Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 1911s

alien_pickles

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It kind of depends on what you want it for.  Do you want a USPSA gun? Maybe a carry gun? If you just want a great all around 1911, Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, cylinder and slide, Clark, all great makers. For a competition gun infinity or maybe atlas...

Keep in mind that companies like Bear, Brown, Wilson, etc. are really production operations with limited options or "packages."  And very importantly, you won't know who's actually going to build the gun or how it's going to turn out.  I've seen bad stuff from most of them at one time or another, with some being really bad, particularly considering what they sell for.  If you want a true custom, find someone who's actually going to build the gun for you the way you want it built.

Edited by ltdmstr

5 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

If you want a true custom, find someone who's actually going to build the gun for you the way you want it built.

This is what I'm looking for. Recommendations for smiths with their own shops. Places like Carne or Rafferty

16 hours ago, EEH said:

I would just look at Les Baer , Or Wilson. Both can be had in 9,45,38 super..Done

Never owned Wilson but the Les Baer are great guns.

I have been an RO for 11 years now and I've yet to see a Les Baer make it though a match without a jam. I might even be able to say that I have never seen a Les Baer make it through even a single stage without a jam, but that might be a stretch.  I can say that most of the times when I've seen someone shooting a problematic 1911 that was that expensive, it's always a Les Baer and never anything else.  I would look elsewhere, personally.

Edited by twodownzero

alien, you first have to decide what you want to use the gun for. For instance, what makes a great bullseye gun makes for a very poor competition gun.  And generally, vice versa.  If you are looking for a 45 it is easy to build a gun that will do well at both and still be 50 yard X-Ring accurate.  That is harder to do in 9mm.

If you decide to go back to the likes of Wilson, Brown or Baer, I'd strongly recommend you talk to the Dan Wesson folks.  They also do custom work.  Anything you buy from them is going to be first rate.

1 hour ago, twodownzero said:

I have been an RO for 11 years now and I've yet to see a Les Baer make it though a match without a jam. I might even be able to say that I have never seen a Les Baer make it through even a single stage without a jam, but that might be a stretch.  I can say that most of the times when I've seen someone shooting a problematic 1911 that was that expensive, it's always a Les Baer and never anything else.  I would look elsewhere, personally.

I've heard the newer les baers are problematic. Quality seems to have gone downhill

Hello, if you are going to use it for USPSA I would consider an off the shelf pistol like a Springfield, old STI, Dan Wesson or even Smith and Wesson. Save the extra cash to make the pistol your own and buy reloading supplies. In most causes the stock factory guns will work great for USPSA matches. Maybe a rebarrel, sights and change out the safeties. Don't forget the magwell, 6 magazine pouches, holster, belt and 10 or more magazines. In some cases you can buy two 1911's for the price of one custom 1911. Just something to think about. Thanks, Eric

11 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, if you are going to use it for USPSA I would consider an off the shelf pistol like a Springfield, old STI, Dan Wesson or even Smith and Wesson. Save the extra cash to make the pistol your own and buy reloading supplies. In most causes the stock factory guns will work great for USPSA matches. Maybe a rebarrel, sights and change out the safeties. Don't forget the magwell, 6 magazine pouches, holster, belt and 10 or more magazines. In some cases you can buy two 1911's for the price of one custom 1911. Just something to think about. Thanks, Eric

I do hear smith and wessons are shooters.

I'm good enough on reloading supplies and won't be buying more until prices come back to normal anyway just on principle.

I currently shoot USPSA with an STI Trojan, so I have all the equipment. I'm looking to make that gun my backup and upgrade the primary

Just now, TheSandMan491 said:

Technically I already do, as much as I fix all your super great Factory guns like the STIs

I was going to respond to someone that my local gunsmith uses my slide for a hammer, but I didn't want to call you out in public like that

2 hours ago, alien_pickles said:

It'll be a 45ACP exclusively for USPSA

Then take a look at this one and go from there.  https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/pointman-45-pm-45-2/  This will run out of the box and you can talk to them about a full custom gun.

Added later:  I'll also add that having built 1911s and 2011s I can tell you that once your start with a good forged frame, slide, barrel and billet internals, there is not a lot of difference between a $1600 1911 and a $4500 1911 except aesthetics,  Same with a $4000 2011 vs. a $7500 one.

By good I mean dimensionally correct with all the holes in the right place, and so precise that if you bought another a month later it would be the same.  Trigger group parts from EGW, Extreme Engineering and Brazos literally drop in if everything else is correct.  You have to do minor tweaking at worst.  That is not to say that people like Chambers do not make magnificent 1911s where everything is absolutely perfect.  However, aside from pride of ownership, what does an $8000 1911 get you?

A good Springfield Armours 1911 45 is all you need for USPSA SS.  Yes, the trigger sucks, but it wears in after 500 rounds and gets better.  Since you are looking for something better, I recommended the Pointman.  If you want something a little better or you want different aesthetics, talk to their custom people.  Just be aware there are restrictions as to what you can do to a gun in USPSA SS.

Edited by zzt

I'm w/zzt on the Springfield.  I haven't shot .45 in a long time, but recently picked up a Springfield Range Officer.  I was pleasantly surprised with the slide to frame fit and barrel lockup for such a reasonably priced gun.  And the forged slide and frame are excellent quality.  You can do a trigger job and leave it at that, or use the slide and frame as a base for a full custom gun.  Either way, should be a nice result at a pretty fair price.

Guys, the OP is looking for a recommendation on a gunsmith that can build a quality, bespoke 1911. Please refrain from recommendations on factory guns like Wilson’s, LB, Springfield, etc. speaking through PMs, this person shoots over 10 majors a year, and is sick of breaking barrel lugs on low quality guns like STIs. 

Hello, sounds like his replacement parts have not been fitted very well? I have seen Springfields and even Kimbers with well over 50,000 rounds that are still running very well. The small parts where changed for better ones but the barrel/slide and frame were still original. Most custom makers out there are going to use a frame with all of the holes already in place. They will do all the custom stuff on the slide and fit the parts that they like to use. Just because they make custom 1911's doesn't mean that they will be up to the task of USPSA type shooting. I have seen some top name builders pistols that would not run for a whole match and they paid quite alot for them. Thanks, Eric