Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheel roller delayed buffer

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! I'm new to the forums (first post) and I'm also new to PCCs. I want to start competing more in the IDPA PCC division and I was wondering if any Scheel RDBS owners here has ever tried it with a PSA AR-9? My goal with this build was to keep it at $2k or below (I'm only at around $1,600-1,700 at the moment) so I can test the PCC waters and see if I enjoy it.

As far as the Scheel RDBS system is concerned, do you need a lighter bolt or will the stock PSA Gen 4 9mm bolt work fine the way it is? I don't know if that pinned cylinder is a removeable weight or not. If it is, should I remove that? My PCC doesn't have a LRBHO nor is it short-stroked. What's the ideal starting configuration of the RDBS for a pretty stock PSA?

I shoot factory ammo (115gr.) for practice, but I plan to start shooting my 135gr. (N320) loads once I get them chrono'd and tested. Besides a Hiperfire Xtreme 2 Stage Mod-3 trigger, Taccom 5.25" ULW barrel, Taccom carbon fiber handguard/shroud, ambi charging handle, and safety selector, my PCC is stock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, Seanzky said:

Hello! I'm new to the forums (first post) and I'm also new to PCCs. I want to start competing more in the IDPA PCC division and I was wondering if any Scheel RDBS owners here has ever tried it with a PSA AR-9? My goal with this build was to keep it at $2k or below (I'm only at around $1,600-1,700 at the moment) so I can test the PCC waters and see if I enjoy it.

As far as the Scheel RDBS system is concerned, do you need a lighter bolt or will the stock PSA Gen 4 9mm bolt work fine the way it is? I don't know if that pinned cylinder is a removeable weight or not. If it is, should I remove that? My PCC doesn't have a LRBHO nor is it short-stroked. What's the ideal starting configuration of the RDBS for a pretty stock PSA?

I shoot factory ammo (115gr.) for practice, but I plan to start shooting my 135gr. (N320) loads once I get them chrono'd and tested. Besides a Hiperfire Xtreme 2 Stage Mod-3 trigger, Taccom 5.25" ULW barrel, Taccom carbon fiber handguard/shroud, ambi charging handle, and safety selector, my PCC is stock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Buy Taccoms new magnetic buffer!

56 minutes ago, DukeSoprano said:

After having a bearing come apart and leave those tiny little ball bearings inside my PCC, I sold the Scheel. I have the Taccom set up the way I like it and it works great.

Did you contact Corey and asked him about this? If it was a fluke or from a bad batch of RDBS, I would still get his Gen 2. If this is something that still occurs, then I will steer clear.

Man I hope these Gen2 are good and dont fall apart. I am looking forward to making some tweaks and inch out a bit more performance. Since 2017 starting pcc I havent messed with anything and left my rifle the wya it came from JP cause it has been so reliable. Now you all got me buying hiper trigger and this roller buffer so I hope I dont create issues. 

I just changed my SCS from JP and spring to better match 130pf ammo. With heavy buffer weights and the lightest spring I was able to run faster than before at this past Saturdays match. Now I hope with the Scheel and apparently the hidden benefit of the hiper trigger holding the bolt forward I will see more benefits. 

15 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Don't waste your time or money chasing the last 100th of a mouse fart.

Buy the Scheel, run a 135 power factor, put in a light spring and a heavy spring, spend your time and money practicing

I don't know yet the power factor of my loads when shot through my PCC. I haven't had time to chrono them. I will do that after our match on New Year's Eve. I look forward to getting the Scheel RDBS Gen 2 and then fine tuning my loads for my PCC. I just wanted to know if there were already PSA AR-9 owners here who also has the RDBS so I can at least have an idea where to start.

10 minutes ago, Seanzky said:

Oh, thanks! Where do you put the light spring and where do you put the heavy spring? What else have you done to your PSA?

You're excited and that's good, but you're WAY over thinking it.

The Scheel system is a drop in buffer tube. It comes with full institutions and even a cheat sheet of which springs to run for what ammo, and even where to run them.

Get your gun, install the Scheel, shoot the crap out of it.

You'll have fun.

Edited by ysrracer

I agree with @ysrracer, dont over think it. The instructions are pretty clear given your choice of bullet and power factor. I am shooting 124gr polymer coated bullets using VV N320. My power factor is about 136 and I use 2 heavy and 1 light springs. The gun shoots flawlessly and I have not encountered any issues. Good luck with your setup. 

Thanks for the feedback, guys. What about testimonies from others about removing the weight on the bolt? Is that something that's covered in the instructions/manual? Is that something y'all did, too? Or did you just leave the bolt stock/unmodified? I sent an email asking Corey some questions, but I haven't heard back yet. So, I thought I'd ask here.

1 minute ago, Seanzky said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. What about testimonies from others about removing the weight on the bolt? Is that something that's covered in the instructions/manual? Is that something y'all did, too? Or did you just leave the bolt stock/unmodified? I sent an email asking Corey some questions, but I haven't heard back yet. So, I thought I'd ask here.

My Davinci is without the bolt weight.

The Scheel buffer itself is fairly hefty. The whole point of it is less mass and less spring and relying on the rollers to keep it locked until the chamber pressure has reduced to reduce the dot rise/dip. 

Just now, Dirty_J said:

My Davinci is without the bolt weight.

The Scheel buffer itself is fairly hefty. The whole point of it is less mass and less spring and relying on the rollers to keep it locked until the chamber pressure has reduced to reduce the dot rise/dip. 

I understand that, but when I spoke to Tim (from Taccom) he told me that Gen 2 was going to be a lighter buffer. In fact, it was him who told me to look into the Gen 2 a while ago. I'm wondering if removing the weight from the bolt will be necessary for Gen 2. So, I wanted to ask what PSA owners with Gen 1 did. I'm pretty much set on buying the Gen 2. I'm just excited and I want my PCC to be ready for when the RDBS comes.

18 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

You'll really have to shoot it with and without the weight in the bolt carrier, and decide what YOU like.

Everybody perceives recoil differently.

This is 100%

The Gen2 Scheel is lighter. But not the ballpark of what the bolt insert weighs. 

With a conventional recoil system on a direct blowback… mass is your friend. For a delayed action system (Scheel or Taccom DBRS), you just don’t need it. 

But dot movement is one of those personal feel things for sure. Me personally… I don’t care about how much a dot moves… I care about how quickly it settled back to my POA. 

Edited by Dirty_J
  • 2 weeks later...

My gen 2 arrives Tuesday but I have a bigger match Saturday and am not going to risk running something new until after that match. I sure hope this thing is magical and reliable with our heavy use in USPSA.

After making some changes to my JP SCS with lightest spring and lower PF ammo I was able inch out a bit more speed and tighten up shots. I imagine this Scheel device being nearly no weight and such a light spring its going to be awesome if it works. 

4 hours ago, ysrracer said:

What's the difference between the original and the new one?

If you look at the pictures on the Scheel web page, some of the physical differences are pretty obvious.

From the web site:

Gen2 RDBS improves on our performance and durability over our popular Gen1 RDBS unit.
Gen2 has:
1. Wider, Stronger Rollers- wider 4140 steel rollers with 2x bearings per roller.
2. More adjustability- Wider array of lockup pressures to tune to your specific setup.
3. Removable Weight- Removable buffer weight to adjust reciprocating mass for tuning.
4. Better Springs- greater spring life and less deformation.
5. Chamfers and Clearances- Modifications made to eliminate pinch points and spring binding areas so the springs aren’t stressed to their limits. 100% reliability over thousands of rds.

Mine should arrive Wednesday. 

Edited by AKJD