Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I bought a 929—grip recommendations?

Fishbreath

I wanted to give the RevUp hammer a try, and also wanted to save myself from having to carry two calibers of ammunition to matches for my two Rugers, so I ordered a Smith. I'd like to sound out the forum on grip options, since I have something fairly specific that I like on my Rugers, and would like to find something similar if I can. My criteria are:

1. No finger grooves or palm swells. (Links are pictures my current grips.) I don't want a grip that has strong opinions about where my hands ought to go.

2. Lightly textured/grippy surface. I do the weak hand reload, so it's okay if my strong hand stays put.

3. Rubber is nice, although I'd take some synthetic material or even wood if it meets the other criteria.

I think the Hogue no-finger-groove rubber grips are almost what I want, although with a somewhat different grip angle, but something in the same vein without palm swells would be even better. Any ideas?

Pat Hogue built an X-Frame big butt grip to put on my 627 V-Comp (38 short colt).

What I wanted was  to add more distance from trigger to back of grip.  This is exactly what I asked for.

But a big surprise is that I'm not gripping the gun higher to get more leverage on the trigger.

Higher grip, less muzzle rise.  ALL GOOD.

2 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

If you like your super gp grips then send it into Houge and tell them to make the same exact one but make it go on an N-frame.

Now that's a good idea. I need to send them one of my Super GP cylinder releases anyway.

I know I tend to be the weird one here.  At the mesquite match I was one of two folks not using hogue grips.

But take a second to check out VZ grips.   I use their alien or their tactical diamond texture and it feels really good in the hand.  

Doesnt absorb as much recoil as a rubber grip, but it distributes it well and gives you a very nice grip texture for week hand reloads.

Edited by Sanzo

12 hours ago, Sanzo said:

I know I tend to be the weird one here.  At the mesquite match I was one of two folks not using hogue grips.

But take a second to check out VZ grips.   I use their alien of their tactical diamond texture and it feels really good in the hand.  

Doesnt absorb as much recoil as a rubber grip, but it distributes it well and gives you a very nice grip texture for week hand reloads.

Sanzo:

How does that thin screw that goes through the frame hold up?  Had a set of grips made in the same manner with the screw going through the frame.  Not sure if it was VZ or another company.  Some place in Texas anyway.  Screw was so skinny the threads never held and eventually stripped.  Returned them and got a refund.

I like the looks of their alien stuff though. 

GG

15 hours ago, Sanzo said:

But take a second to check out VZ grips.   I use their alien of their tactical diamond texture and it feels really good in the hand.  

I do like the look of them, and the through-screw doesn't bug me—same as on the Rugers. How wide are they?

Morning all

The grips have held up very well,  I have at least  10K rounds through my 929 and 4-5K each with my TRR8, and 986,  I use them on all my guns except my 44s (and for rooster, I use pachmayr diamond pro on those)

in regards to the screw, I never had any issues with mine, except one had a lower locking pin hole that was too tight and some genius thought it would be a good idea to put a screw driver through the male end of the screw hole to "knock" the two panels apart.  this dislodged the nut.   I pushed it back in and added a little gorilla glue and never was a problem again.  (also never tried taking the grips apart that way again either.

#1  the grips are cut very close to the actual frame dimensions.  they fit nice and snug.

#2  there are two 'locking' pins one where at the base of the revolver frame using the existing pin from smith, and one up near the trigger guard which just keeps the two panels locked up.

#3  there is a third 'guide' pin that sits just at the top of the cut out in the grip of the gun.  this pin is movable and you set it for the correct hole to mate up cleanly to your gun.

one other cool benefit is if you do the round 2 square conversion grips, the overall size is big enough that you can remove a little material from the inside of the grip and it will easily fit your square but grips as well.  use this on my m25 and my m15

Downside - while they are comfortable to shoot minor loads with, they get uncomfortable quickly for major loads.  I wouldn't want to spend a full match shooting 165 pf loads through one, but for a 100 round range trip.  no biggie.

