Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird comp, any info about it? - Help!

Aasp76

Hello, may be some expert can help me to identify this comp.

I got this comp in a box of spare parts, it's heavy, made of stainless steel but I've never seen something like this, any info about it will be appreciated (brand, efficiency, etc).

In this image you can see the compensator, the lower part in a red box is a gas chamber that redirect it to two angled ports in front of the comp, blue arrow.

51189071245_04761e6b71_z.jpg

Like you can see, pointed with the red arrow, is the mouth of the lower chamber:

51188019401_133b38f7c5_z.jpg

Here you can see, the two angled ports in front of the comp:

51188237793_178c27beac.jpg

51188237788_ed42d15b8a_w.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Ralph Arredondo also made a very similar comp years ago. Going strictly from memory, the one you have looks more like what I remember the Arredondo comp looking like. I will poke around and see if I can come up with a photo of Ralph's comp.

The comp probably is an early Lim turbo comp. Best bet, send your photo to Limcat and see if Johnny can identify it as one of his designs. Johnny experimented with lots of different configurations of that turbo comp over the years. I actually found a long ago photo of the Arredondo in a dead ad and it isn't like your's - similar, but no cigar.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:58 AM, UpYoursPal said:

Interesting design.  Would that even work?  I’m not a physics guy, but I would think that very little gas would go through those two tiny chambers

It was originally designed for 9x25 (10mm case necked down to 9mm) loaded with a godawful amount of powder.  It looked like a Top Fuel dragster shooting flames out the headers every time Johnny pulled the trigger.  It worked well on 38 Super loaded with slower powders, nowhere near the flames as the 9x25.  

I remember at a match in Brentwood, Johnny was shooting the 9x25 with that design comp and about halfway through a stage, got the gun too far into a port made from an empty 55 gallon barrel mounted horizontally to a wooden frame and pulled the trigger twice...........long pause.......Johnny slowly backed up, unloaded, showed clear, holstered and slowly went and sat down for awhile before he said "OW!"  He said he was seeing double and it felt like he was underwater.

I think Johnny went back to 38 Super not long after that.

Nolan

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 12:23 PM, Chillywig said:

Here is the Limcat with a turbo comp I had. The lazier looking flame coming out of the front is from the turbo ports. This is 9X19 major

Screenshot_20180922-200950_Video Player.jpg

Was this the SaberCat??

Cheely Ti comp, running 3n38 in .38 tru a Schuemann Hybricomp w/3 poppel holes. You can notice the flame (if your looking for it) but it’s never been a distraction at a match.  Looks cool for sure.

08088FFB-8ED3-4D6E-960C-8B327060F821.png

Edited by a matt
Barrel type

So back to the turbo comp. I was not exactly trying to show awesome muzzle blast - but lazy blast/flame from the turbo ports. I think it is a cool feature but not sure it is really very effective in reducing muzzle rise. In the blast pic above the lazy flame coming out of the front side port is the turbo port. That flame looks like a cigarette lighter flame compared to the blast coming out of the pop holes and top of the comp. Here is close up pic of that comp. The turbo ports are the front round holes. The turbo port blast gasses has to make 3 turns inside the comp before exiting. Nothing against the design but if your choice is barrel porting pop holes or turbo comp the pop holes are going to give you the most gas possible to keep the gun flat. Now cool factor is another thing. If I was buying a new gun from this builder I would still want the turbo ports - because if it says turbo on the side of your gun you will shoot faster!!!

Screenshot_20210614-224125_Gallery_resized.jpg