Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

12 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

[Long post, might bunch some panties, details and pics at the end]

I’m lucky enough to be one of the first “regulars” to pick up a JP5 from my local dealer.  Unless it’s winter, it can be sometimes good to live near JP and Arnzen  🙂

Some context: I shoot some local PCC (but mostly CO and a bit of Open pistol) and have a GMR and a newish MPX competition.  I have owned a number of PCCs from MP5s to Scorpions to B&T APCs and others.  

Unpopular initial take: I shot the MPX and JP5 back to back a few times over this weekend and…well, the MPX shoots softer and flatter with factory 115 ammo (Norma and Federal).  I know this will be an unpopular take, but that’s what I felt (along with a few other folks) with 4 types of factory 115 ammo.  The JP5 was flatter shooting than my GMR but the MPX had it beat.  Split times were in the same ball park for all three but the recoil impulse wasnt great for the JP5.  With the factory loads, it flung brass far so it seems like the locking piece wasn’t quite right for 115gr at ~1200 FPS.  After the first few mags, I wasn’t sure I spent my money well….and it was a rare JP letdown.  But I was wrong…

A buddy offered up some Federal 150 syntech, the JP5 was BY FAR superior and it came alive!  It shot a lot like an MP5 in feel and recoil impulse but softer and faster.  My MPX won’t even run the 150 syntechs well.  The difference was literally laughable - everyone who shot it laughed their asses off.  It was unbelievable and still processing all of it.  With some hand loads I bet it runs amazing.  I’m smitten….

I was pretty skeptical about it after shooting factory 115 ammo and hope a 70 degree locking piece becomes available shortly from JP so I can do some tuning for some faster hand loads (I like them for longer shots).  Otherwise, a hand load with a heavier bullet around 130-135 PF would likely be great as it comes with the 80 degree locking piece.  

The JP5 is a game changer - I’m now a believer…and now need to sell my GMR so I can afford the thing.  

A few details for those interested:

- You can’t run cartridge triggers at this time. Even JPs versions.  There’s a lever inside the lower that makes cartridge triggers not possible (see pics).  I’m running a Geissele 3 gun and it works great.  
- The barrel is not a slip fit like the GMR - it’s threaded in so hand guard changes are a bit more complicated (not sure if they are cryo fit or not).  
- The silent capture spring is just two steel weights and is very light.   Quite the opposite of the blitzkreig and tungsten weight I run on my GMR.  JP recommended I not mess with it but a few folks in the know seemed to think otherwise.  I won’t second guess it for now and think the locking piece is a better (and simpler) answer.   
- The ergos are awesome for left hand mag releases the left side mag release is in a good spot.  The right hand (well, right finger) bolt release works great with not a lot of pressure.  
- It runs a radian MCX charging handle - says so right on it with the JP logo as well.  Interesting and nice that it’s not a proprietary part.  
- The quality and fit and finish is typical JP - excellent and it makes me feel bad when I pick up the MPX.  

Anyway, I don’t post much but didn’t see a lot from regular joes with a JP5 so figured I would share.  Let me know if you have any questions until the specifics are more available.  

341999E3-2A34-4CAA-9140-888C2DAE3266.jpeg

3CD001D6-570F-4D67-86EF-7C9559E7EDB2.jpeg

41064E5B-6700-40DE-BF20-A2DB535670E1.jpeg

Thanks for the review, I wish more people were posting about it. But I'm sure that's because not many people have them yet. It'll be interesting to see what triggers work and which ones don't.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

It'll be interesting to see what triggers work and which ones don't.

As pointed out to me early in the thread, Max Leograndis has already pretty much fleshed out the triggers that do not work and the ones that do work.  Pretty much looks like the SD-3G or factory for the most part.

On 1/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, Maxamundo said:

The toggle springs in Hiperfires interfere.

Large cartridges interfere (AR Gold/Timney DH 3-Gun, Triggertech).

CMC "cartridge" interferes stock but I made it fit with a pair of tin snips by cutting the extra metal above the pins. Good budget option imo, very underrated trigger. Advertised 3.5 lbs but in reality they pull 2.5-3 lbs with little break in. 

