Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 1911s

alien_pickles

9 hours ago, twodownzero said:

I have been an RO for 11 years now and I've yet to see a Les Baer make it though a match without a jam. I might even be able to say that I have never seen a Les Baer make it through even a single stage without a jam, but that might be a stretch.  I can say that most of the times when I've seen someone shooting a problematic 1911 that was that expensive, it's always a Les Baer and never anything else.  I would look elsewhere, personally.

Gotta call BS on this, based on actual experience. I've used a LB Concept V and a LB Premier II for several years in USPSA matches without issue.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JGus said:

Gotta call BS on this, based on actual experience. I've used a LB Concept V and a LB Premier II for several years in USPSA matches without issue.

I had 3 different Baers when I was a rookie ranger, the first one was a jamomatic trotline weight.  The other two were fine pistols.

9 hours ago, JGus said:

I can only tell you my sample is much larger than yours.  I recall running over 300 shooters at a single match.  I'm glad you like your pistol, but I've seen better reliability from Taurus 1911s than Les Baer, and that's really saying something.

6 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I had 3 different Baers when I was a rookie ranger, the first one was a jamomatic trotline weight.  The other two were fine pistols.

They're so nice looking, so it's really such a shame the ones I've seen don't run.  Nobody can deny that strong lockup and nice finish look good!  But if it doesn't run, there are no alibis in our sport.

I feel like this whole LB argument is the problem with buying out of the box. Sometimes it's awesome. Sometimes it's not. If you buy from a real guy and not a company and something happens, you can take it back to him and get your problem resolved. Unless he's a shithead. Which is why you ask for recommendations first

9 minutes ago, alien_pickles said:

I feel like this whole LB argument is the problem with buying out of the box.

Okay.  Then talk to Bedel.  http://www.bedellcustomguns.com/  I was certainly impressed after talking to him.  He is a wealth of knowledge and will tell you if something you are asking him to do is not a good idea, and why.  He isn't cheap, or fast, but his guns run.  Ask Max Michael.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I'd like to know why on earth would someone who shoots 10+ majors a year be running Trojans?

I think a lot of it comes down to ignorance as well, when talking about properly functioning 1911's. 

If you are not fully aware of what it takes to make a 1911 run properly, you probably shouldn't go for a 1911 as a competition pistol. 

I have seen quite a few examples of guys running whatever brand of 1911 and complaining about reliability and when you then ask them if they actually checked the standard things to get a 1911 running, they have no clue...... (being: quality magazines, extractor tension, tuning of the ejector, cartridge overall length, spring weights )

Heck, I definitely used to be one of those guys, until I decided to 'educate' myself via this forum, and by asking guys who actually know what they're talking about... Plus, check the Atlas videos and look up the contributions from Cha-Lee and you're set. 

Last year I bought a Trojan from a guy who had it as a backup.... Wouldn't run reliably and he could only load 9 rounds instead of 10. 

Okay... showed up at his range to pick up the gun and join in on a training....  Tossed his crap magazines aside and used my Dawsons... the gun ran flawless. 

Edited by WFargo

That's true.  But a significant part of that is on the builder.  Can't tell you how many guns I've seen from BIG name builders that aren't set up correctly, or for whatever reason, just don't run.  Why in the world would they send something out the door without making sure it works?  1911/2011s aren't very complicated, and building one that functions properly is pretty simple assuming decent parts, the right tools, and a little knowledge/skill/experience.

30 minutes ago, zzt said:

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I'd like to know why on earth would someone who shoots 10+ majors a year be running Trojans?

A. That's part of the reason I'm looking to upgrade.

B. I shoot limited more than I shoot SS. My limited gun is significantly nicer than a Trojan.

2 hours ago, twodownzero said:

I can only tell you my sample is much larger than yours.  I recall running over 300 shooters at a single match.  I'm glad you like your pistol, but I've seen better reliability from Taurus 1911s than Les Baer, and that's really saying something.

They're so nice looking, so it's really such a shame the ones I've seen don't run.  Nobody can deny that strong lockup and nice finish look good!  But if it doesn't run, there are no alibis in our sport.

I've done a lot of RO'ing over the years, too, including level 2 and 3 matches. And I own a lot of 1911's. Been fascinated with the 1911 for a long time.  From semi custom to full custom. And unlike you, I actually own and shoot LB's (I have five of them). And like any production or semi custom 1911 manufacturer, they can sometime put out a less than optimal running gun. But saying a Taurus gives better reliability than a LB is just an ignorant comment.

48 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

That's true.  But a significant part of that is on the builder.  Can't tell you how many guns I've seen from BIG name builders that aren't set up correctly, or for whatever reason, just don't run.  Why in the world would they send something out the door without making sure it works?  1911/2011s aren't very complicated, and building one that functions properly is pretty simple assuming decent parts, the right tools, and a little knowledge/skill/experience.

after assembling few like this  and resolving all their problems 1911/2011 will be  something like cup of coffee .😀

CONTROP: New Generation EO/IR Miniature Payload | Israel Defense

47 minutes ago, alien_pickles said:

A. That's part of the reason I'm looking to upgrade.

B. I shoot limited more than I shoot SS. My limited gun is significantly nicer than a Trojan.

Michelle, you should talk to Mark at Carne Custom.  Practically in your backyard and he builds a great 1911.  I bought one of his first 1911's (a 9mm he built from a Spfld frame an slide) and it runs flawlessly and smooth as glass bearings.  As you know, the 9mm can sometimes be finicky, but Mark builds a problem free gun.  I've had friends run it in several matches and it's been flawless. Clark ran it last year at the PASA SS match (you were on our squad).  So if you are looking at a .45 no question Mark could easily make that non-problematic and also be a great looking 1911.  He'd be the guy I'd go to for a custom build today.