I'll take a couple of pictures later and post them up.   must say I'm a big fan.

Edited by Sanzo

5 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Sanzo:

How does that thin screw that goes through the frame hold up?  Had a set of grips made in the same manner with the screw going through the frame.  Not sure if it was VZ or another company.  Some place in Texas anyway.  Screw was so skinny the threads never held and eventually stripped.  Returned them and got a refund.

I like the looks of their alien stuff though. 

GG

Hogue even makes a G10 N Frame Revolver Grip, and it's a mono grip.  https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips-for-smith-wesson/n-frame-revolvers/roundbutt/conversion/g10

Edited by pskys2

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Hogue even makes a G10 N Frame Revolver Grip, and it's a mono grip.  https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips-for-smith-wesson/n-frame-revolvers/roundbutt/conversion/g10

The grips I have fallen into are these.  https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips-for-smith-wesson/n-frame-revolvers/roundbutt/n-rd-conver-pau-ferro-top-finger-groove

The jury is still out about the single finger groove.  I have the JM pair that came with the 625 and had problems with getting a consistent grip due to its narrowness and nothing to index my middle finger on.  So I next bought a Hogue with a similar design except with a wide palm swell and found that my little finger tended to be flapping instead of supporting so I went with the ones I linked to.  My little finger grips the base of that one and the single finger groove has allowed me to get a more consistent hand position.

I have two pair of Big Butt grips too.  One with the diamond stippling and the other smooth.  Found I didn't like the diamond feel and would rather have a grip I can move my hand around on easily if necessary so put the smooth Big Butt on the 625 and never looked back.  Seems perfect for the recoil and balance.  Sucked for Steel Challenge though.  I find them slow and bulky but they sure are solid.  The ones in the above link are about as good as I can find for me right now but am always open to something new.  At least now I know what sort of design suits me.  Just a lot of money spent finding out.

I dislike the issued rubber S&W grips because they feel mushy and are too narrow.  The finger grooves are not that comfortable for me either. 

GG

I'm a fan of the Hogue Big Butt rubber no finger groove grip. I shoot steel challenge mostly and really like how they allow me to move my hand around as needed and the butt keeps my hand placement in check.

Ive used the g10 piranha grips for a long time, took the finger grooves off and part of the left side grip to not interfere with reloads. Great balance for me between aggressive and not tearing apart my hands. 

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips-for-smith-wesson/n-frame-revolvers/roundbutt/conversion/s-w-n-frame-round-butt-conversion-finger-grooves-piranha-grip-g10-solid-black

I've been using Hogue Big Butt grips for years without the finger grooves.  I find them to be very comfortable and have a number of pair.

Playing with my grip I found that I couldn't get a really good purchase of my gun.  My strong hand was slipping and I never felt that my pinky was doing any good.

I ordered a set of grips from Altamont to try and they are a big improvement for me.  My had seems to naturally fit and when I'm shooting I do not have to reseat my grip.

617 with Altamont Grips.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 7:50 PM, pskys2 said:

I'm using the JM Grip with skateboard tape added to it.  

Bang, Hogue and Brownells carries them.

Isn't the whole point of the JM grip is that it lets your hand slip and slide around on it while you are shifting the gun from  hand to hand and back again?  You know, until you decide to apply your steel-vise-like Jerry strength once you get your hand back where you want it?  

Edited by Carmoney

22 minutes ago, Carmoney said:

Isn't the whole point of the JM grip is that it lets your hand slip and slide around on it while you are shifting the gun from  hand to hand and back again?  You know, until you decide to apply your steel-vise-like Jerry strength once you get your hand back where you want it?  

Yep that's what JM says.  But you know me, gotta be different.

Seriously, I started using a scoop draw from hands relaxed and it gave me a better initial grip, yet the grip tape on the sides allows my hands to grip the sides and further control the recoil.  Worked good enough to get this geezer Top Super Senior at the Revolver Nationals.