Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triggers - your faves and why

Luna

Hiperfire 24c. I have four of them now. Extremely durable, robust and reliable. They are adjustable by swapping out their proprietary system coil springs. The beauty is the lighter the trigger pull gets the heavier the primer strike is. I run one in my ar9 pcc. Probably has about 20,000 rounds with no cleaning so you can imagine how dirty and gunky it is. Never had one issue. I run them in competition and duty pieces. Also it is not a drop in unit so works on the design principle that the AR was originally engineered around. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried every legit competition ar trigger and currently have several thousand worth in various rifles. There are a few that are great but which of these will work best is a bit about your preferences. Look hard at the new triggertech diamond single stage. A hyperfire eclipse is also on the short list. The calvin elite is very fast but not appropriate for less experienced shooters, I see intermediate shooters struggle to control it and prevent it from doubling. I keep one in my hoser rifle but it's disconcerting when I go to hard and it gets giggly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 8:07 PM, inertia said:

I have tried every legit competition ar trigger and currently have several thousand worth in various rifles. There are a few that are great but which of these will work best is a bit about your preferences. Look hard at the new triggertech diamond single stage. A hyperfire eclipse is also on the short list. The calvin elite is very fast but not appropriate for less experienced shooters, I see intermediate shooters struggle to control it and prevent it from doubling. I keep one in my hoser rifle but it's disconcerting when I go to hard and it gets giggly.

My 14yo son likes the Calvin and I can't talk him into any other trigger.  I'd call him a beginner - he's shot less than 1000 live rounds in his entire life and 2 matches on the clock. The last ~300 rounds were all on a Calvin.  

it's never doubled on him.  

Granted that 300 rounds isn't a large sample size ... but I give this as an example of a Calvin working perfectly for a beginner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 10:27 PM, emjbe said:

My 14yo son likes the Calvin and I can't talk him into any other trigger.  I'd call him a beginner - he's shot less than 1000 live rounds in his entire life and 2 matches on the clock. The last ~300 rounds were all on a Calvin.  

it's never doubled on him.  

Granted that 300 rounds isn't a large sample size ... but I give this as an example of a Calvin working perfectly for a beginner.

This is good news. Sounds like he has good trigger control. Consider that someone that shoots 20k rounds a year pulls the trigger pretty quickly < .15 at full speed so things may behave differently.

Edited by inertia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/6/2023 at 3:40 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Is that who's making those? I've  been tempted to grab them at the sale prices I've seen.

I picked up one for a small 11.3" build. I got the red/chrome "special addition". Was on sale for like $80.00.

Not going to replace my Hiperfires, but it is damn good. Hard to imagine a better trigger for the money. I like it better than CMC's I have used. If you have a gun and don't want to spend $300 on a trigger it is a good option, imo.

I still like the J.P. trigger the best. It might not be the lightest although at 2-2 1/2# it's plenty light. It might not be the flashiest flat faced TiN coated trigger out there, but it is a very simple trigger. There are no small parts or springs to break or wear out. The whole thing is hardened and the springs seldom wear out. For example I have one of the older style J.P. that you had to fit. It breaks at 2#, has never malfunctioned or doubled, it is in my practice rifle that is on it's 5th barrel and it just keeps on working. So figure it has at least 50,000 cycles on it not including a bit of dry fire, I'd say best bang for the $$$

10 hours ago, kurtm said:

I still like the J.P. trigger the best. It might not be the lightest although at 2-2 1/2# it's plenty light. It might not be the flashiest flat faced TiN coated trigger out there, but it is a very simple trigger. There are no small parts or springs to break or wear out. The whole thing is hardened and the springs seldom wear out. For example I have one of the older style J.P. that you had to fit. It breaks at 2#, has never malfunctioned or doubled, it is in my practice rifle that is on it's 5th barrel and it just keeps on working. So figure it has at least 50,000 cycles on it not including a bit of dry fire, I'd say best bang for the $$$

I find it funny when I read where a shooter pays big bucks for a custom JP rifle and ditches the trigger right out of the box.  I love their triggers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/24/2023 at 6:33 AM, PeterParfinik said:

Anyone ever try or have experience with a Rise Armament RA-535 ?

VS TriggerTech Diamond AR15 Single stage?

The RA-535 is a damn fine trigger especially for the price. I run it on my 12.3 SBR and on my PCCs. The pull is right below 3.5 lbs consistently and the reset is insanely short, fast, and strong. I like the feel of the face (not straight but not curved) and have been really, really happy with this trigger. If you catch it on sale around the $160-$180 range I think the bang for buck is outstanding. 

I will say I've NOT been impressed with all of RAs products unfortunately. I've had one of their charging handles fail (the only CH failure I've ever had across 5 well used rifles) and I had their RA-140 trigger break on me as well 🙃. Despite that for a competition rig I've been very impressed and happy with the 535 and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Before anyone asks, the CH failed at the gas key, not the roll pin on the latch. The metal at the bend to engage the gas key cracked and bent "up" enough that it caused the BCG to remain out of battery even when the CH was fully locked in. This was less than 1,500 rounds in. Went with BCM Gunfighters (Medium and Large latch depending on the rifle/application) and haven't looked back. 

I haven't owned all the fancy ones but I love the original JP. I do own some Larue MBT and Rise triggers. They're nice but I prefer a good single stage trigger. Simple, reliable, good value.

For some more info on the original JP trigger, you set the sear engagement/overtravel with set screws and then time the disconnector. I've always just used sandpaper on a bench. But that makes it's possible to pull a JP trigger and reuse it in a different lower, with a different disconnector...which I've also done once or twice.

I may or may not have ruined a couple disconnectors before getting a little too cheeky with the tuning as well. 😄 Last one I did came in right at 2.5 lb on my gauge with almost no creep. 

• 2 months later...

Huge fan of the Timney Calvin Elite. Super light, no ignition or reset issues, very fast. Zero creep, ultra crisp break and you can adjust the length of pull and angle to your needs, plus comes with a variety of shoes, (flat, curved, knurled cylinder, etc). 

• 4 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 6:22 AM, PeterParfinik said:

Thank you for the reply, I am going to keep my eyes open for a sale

you probably already picked up a trigger ... but the KE SLT triggers are on sale for $150.  At that price they are well worth trying out. 

Triggers (kearms.com)