2 minutes ago, JGus said:

Michelle, you should talk to Mark at Carne Custom.  Practically in your backyard and he builds a great 1911.  I bought one of his first 1911's (a 9mm he built from a Spfld frame an slide) and it runs flawlessly and smooth as glass bearings.  As you know, the 9mm can sometimes be finicky, but Mark builds a problem free gun.  I've had friends run it in several matches and it's been flawless. Clark ran it last year at the PASA SS match (you were on our squad).  So if you are looking at a .45 no question Mark could easily make that non-problematic and also be a great looking 1911.  He'd be the guy I'd go to for a custom build today.

Thanks Joel. I've actually already been in contact and am waiting to hear back on a quote. I'm just super indecisive and was wondering what else was out there. He did some work for me after one of my catastrophes and it's been awesome since.

1 minute ago, alien_pickles said:

Man, I wish I had bought Dawson mags instead of Tripps...

I was on your squad when a few of those "incidents" happened! Of course Kyle will say an Infinity is the only way to go.  And I wouldn't disagree (you've shot Infinity, too, and probably wouldn't disagree) but isn't the wait time pretty extreme right now?  Plus, I like the idea of using a gunsmith that also shoots some of our local matches and is easy to see in person (Mark). The custom smith I used and swear by (I have six of his builds) has now retired from full builds (Kyle has one of his 1911's, too), or I'd recommend him, too.  Pretty sure you know who I'm referring to.  Of course, you could always get Kyle to build you one! ;)  

5 minutes ago, JGus said:

I was on your squad when a few of those "incidents" happened! Of course Kyle will say an Infinity is the only way to go.  And I wouldn't disagree (you've shot Infinity, too, and probably wouldn't disagree) but isn't the wait time pretty extreme right now?  Plus, I like the idea of using a gunsmith that also shoots some of our local matches and is easy to see in person (Mark). The custom smith I used and swear by (I have six of his builds) has now retired from full builds (Kyle has one of his 1911's, too), or I'd recommend him, too.  Pretty sure you know who I'm referring to.  Of course, you could always get Kyle to build you one! ;)  

Ugh, I have a curse.

I love that gun of Kyle's... If you ever want to sell one of those six, you just let me know... 

I'd love an infinity, but it's just not the style I think I'm looking for on a 1911. Hopefully a 2011 someday.

I'm very excited to hear back from Mark. I think it's going to be a really good route and that he can create something that I'll want to hold onto forever instead of recycle every couple of years.

To be fair to several of the other posters, I would buy a Dan Wesson for the right price and still may someday to replace the Trojan as a backup. I just don't want to pay full MSRP for a new one and the right lightly used one hasn't popped up for sale yet.

18 minutes ago, alien_pickles said:

Ugh, I have a curse.

I love that gun of Kyle's... If you ever want to sell one of those six, you just let me know... 

I'd love an infinity, but it's just not the style I think I'm looking for on a 1911. Hopefully a 2011 someday.

I'm very excited to hear back from Mark. I think it's going to be a really good route and that he can create something that I'll want to hold onto forever instead of recycle every couple of years.

To be fair to several of the other posters, I would buy a Dan Wesson for the right price and still may someday to replace the Trojan as a backup. I just don't want to pay full MSRP for a new one and the right lightly used one hasn't popped up for sale yet.

I do really like DW.  I have a couple PM9's and a .45 Silverback.  In my humble and non-expert opinion DW makes the best production 1911 on the market.  But owning a full custom just gives you a feeling you just won't get from a production or even semi-custom. Granted, one of those feelings is feeling more poor. ;)

29 minutes ago, alien_pickles said:

I'd love an infinity, but it's just not the style I think I'm looking for on a 1911. 

I am pretty sure you can pick what ever style you like

9 minutes ago, RJH said:

I am pretty sure you can pick what ever style you like

Sure, you can. However, I'd argue that any worthwhile gunsmith has their own style. Infinity even maybe a little more so since they only use their own parts. Now, I could order something really simple and it'd be pretty style-free. But I'm still paying the Infinity price, and honestly, if I'm buying an Infinity, I want it to look like an Infinity. I'm also sure that even though they only use their own parts that they could design and machine anything that I possibly wanted as long as they thought it'd be reliable, but, unfortunately, that's way beyond the capacity of my budget.

Infinity builds race guns. That's what they're good at. I would love a 2011 race gun that looks like a 2011 race gun. For my 1911, even though I plan to use it in USPSA right now, I want something that looks more classic.

1 hour ago, alien_pickles said:

lol, smh... that would be a great question for STI. It's a 40

saw this on forum: 😉

Been looking for a 2011 for range use.  Found a lightly used 2011 sti dvc limited in 40cal.  Anyone have this gun?

in ours club saw something like this and owner described it as lightly used.😉

Edited by yigal

3 minutes ago, yigal said:

saw this on forum: 😉

Been looking for a 2011 for range use.  Found a lightly used 2011 sti dvc limited in 40cal.  Anyone have this gun?

Lightly used for a DVC limited means it’s on its third barrel in 2000 rounds 

10 minutes ago, TheSandMan491 said:

Lightly used for a DVC limited means it’s on its third barrel in 2000 rounds 

don't know how much sti barrel hold but friends with sti dvc l 9mm after 55k still accurate and condition perfect