Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Single Stack Class

Midas

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what 1911 do i get?

One that works! i dont care for kimber for the same above posted reasons.

buy one of them GI springers and have a smith put your choice of sights, trigger and Magazine well(if you want one) more importantly make sure it runs with your ammo..

i personally hate the 200 grain semiwadcutter 45 bullet everybody seems to fetish over..

I'd hate to see the new 1911 ss division turn into a gun show, where shooters prance around with their newest, expensive and niftiest custom guns. I don't think that's the purpose of the division. While I have nothing against gunsmiths, I don't think the division was created to give them more business. Most 1911s are competitive enough out of the box.

2 years ago,started shooting idpa with a old colt..didint like the sights,didnt like the grip safety,didnt like the 7rnd mags...found out that if i was going to stick with the GAME and start shooting 600 to 1000 rnds a month it wasn't going to cut it for me...had an expensive Les Baer carry gun,but felt like i didnt want to put so many rnds a month thru it...shot a kimber for 2 months,then decided i was going to stick with the games,because i also started uspsa...bought another kimber,the eclipse,and then bought a Baer PII,,sold the colt,1st kimber,put up the 1 Baer,and put up the other kimber,and 40k rnds laterwith the PII,never been happier :) ....still have 2 kimbers,3 Baers and SEVERAL colts...but for the out and out price i think if you can afford a custom gun,and be happy with it,then you'll be happier :P .....stack them up against each other and compare the fit ,[to you] and the features......

I own a bunch of 1911s, including several that are beautiful hand-built custom guns. But this past year, I have been competing in various single-stack competitions with a nearly-stock Springfield Loaded with fixed sights (and a green factory paint job) I got in a trade deal at a local gun shop.

The minor custom work I've done myself: a fiber-optic front sight, a crisp 2-lb. trigger job (including Koenig hammer and EGW sear), an S&A magwell, and a piece of grip tape on the front strap. That's about it.

Consistent with my "el cheapo" approach, I shot it with Wolf ammo and Uncle Mike's belt holster and mag pouches.

This set-up was good for 2nd place overall at the 2005 Minnesota Single Stack match, and 4th place overall at the 2005 Iowa Single Stack match. If people want to turn this new provisional division into an excuse to drop thousands of dollars on custom stuff, OK fine, but that will not be the determining factor in who wins these matches. A 1911 doesn't need to be terribly expensive to be reliable, reasonably accurate, and easy to shoot and reload.

Looking forward to 2006!

Mike

Like many others above, I don't agree that you need to send a $1000 (or even $600) 1911 to a smith to make it relaible. Most of the better known production oriented pistol companies produce reliable pistols right out of the box. I have over 7500 rounds through my Springer Black Stainless with only one hiccup and that was an out-of-spec round. I use it for USPSA all the time and have never had a hangup during a stage.

The only three modifications I've made to the gun were new grips (personal preference), a 4# trigger job and replacing the two-piece FLGR with a STI one-piece unit. Other than that, it is bone stock and more than accurate enough for competition. :)

I was going to shoot my Kimber Custom - box stock except for the S&A magwell, and grips.... oh, and the Dawson front sight... and the Bomar.... and trigger... and ambi safety...... and mild trigger job on stock parts. Well, maybe not so stock :P

But I just picked up a Springfield 1911 A1 "G.I." .45 model in Stainless..... couldn't pass up the deal. Nicely made, tight, accurate gun (for what it is) with a HORRIBLE trigger, and all for about $100 more than a parkerized Rock Island Armory.

Also happens I have a box of 1911 parts looking for a home (some prize table parts, some takeoff)... after digging through the box, I have everything I need to have a custom job done on the Springfield - Bomars, magwell, grips, ambi's and beavertail, guide rod, complete nice trigger job on mostly new components, etc. The only thing I'm, wrestling with is whether to checker the front strap (cost $100) or use skateboard tape ($1, which I have on the Kimber). I'm going to all the work myself except the milling for the sights, and possibly the checkering.

Brings back memories - the good ole days! ;)

Check out the Springfield Trophy Match..........if the gun is going to be a shooter (not a carry gun), I really like the TM's that I have....Adjustable rear sight, checkered front strap, mag well, decent trigger. A friend got one about a year ago, and all he did was put a Dawson FO front sight on it, and he has not had any problems. The one I shoot I got about 4 years ago, and it has about 30,000 rounds thru it. I did have a BarSto barrel put in it last spring, right before the Single Stack Classic, and it has run perfect.