Timney calvin elite does install because the housing is small, but didn't work well. It pulls at 1.25-1.5 lbs with a decent reset force (more than AR Gold). When first installed I thought it was the dream trigger, I was able to get 0.07-0.08 splits on demand, and even the occasional 0.06 (shown by AMG labs timer, not exactly how it's calculated. Could it have been a 0.69 split rounded down? Idk). After about 500 rounds it started bursting uncontrollably. I didn't try it with a much heavier hammer spring. Might be something to look into.

Geissele SD3G has been flawless. Pulls at 2.25 lbs with over 1lb reset force. Toss up between this and ECL in my opinion, but in blowbacks the SD3G doesn't work well. Never used it in blowback because the system is too violent and Geisseles burst too easily. JP5 is very nice to triggers in my experience so far. .10 splits on demand is easy.

Edited by Boomstick303
2 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

As pointed out to me early in the thread, Max Leograndis has already pretty much fleshed out the triggers that do not work and the ones that do work.  Pretty much looks like the SD-3G or factory for the most part.

On 1/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, Maxamundo said:

The toggle springs in Hiperfires interfere.

Large cartridges interfere (AR Gold/Timney DH 3-Gun, Triggertech).

CMC "cartridge" interferes stock but I made it fit with a pair of tin snips by cutting the extra metal above the pins. Good budget option imo, very underrated trigger. Advertised 3.5 lbs but in reality they pull 2.5-3 lbs with little break in. 

Timney calvin elite does install because the housing is small, but didn't work well. It pulls at 1.25-1.5 lbs with a decent reset force (more than AR Gold). When first installed I thought it was the dream trigger, I was able to get 0.07-0.08 splits on demand, and even the occasional 0.06 (shown by AMG labs timer, not exactly how it's calculated. Could it have been a 0.69 split rounded down? Idk). After about 500 rounds it started bursting uncontrollably. I didn't try it with a much heavier hammer spring. Might be something to look into.

Geissele SD3G has been flawless. Pulls at 2.25 lbs with over 1lb reset force. Toss up between this and ECL in my opinion, but in blowbacks the SD3G doesn't work well. Never used it in blowback because the system is too violent and Geisseles burst too easily. JP5 is very nice to triggers in my experience so far. .10 splits on demand is easy.

Oh yeah I remember reading that now. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Looks like you replaced the trigger, pistol grip, stock and comp.

Yes - just my personal preferences.  I find the JP triggers a bit too heavy and prefer 45 degree throw safeties.  The PRS lite stock adds a bit of weight to the back and is very solid.  It’s still more than half a pound lighter than my MPX and the weight is to the rear so it swings very fast.  

However, the comp is pinned and welded from the factory so it’s not an SBR and it’s included on the “basic” all purpose carbine build: https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=RR-JP5G940/TCAPC

I would have liked the competition comp but there really isn’t much of a difference between them (according to JP).  It’s still a 9mm through a long barrel so not a lot of blast to actually use for each shot.  

1 hour ago, Magdumper said:

I shot it in my first match with it yesterday, and it was my first time ever shooting a PCC in a match. I took first place in PCCO, 3rd overall, in steel challenge, and was 83% of a RFPO GM. The 5 stages I shot classified as a 77%, 80%, 81%, 82%, and 97%. The 97% on outer limits had a fastest time of 2.12 I was proud of. Overall the gun shot great and I am very happy with it!

It has about 500 rounds through it total, never skipping a beat. The accuracy has improved even more, and it groups 1 inch at 35 yards. I am shooting RMR JHP 124 grains over 4.2 grains of titegroup, but it also works well with my CO minor load of the same bullet over 3.9 grains of bullseye. I can't really tell the difference between the two loads.

I am more of a USPSA shooter and haven't shot steel challenge in 1.5 years or so - for reference last time I shot it I was a high B CO shooter. With 1 more good stage I would make M which would be cool, and GM is definitely not out of the picture, but I am going to focus more on USPSA.

It’s always hard when you want to shoot all the divisions 🙂

Any idea what the power factor is for your load?

1 hour ago, Magdumper said:

The 97% on outer limits had a fastest time of 2.12 I was proud of.

