Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, telligentgunner said:

What are the upsides and downsides of the JHP, FMJ, and plated (and any others I'm missing). 

The thin plating on plated bullets can come off during the firing process and cause excessive leading in the barrel and compensator.  The JHPs are arguably the most accurate, but could cause feeding problems in some guns.  FMJs might be a little less accurate, but will usually run reliably in any gun.

If your gun will run them with no problems, and you don’t mind paying a little more for them, JHPs would typically be the best choice.  If you don’t want to pay quite as much and/or want to maximize reliability for your particular gun, and you don’t mind potentially giving up a little accuracy, go with the FMJs.  If you want to save money, are satisfied with “good enough” accuracy, and don’t mind cleaning your gun a bit more, go with the plated bullets.

10 minutes ago, DwightSchrute said:

The thin plating on plated bullets can come off during the firing process and cause excessive leading in the barrel and compensator.  The JHPs are arguably the most accurate, but could cause feeding problems in some guns.  FMJs might be a little less accurate, but will usually run reliably in any gun.

If your gun will run them with no problems, and you don’t mind paying a little more for them, JHPs would typically be the best choice.  If you don’t want to pay quite as much and/or want to maximize reliability for your particular gun, and you don’t mind potentially giving up a little accuracy, go with the FMJs.  If you want to save money, are satisfied with “good enough” accuracy, and don’t mind cleaning your gun a bit more, go with the plated bullets.

Great, thanks.

4 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

What are the upsides and downsides of the JHP, FMJ, and plated (and any others I'm missing). 

You can also getting a little leading with FMJ bullets as the bottom of the bullet that is in contact with the powder is lead and not plated over like they are in JHP bullets which can vaporize with hotter powders.  

I have been running FMJ for a bit when I was running my GMR15 because out of the blue my GMR was chocking on PD (Precision Delta) V1 JHP bullets.  Since then, PD created a rounded nose (at least more rounded) JHP Version 2 of the JHP bullet that my PCCs which work great.  Most PCC do not have a feed ramp or any sort really, so some Hollow points can have issues feeding depending on the angle of the tip of the bullet.  For instance my GMR was fine with Montana Gold 124 gr JHP bullets, but did not like the PD 124 gr V1 JHP.  The angles on the tip of the bullet were slightly different but enough to create feeding issues for me.  

I am using up all of the FMJ bullets but found that I have leading on the comp.  I do not get any leading when using JHP bullets.  I was also able to use Everglades plated with no leading.  My accuracy with the Plated were just as good as any other bullet I have used. 

Note this is my experience and I am not using hotter powders like Tite Group.  Others may not have the same results for whatever reasons.  

hi i just got jp-5. pretty excited about it. 

i got 16 inch barrel, is it worth cut to 14.5 and pin & weld? right now is 16inch with tactical comp.

i want to go with vertical comp, should i keep 16 inch or cut to 14.5 

it just seems very front heavy. also any recommendations for saving some weights?

any upgrade recommendations are greatly appreciated.

thank you!  

1445.jpg

7 hours ago, OliverLee said:

i got 16 inch barrel, is it worth cut to 14.5 and pin & weld? right now is 16inch with tactical comp.

it just seems very front heavy. also any recommendations for saving some weights?

thank you!  

1445.jpg

Whats your load data? Just my worthless opinion and no data to back it up but if you’re running something like N320 / Titegroup loads I doubt you will see much if any improvement with the vertical port comp. Just not much gas / pressure there. A slightly slower powder would probably be in order. However with the barrel length/ leverage it creates just a small amount of downward force may be noticeable. I went with the steel challenge models simply for the weight savings. I’ve kicked around the idea of going to a vertical port comp but am saving that for a last resort. Lot of debate on carbine comps with no data and of course, everyone has a different opinion. 

As far as putting it on a diet, earlier in this thread the guys have several recommendations that may be helpful.   If you do elect to change comps please post your findings. Inquiring minds want to know. 
Thanks - PTR

Used intelligently, plated bullets will not lead up your comp.  Some thinly plated bullets like those in Blazer Brass ammo will definitely flake off.  Even CCI says not to use them in comp'd guns.  The plating on Blazer Al cased ammo is thicker and can be used.

Manufacturers of plated bullets tell you what velocity range the bullet is good for.  Standard plating is usually good for up to 1200fps.  Heavy plate is good for 1500fps (1400 from one mfg.)  If you stay within those parameters, you'll have no issues.  I've shot thousands of plated bullets through my guns, comp'd and regular barrel, with zero issues.  After two years of plated, you can still see the machining marks on the bottom of the comp ports in my minor Open gun.  No lead.  Just a light coating of carbon.

Another reason to like plated is they are much safer than cast lead or coated on steel.

