Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triggers - your faves and why

Luna

I’ve been shooting multi-gun for a bit, and I built my rifle with a Geissele Super 3 Gun (regular curve) trigger since they’re a local company and have good triggers overall.  I do like the trigger particularly on distance shots, but I feel like my splits could be faster for the close-in stuff if it were straight and had a lighter draw weight than 3.1 lbs.

What are other folks shooting?

I've got CMC's, Hiperfire's, JP, Triggertech, Elftmann's and Timney's. For 3 gun my favorite is the Calvin Elite followed by the Elftmann 3 Gun. Hate 2 stage for 3 gun, never liked any Geiselle's, the Larue single stage is decent on a budget, the CMC 2.5lb is better on a budget. 

Any of them that you practice a lot with will be fine.

Here's my secret sauce for a really nice AR15/AR9 trigger.  I just use a PSA EPT trigger, which can be had for about $60-70.  Install an adjustable  Grip Screw from Joe Bob Outfitters.  Then depending on results, use either the Trigger Spring and/or Disconnector Spring (never use the hammer spring) from the KVP Reduced power trigger spring kit.  Sometimes do a light polish on the PSA trigger.  Have used this recipe on several of my own rifles/pistols and installed several for friends.  Always had good results and end up with a trigger that are equal to the high dollar Geissele triggers I have owned.  These triggers will perform for long range shooting and also give me splits and rapid fire that equal my USPSA match pistols.  Great deal for the price if you are willing to do a little minor work and enjoy the results of your own efforts!

1. Trigger...  https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-pa10-enhanced-polished-trigger.html
2. KVP Reduced Power Spring Kit... https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-AR-15-Reduced-Power-Trigger-S-p/kvp-rptk.htm
3. JoeBob Trigger Adjust Screw... https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBob-s-AR15-Grip-Screw-Trigger-Adjuster-p/jb-triggeradjuster.htm

One of the biggest things I find people figure out after buying a high end trigger is some triggers do not have enough reset return pressure on the trigger for their preference.  It might be wise to figure this out if you think you like a trigger with more or less reset return pressure.  This is completely a product of the design of the trigger.  AR Gold and TriggerTech triggers have very light reset return pressure.  Triggers like the HiperFire, Geissele Triggers have stronger reset return pressure on the trigger.  

Some feel that stronger reset return pressure helps them pull the trigger faster for blaster/close in stages and/or target arrays, when you are looking to pull the trigger as fast as possible.  

I completely remove my finger from the trigger when slapping the trigger so I do not care about return force on the trigger.  I use TriggerTech Triggers in my competition rifles. 

Something else to keep in mind if you are reloading 223 that primers that can possibly fall out of reloaded 223/5.56 ammo can muck up cassette triggers to the point the need to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair.   Traditional triggers tend to fare better when this happens.  While they can become inoperable when this happens, they can usually be taken apart by the end user to remove the primer and get the trigger working again.  If you are using commercial ammo, this is typically something you do not have to worry about.  

To be honest I do not think about the trigger at all when on the clock.  I think CMC triggers are probably one of the best bang for the buck in regards to triggers, and I doubt that trigger would hold me back from doing anything well with a rifle.  Probably get the 3.5# trigger for competition.

Maybe a couple of things to keep in mind before purchasing.  This would also narrow the field down before choosing one.  

Edited by Boomstick303

I always like playing with ar triggers off the clock but rarely care much or notice unless it's a normal mil spec or worse.  i do prefer a little bit more reset pressure but again on the clock don't really care.  I run a hiperfire ECL on my 3gun rifle because i had some light primer strikes early on before i found a cracked bolt causing it, it's fast enough and should set off any primer. 

i tried a KE arms slt2 in my wwsd lightweight "fighting/run'n'gun" ar because it's design KE says is less susceptible to the popped out primer killing trigger function. plus  the design lets you engage the safety regardless of hammer position.

My favorite trigger is the Geissele Super Dynamic 3 Gun (SD3G) but flat, and use it in my 3gun builds.

If not the Geissele, I liked the Elftmann 3gun flat - ran very smooth and how I liked. Have used CMC and Timney in the past, but wasn't a huge fan compared to the S3G.

I started with the CMC flat trigger, which was really nice except for the fact that I hated the little hook on the bottom. Instead of filing off the hook, I decided to sell it and get a Timney 3.5 and haven’t looked back. 

I prefer the geisselle ssa-e, maybe I'm not fast enough to notice the drawbacks of a 2 stage but it works great and i don't have to worry about trigger pins/set screws coming loose on the sealed unit style. I have also tried timney single stage (yellow housing?), psa ept, alg act, larue something, and geisselle G2S. The SSA-E has an amazing break for those long shots

Bang for the buck, CMC straight 3.5 we have been running these for years on 2 of our 3-gun AR's I built. Have a Timney straight on 1 rifle that is really nice, but not that nice for the extra cost.

gerritm

For single stage 3-gun trigger the original JP is hard to beat. I use this for matches weighted to close stages.

2-stage, my favorite for 3-gun is AR-Gold. I prefer this for matches weighted to long distance.

General purpose trigger.....LaRue MBT-2 is the best $79.00 trigger out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled my elftmann out after having issues with light primer strikes. they replaced a broken spring, but I never went back.  Currently running a WMD NP3 trigger in my tac-ops rifle (cleaned up and polished engagement surfaces on hammer and trigger, lightweight trigger spring, full power hammer spring, and pre-travel eliminator grip screw).  it's cheap, goes bang, has good feel and I like the reset on it.  I put the same trigger in my dad's AR10 and he loved it.  I've got an ALG trigger in another where I polished the engagement surfaces, swapped springs, and used a pre-travel eliminator screw.  did the same thing with a stainless trigger from anderson.  

An experienced shooter wouldn't mistake them for a high-end trigger, but they've never slowed me down, and I've never noticed the trigger pull when shooting at distance. 

they're cheap but they work well for me. 

The TriggerTech Diamond is the best of the best in the AR trigger world, IMO. My runner-up choice would the be the AR Gold. However, these triggers aren't for everyone. I like them because they are very crisp, have a very short rest, and can get very light (like down to 1 or 1.5 pounds if you want), which I like. However, some people don't like them because they have a somewhat weak reset, and some people like to have a strong reset that sort of helps push their finger back. Both of these triggers have a pretty light reset. It's defined, but the click is quiet and it doesn't really push your finger forward. It depends on what you like and where your priorities are.

EDIT: Never tried the Timney Calvin Elite, but heard it was good.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

• 1 month later...

Hyperfire Eclipse for competition because I like the wall/reset. For defense I run the Geissele. For my backup I have the CMC 3.5 straight that’s been very reliable and a 2.5lb in a prairie dog gun I use for long range. The hyperfire PDI is actually pretty nice for light trigger pull applications too. 

I was getting like get primer strikes with my JP (lighten) trigger with Some Russian ammo. 
I went to Hyperfire on my JP 3 gun and my JP PCC. 

I like the positive feel of the reset and don’t mind the trigger pull. 

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised to not see any mention of Larue.

For a trigger under $100, I think Larue makes the best. I'm partial to the 2 stage flat faced MBT, but I like all of the Larue offerings. I've tried flat 2stage, curved 2stage, and curved 1stage. All amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, Boomstick303 said:

I completely remove my finger from the trigger when slapping the trigger so I do not care about return force on the trigger.  I use TriggerTech Triggers in my competition rifles. 

Same here. I've never cared about the strength of the reset on any gun, rifle or handgun. I just want the most light and most crisp I can get.

• 2 weeks later...