Steve H

Hands down Les Baer will give you the best reliability, accuracy, dependability, and customer service for your buck. Buy a Premier II for 1.5k and you will not be sorry. Buy one with the 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards guarantee for 2k and you'll be even happier. I own two. I'm a very happy single stack guy.

The only problem I have suggesting a used 1911 is that it could be someone else's dog.

Let's face it a good 1911 is usually kept around.

But one that might be too good to be true is usually someones kitchen table gunsmith job or a POS to begin with.

I have dumped several 1911's that were POS. My first was a Springfield stainless loaded model that would shoot everything from the grip screws to the rear sight to the two piece guide rod loose, it got traded.

I have super glue'd a front sight back on a Colt Gold Cup that shot off, it got traded

I had a Para 14-45 Limited that wouldn't feed factory ball ammo and another that you couldn't adjust the sights enough to get it to hit within 6 inches of POA, they got traded

The Sig GSR that I had went back to them for feeding problems, I went through an extractor and after I got it back it still didn't run, traded

The only used 1911 I would be comfortable with would be a Springfield because of the lifetime warranty.

The only problem I have suggesting a used 1911 is that it could be someone else's dog.

But one that might be too good to be true is usually someones kitchen table gunsmith job or a POS to begin with.

I have dumped several 1911's that were POS. My first was a Springfield stainless loaded model that would shoot everything from the grip screws to the rear sight to the two piece guide rod loose, it got traded.

I have super glue'd a front sight back on a Colt Gold Cup that shot off, it got traded

I had a Para 14-45 Limited that wouldn't feed factory ball ammo and another that you couldn't adjust the sights enough to get it to hit within 6 inches of POA, they got traded

The Sig GSR that I had went back to them for feeding problems, I went through an extractor and after I got it back it still didn't run, traded

The only used 1911 I would be comfortable with would be a Springfield because of the lifetime warranty.

I should have clarified that he should ask around his club and perhaps look for one that was set-up for IPSC or IDPA by a reputable 'smith, and the shooter was funding a new project, or getting out of shooting. He might be able to get all the gear in the deal, too.

If it were me and I had next to no trigger time on the platform I would buy a Springfield Milspec and shoot the heck out of it. Nothing worse than spending money on features that you don't need or don't work well for you.

Once you have a feel for the gun start to figure out what you like and don't like about the gun. Change the things you don't like and leave the things you do. In the end you end up with a gun that is just right for you. Nothing more and certianly nothing less.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

I guess I won't be buying any used equipment from you Jake.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

I have bought, sold and traded at least 20 SStacks in the last 10 years and I can truthfully say not a single one was a dog. Some were better than others but all were good. A race gun or something in a know "none feeder" caliber may be different... .45s - in my experence - are mostly runners from day one. Good mags and a good extracter and you are good to go. B)

I'd say you should look closely at a used Wilson CQB. These guns run and run and run. A used Wilson should be about 1,200.00 which is 200.00 over your ideal cost, BUT you WON'T have to worry about sending it off to a gunsmith to get it to run, so you'll be ahead of the game.

• 6 months later...

I love my Kimber!I have 4-5 k rounds through it and can count all the malfunctions on one hand(probably ammo related)Its the team match and for $1300.00 you cant beat it.It consistantly shoots tight groups and it likes the 155gr wadcutters for steel challenge and or 200 grainers for IDPA.The only money I have put into this pistol is for ammo and oil!

I just came home from a local monthly shoot. 3 people on my squad were shooting Kimbers, all 3 had nothing but problems all day. Feeding, ejection etc. They were shooting factory ammo so it was not a problem with ammo. I have heard alot about the newer Kimbers having problems. I have a series one Kimber that runs great. Based on what I saw today I would buy anything but a Kimber.

You should take a serious look at the new S&W .45's, i have one with adjustable sights from factory, just needs new thinner front sight, and some trigger work, and it would be a great piece! The gun is extremely accurate. I think new retail is around 1k, but street prices are 7-800.00 range!

I absolutely love my Kimber CDP II. The only malfunction I've ever had was some light primer hits (replaced the springs and worked fine)

The only work I've had done to it was to add an Ed Brown arched mainspring mag well and a speed bump grip safety. Although, I may change the tritium front sight to a FO sight.

Total cost was $1300 with all the add ons, Kimber did the work and had it back to me in 1 week.

I had a bad experience with a Springfield 1911, so I won't buy a 1911 from them again.

Most of the Kimber malfunctions I've seen come from the external extractor

Edited by tnpyeron3