Just got my JP-5, put on the top and offset optics, zeroed the gun, and discovered scuffs which means the ejected casings are hitting the offset optic.

If you have a offset optic, where are you mounting it where it doesn't get hit by ejected brass?

1445.jpg

I have a feeling the same is going to happen with this person's rifle.

Edited by telligentgunner
1 minute ago, telligentgunner said:

Just got my JP-5, put on the top and offset optics, zeroed the gun, and discovered scuffs which means the ejected casings are hitting the offset optic.

If you have a offset optic, where are you mounting it where it doesn't get hit by ejected brass?

Mine gets hit by ejected brass as well. I think the only option is to mount it forward of the main optic. I decided to don't care. Hopefully the offset doesn't break... On stages where I don't specifically plan to use it, I keep the protective hood on. Which is most of the time.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:48 AM, OliverLee said:

thank you!  

1445.jpg

I was debating on doing the same s#!t to my MPX. Got quotes. Put parts in carts to buy. I decided the 4-5oz I’d save isn’t with the hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Spend the $$ on ammo and practice.  It’s the Indian not the arrow that matters. Is that hate speech?! 

3 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I was debating on doing the same s#!t to my MPX. Got quotes. Put parts in carts to buy. I decided the 4-5oz I’d save isn’t with the hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Spend the $$ on ammo and practice.  It’s the Indian not the arrow that matters. Is that hate speech?! 

I agree. Many people put too much into the weight. It's a matter of preference too. Look at Josh Froelich. He's putting on more weight on his.

17 minutes ago, GrumpyNO said:

I agree. Many people put too much into the weight. It's a matter of preference too. Look at Josh Froelich. He's putting on more weight on his.

My MPX was just shy of 10lbs when fully loaded!  

12 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

Honestly, on the hand guard to get questions on social. It's funny that people don't think you can use the rail, much less an index, to aim at the distances you're using an offset most of the time. 

Running a holo like a UH-1 made me realize I don't really use the offset all that much with such a big window. 

I really dig the PRS Lite on my JP5 with the modular handguard. It's beefy in the right spots. 

Balance is more important than weight to me, but everybody's different...Shaving ounces gets expensive quick, not to mention a loaded mag is 1.5 lb.

I agree with you all, the reason why i was thinking cutting barrel, put lighter handguard etc was my jp5 is super front heavy, and it just didnt seem right to me. When i held my friends pcc, it was well balanced that i didnt notice its 7.5lbs.

Edited by OliverLee
1 hour ago, OliverLee said:

I agree with you all, the reason why i was thinking cutting barrel, put lighter handguard etc was my jp5 is super front heavy, and it just did seem right to me. When i held my friends pcc, it was well balanced that i didnt notice its 7.5lbs.

Put on the Brekke carbon handguard. I’ll sell you mine. I originally bought it to make an identical copy of the Max Leograndis’ gun. But once I got mine I didn’t see the point as the gun is too light in my opinion 

16 hours ago, OliverLee said:

I agree with you all, the reason why i was thinking cutting barrel, put lighter handguard etc was my jp5 is super front heavy, and it just didnt seem right to me. When i held my friends pcc, it was well balanced that i didnt notice its 7.5lbs.

I'm also in the minority of shooters that prefer and shoot a slightly heavier PCC. The ultralights move too much on transitions and don't settle as well on long shots for me. 

I also prefer a much heavier rifle in 3 gun competitions for similar reasons. In both, I've found minimal gain from a wicked light rifle. Instead my times and hits are objectively better with mid-weight setup. 

On 4/4/2023 at 4:43 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

Honestly, on the hand guard to get questions on social. It's funny that people don't think you can use the rail, much less an index, to aim at the distances you're using an offset most of the time. 

Running a holo like a UH-1 made me realize I don't really use the offset all that much with such a big window. 

I been playing these games a long time.....I'm tying to wrap my head around a second offset dot. Why ya all doin that??

23 minutes ago, mpeltier said:

I been playing these games a long time.....I'm tying to wrap my head around a second offset dot. Why ya all doin that??

Two reasons. To use on a hard weak side lean, and to shoot over low barricades.

Edited by GrumpyNO
On 4/6/2023 at 3:17 PM, mpeltier said:

As a lefty whose main club has small bays I get stuck with hard leans pretty frequently. 

I use my offset dot for those leans, its faster than switching shoulders especially for a single target. 

I use it basically once a match. 

Edited by Z-Chaos-Factor
8 minutes ago, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

As a lefty whose main club has small bays I get stuck with hard leans pretty frequently. 

I use my offset dot for those leans, its faster than switching shoulders especially for a single target. 

Lefty here w/ a Holo 510 on my JP5 so recs. for a mount & optic plz.