on my open gun if it really does make the dot settle better.

A steel grip will not make the dot settle better.  It may improve the balance of the gun.  You tune your load and gun by varying the recoil spring and mainspring weights and the radius of the firing pin stop.  Flatness in an Open gun is simply the amount of gas you push through your poppels and comp ports.