The timer probably didn't pick up your last shot as the fastest world championship time from Grant K. was a second above this.

Edit: Nevermind, realized this was in reference to SC-106 Pendulum instead of Outer Limits.

I was about to ask you to teach me how to teleport 🤯

Edited by CClassForLife
Corrected SC stage
40 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

Yes - just my personal preferences.  I find the JP triggers a bit too heavy and prefer 45 degree throw safeties.  The PRS lite stock adds a bit of weight to the back and is very solid.  It’s still more than half a pound lighter than my MPX and the weight is to the rear so it swings very fast.  

However, the comp is pinned and welded from the factory so it’s not an SBR and it’s included on the “basic” all purpose carbine build: https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=RR-JP5G940/TCAPC

I would have liked the competition comp but there really isn’t much of a difference between them (according to JP).  It’s still a 9mm through a long barrel so not a lot of blast to actually use for each shot.  

Thanks for the review.

Does the JP-5 accept any standard AR-15 safety? I also prefer the 45 degree throw safeties

44 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

I guess its just me but for a three to four thousand dollar over priced competition PCC , I would

expect a better stock, pistol grip, trigger and safety.

It does sound like after changing these things that the gun preforms.

3 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

It does sound like after changing these things that the gun preforms.

Really????  You think that the stock, trigger and safety change how the gun performs?  I could see how one could think a trigger could affect say splits, but other than that the stock and safety affect how the gun performs how exactly?  

$3000-$4000 dollar guns are not for everyone.  But leave it at that.  Not how a grip and/or safety make or break how a gun performs.  

2 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Really????  You think that the stock, trigger and safety change how the gun performs?  I could see how one could think a trigger could affect say splits, but other than that the stock and safety affect how the gun performs how exactly?  

$3000-$4000 dollar guns are not for everyone.  But leave it at that.  Not how a grip and/or safety make or break how a gun performs.  

I mentioned those changes to say in my opinion that they should already come on a expensive competition gun.

Not that they would make the gun run better. But I do believe a good stock that balances a gun better.

A better pistol grip that positions the trigger finger better. A 45 degree safety that comes off faster.

As you say, better splits and accuracy with a better trigger.

Do they make the gun run better, probably not but they sure make the gun perform better.

That is why most serious competitors change them.

That is how exactly.

Yeah y

1 hour ago, CClassForLife said:

The timer probably didn't pick up your last shot as the fastest world championship time from Grant K. was a second above this.

Edit: Nevermind, realized this was in reference to SC-106 Pendulum instead of Outer Limits.

I was about to ask you to teach me how to teleport 🤯

You were right yeah I edited my post lol

And to everyone talking about the trigger, the stock one is utterly incredible. I really don't think it would realistically hold anyone back. I absolutely would not change it, I like it much better than my S3G in my ar and that is an amazing trigger too. I have only ran SRP through it and no issues.

As for grips and stocks, I prefer the MFT stock on all my guns and it came with that (steel challenge model), I changed to a BCM grip.

1 hour ago, uhmeebuh said:

It’s always hard when you want to shoot all the divisions 🙂

Any idea what the power factor is for your load?

In my 3.9 inch p320, they are 131 and 140; they chrono basically indentically in the JP. In my HK USP, they are ~135 and 147. Yes, the HK shoots faster than the JP5, but these are fast burning powder competition loads, I have not tried it with slower powder.

15 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

That is why most serious competitors change them.

Serious competitors change these items out of almost any gun the compete with to fit THEIR preference.  Not because its functionality issue.  Three people who own the gun say the stock trigger is not holding them back.  I will believe them before I believe someone who doesn't own the gun.  

8 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Serious competitors change these items out of almost any gun the compete with to fit THEIR preference.  Not because its functionality issue.  Three people who own the gun say the stock trigger is not holding them back.  I will believe them before I believe someone who doesn't own the gun.  

If you believe that,

That's okay.

On 8/14/2022 at 6:52 PM, uhmeebuh said:

[Long post, might bunch some panties, details and pics at the end]

I’m lucky enough to be one of the first “regulars” to pick up a JP5 from my local dealer.  Unless it’s winter, it can be sometimes good to live near JP and Arnzen  🙂

Some context: I shoot some local PCC (but mostly CO and a bit of Open pistol) and have a GMR and a newish MPX competition.  I have owned a number of PCCs from MP5s to Scorpions to B&T APCs and others.  

