Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upside down cases from Dillon case feeder

Just got done setting up my 2nd Dillon, an RL1100. Both have case feeders, the 1100 has the newer variable speed one. Both give me an upside down case at about the same rate, 1-2 in a 100. I can live with it and all, but wondering what others experience is. Is there something I can tweak to decrease this issue? I can't imagine folks that motorize these things can tolerate any flipped cases, so there must be someway to clean this up. 

To much brass as @AHI indicated.  Check to make sure your plate is seated properly on the drive motor properly.  Make sure it is pressed down onto the pin completely.  Observe the case feeder operate and see if the plate is running flat as it runs (i.e. the plate is not wobbling).  You can hold a bucket under the feeder discharge after removing the feed tube and try to see why the feeder is not flipping all of the cases as it operates continuously.  If the plate is too high it does not allow gravity to cause the upside down cases to tumble out properly.

Also play around with speed.  It seems to run better faster even though the pace of reloading does not require that pace.  

Thanks for the suggestions. It is level, bench is wall anchored and it has the correct plate. I never load more than 200 9mm's in the hopper. Is that too much?

I'll watch the plate to check for wobble and fully seated. 

On 8/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, jejb said:

I never load more than 200 9mm's in the hopper. Is that too much?

I'm not sure the motor on the Dillon variable speed case feeder can handle much more than that.  I had issues when I dumped a large 24 oz cupful of 9mm brass (around 275 9mm) into my case feeder.   It would stop working until I let the motor cool off an and would restart.  Probably exceeded the thermal limits.

You might want to check and see if the case is bouncing in the funnel as it drops and flipping upside down. 

2 hours ago, 67isb said:

I'm not sure the motor on the Dillon variable speed case feeder can handle much more than that.

Well, 200 seems like a really low number to me, especially given the size of the hopper.

13 hours ago, 67isb said:

I'm not sure the motor on the Dillon variable speed case feeder can handle much more than that.  I had issues when I dumped a large 24 oz cupful of 9mm brass (around 275 9mm) into my case feeder.   It would stop working until I let the motor cool off an and would restart.  Probably exceeded the thermal limits.

You might want to check and see if the case is bouncing in the funnel as it drops and flipping upside down. 

It's not just the variable speed feeder. I have the 2 speed one on my 650, same issue.

Turning up the speed on the new one does seem to have a made a big difference. Haven't had a flipped one in about 300 loads. 

15 minutes ago, jejb said:

It's not just the variable speed feeder. I have the 2 speed one on my 650, same issue.

Turning up the speed on the new one does seem to have a made a big difference. Haven't had a flipped one in about 300 loads. 

Dang - loaded 200 last night and had three of them flipped, with the motor at full speed.

I must be a lucky owner because my case feeder on my 750 operates flawlessly.  
  Over 15 k rounds loaded never an upside down case loading 9mm.

I operate the motor slowly to fill the tube just keeping up with a slow manual pace of reloading.  Usually fill the hopper with 250/300 pieces of brass.

I run my s1050 on low speed. start with 300 to 5oo cases and maintain.( keep it close to 300)

Most of the time never get a upside down case. Unless a .380 or some other case gets involved.

(when loading 9MM) As Nc1911 stated I load at a speed  that the feeder rarely stops. Get out your manual

their are a few adjustments in the instructions you could make. A video of the case feeder running may

help diagnose your issue.

13 hours ago, LMS said:

Well, 200 seems like a really low number to me, especially given the size of the hopper.

It is disappointingly low. The size of the hopper is a lot bigger than it has to be given the motor limitations.

There are aftermarket motors available with more torque.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm still getting the rare upside down case, but I'm getting ready to automate the press so I imagine this will annoy me.  Figured I'd give this a bump in case anyone has any new things to try...

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

DAA case feed plate increases the feed rate and fixes the problem with upside down cases.  It's the best money I've spent on gun/reloading stuff in quite a while.

+1 on that. get the plate and crank the speed all the way up. Set the screws as shown, I might get one in every 1,000 cases through the hopper.

280993573_418849919819930_3894377996935687177_n.jpg

7 hours ago, Cuz said:

I'm still getting the rare upside down case, but I'm getting ready to automate the press so I imagine this will annoy me.  Figured I'd give this a bump in case anyone has any new things to try...

Yes, I imagine you will be annoyed. I certainly am.

And so will your machine as it comes to a screeching halt as it locks up as the case gets pushed almost all the way station 2...

but not quite all the way as it gets pinched between the shell plate and the locator pin before the shell plate completely indexes.

lol... ah the joys of running automated... 🙂

I'm running the DAA plate and although it is a distinct improvement over the Dillon I still get the occasional inverted case. 

Not as often for sure but not eliminated either.

10 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

+1 on that. get the plate and crank the speed all the way up. Set the screws as shown, I might get one in every 1,000 cases through the hopper.

280993573_418849919819930_3894377996935687177_n.jpg

Plate ordered, we’ll see what it does…

Turning up the speed on my feeder has all but eliminated this problem for me (the OP here). I loaded 1500 9mm's recently and not one inverted case. I'm not running it full speed, but about 80% or so.