Unpopular initial take: I shot the MPX and JP5 back to back a few times over this weekend and…well, the MPX shoots softer and flatter with factory 115 ammo (Norma and Federal).  I know this will be an unpopular take, but that’s what I felt (along with a few other folks) with 4 types of factory 115 ammo.  The JP5 was flatter shooting than my GMR but the MPX had it beat.  Split times were in the same ball park for all three but the recoil impulse wasnt great for the JP5.  With the factory loads, it flung brass far so it seems like the locking piece wasn’t quite right for 115gr at ~1200 FPS.  After the first few mags, I wasn’t sure I spent my money well….and it was a rare JP letdown.  But I was wrong…

A buddy offered up some Federal 150 syntech, the JP5 was BY FAR superior and it came alive!  It shot a lot like an MP5 in feel and recoil impulse but softer and faster.  My MPX won’t even run the 150 syntechs well.  The difference was literally laughable - everyone who shot it laughed their asses off.  It was unbelievable and still processing all of it.  With some hand loads I bet it runs amazing.  I’m smitten….

I was pretty skeptical about it after shooting factory 115 ammo and hope a 70 degree locking piece becomes available shortly from JP so I can do some tuning for some faster hand loads (I like them for longer shots).  Otherwise, a hand load with a heavier bullet around 130-135 PF would likely be great as it comes with the 80 degree locking piece.  

The JP5 is a game changer - I’m now a believer…and now need to sell my GMR so I can afford the thing.  

A few details for those interested:

- You can’t run cartridge triggers at this time. Even JPs versions.  There’s a lever inside the lower that makes cartridge triggers not possible (see pics).  I’m running a Geissele 3 gun and it works great.  
- The barrel is not a slip fit like the GMR - it’s threaded in so hand guard changes are a bit more complicated (not sure if they are cryo fit or not).  
- The silent capture spring is just two steel weights and is very light.   Quite the opposite of the blitzkreig and tungsten weight I run on my GMR.  JP recommended I not mess with it but a few folks in the know seemed to think otherwise.  I won’t second guess it for now and think the locking piece is a better (and simpler) answer.   
- The ergos are awesome for left hand mag releases the left side mag release is in a good spot.  The right hand (well, right finger) bolt release works great with not a lot of pressure.  
- It runs a radian MCX charging handle - says so right on it with the JP logo as well.  Interesting and nice that it’s not a proprietary part.  
- The quality and fit and finish is typical JP - excellent and it makes me feel bad when I pick up the MPX.  

Anyway, I don’t post much but didn’t see a lot from regular joes with a JP5 so figured I would share.  Let me know if you have any questions until the specifics are more available.  

341999E3-2A34-4CAA-9140-888C2DAE3266.jpeg

3CD001D6-570F-4D67-86EF-7C9559E7EDB2.jpeg

41064E5B-6700-40DE-BF20-A2DB535670E1.jpeg

How do you like running the PRS lite vs a lighter AR-15 stock?

3 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

How do you like running the PRS lite vs a lighter AR-15 stock?

It’s just my personal preference - it’s heavier but more solid than the adjustable stocks and the length of pull works for me (6’2 and a wide wing span).  Same cheek height as the adjustable stock but helps balance it a bit better IMO.  The full PRS stock is a lot heavier and didn’t work for me.  It also matches my 3 gun carbine so it’s nice for consistency.      

1 hour ago, uhmeebuh said:

It’s just my personal preference - it’s heavier but more solid than the adjustable stocks and the length of pull works for me (6’2 and a wide wing span).  Same cheek height as the adjustable stock but helps balance it a bit better IMO.  The full PRS stock is a lot heavier and didn’t work for me.  It also matches my 3 gun carbine so it’s nice for consistency.      

Thank you. Was curious how well it balanced out the JP-5 or if it made it rear heavy.

On 8/17/2022 at 5:15 PM, mrvip27 said:

Thank you. Was curious how well it balanced out the JP-5 or if it made it rear heavy.

No - it balances well with a mag in it but I don’t have the competition comp or the cooling fins (not sure they’re needed with a PCC).  The factory stock is was too light and I prefer the solid and fixed LOP.  I’m a fan 🙂

Edited by uhmeebuh
On 8/15/2022 at 12:12 PM, Magdumper said:

And to everyone talking about the trigger, the stock one is utterly incredible. I really don't think it would realistically hold anyone back. I absolutely would not change it, I like it much better than my S3G in my ar and that is an amazing trigger too. I have only ran SRP through it and no issues.

Stock trigger works fine but I prefer a flat blade. 

With the stock trigger, 0.10-0.13s at 10 yard A zones are standard. 

Getting used to a mushy Glock mag lol. Reloads are a little off my MPX pace. 

Love the Techwell. 

Sub-second close reloads. 

Edited by -JCN-
19 hours ago, -JCN- said:

Stock trigger works fine but I prefer a flat blade. 

With the stock trigger, 0.10-0.13s at 10 yard A zones are standard. 

Getting used to a mushy Glock mag lol. Reloads are a little off my MPX pace. 

Love the Techwell. 

Sub-second close reloads. 

Looks fast to me! haha!

How are you liking the Eley PCC ammo?

Also, when you're reloading, are you using a big stick and beer can reload or a smaller mag and reload it like a pistol?

6E04D2BC-2F7F-4399-896A-9409CA265D00.thumb.jpeg.3a10172268dd2320410bd78e820e49bd.jpegjust received my Steel Challenge model.

Only able to shoot about 50 rounds, but pretty cool so far.

Shot some Syntech 124 and Eley PCC, ejection is positive, recoil is super soft, very little dot movement.

A friend has the competition version. Not sure if all the differences, comp, handguard, buttstock.

Edited by eerw
43 minutes ago, eerw said:

just received my Steel Challenge model.

Only able to shoot about 50 rounds, but pretty cool so far.

2732DC2E-2032-46AC-B82F-DD84522C1662.jpeg.4e5419f699f02273b455daa32e10b558.jpeg

Nice! I prefer the handguard and buttstock of the Steel Challenge version, but I don’t know about the muzzle. The PCC version should be better for… PCC? Or no? 😂

I shoot only PCC but still thinking what version should I have to put my money in…

Early feedback.  The comp model is freaking amazing and a joy to shoot.  It is my first PCC, so I can't give any type of comparisons.  It's also my first time shooting PCC.  However, I'm not quite as bad as I thought I would be.  I'm a mid-B class Carry Optics shooter but at yesterday's match, I shot 77.5% (A) on 99-21.  

I'm using my load developed for my Shadow 2.  147 FP Blue bullet, N320, 134PF.  (roll-sized, case gauged, range pickup)

Sighting it in and testing it out, the cases are basically falling out of the gun.  Had about 10 stovepipes in the first 100 rounds with standard glock 17 round mags. 

Next day practicing on a stage under the timer, 32rd glock mag, after 2 shots on steel, had the same malfunction that Max described.  A case failed to extract and ended up stuck on top of a round that was mostly into the chamber.  I needed a hook to grab the rim to extract.  

First USPSA competition yesterday. Only a single malfunction in 200rds which I believe was magazine related.  A double feed using a Glock 32rd with MBX 47rd extension.  Had to drop the mag to clear.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with cases that just fall out of the gun, at least from my pistol shooting.  That is not a recipe for reliability.  I am going to work on developing a load specifically for this gun using 115 or 124 plated.  Given the amount of build up on the comp after shooting 500 rds with the coated blues, I want to do this anyway.  

One other note, the gun is freaking quiet!  Older timer at my home club was not picking up a lot of my shots (without the RO getting close like it was a 22.)

For PCC, or this gun specifically, what type of distance should I be looking for the brass to come out of the gun?  

Just to reiterate, I believe ALL issues I've had were ammo/mag related.  I just don't think my Carry Optics 134PF load has enough umph to run the action AS IT IS SET UP.  I could reconfigure some things on the gun, but I think I'd rather just develop a load specific to it.