Doge

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Lowsc3 said:

The TXG weighs more no?

Yes, considerably more.

I actually could see using an AXG module with a compact slide or maybe full size slide for competition over the TXG module. My P320 compacts are and have always been more accurate than my large P320s. The lockup between the slide and the barrels is much better and they are quicker to transition than the larger P320s. I have been considering cutting one of my TXG modules down to accommodate a Carry/compact slide combination and doing some testing. Shooting with a red dot negates the one big pro for the sight radius advantage longer slide guns had over shorter guns, as a red dot makes aiming both guns essentially the same. Not sure I would go with the Sig AXG module for competition as I have zero idea of its durability. Some ideas have been marinating around the head for a bit on this topic. 

One issue running with a shorter slide with the P320 for competition is tuning the recoil assemblies. Maybe it’s a mute point if the rest of the setup worked?

Now, the question is do I cut down a perfectly good $250 grip module for said testing?  

20 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Yes, considerably more.

I actually could see using an AXG module with a compact slide or maybe full size slide for competition over the TXG module. My P320 compacts are and have always been more accurate than my large P320s. The lockup between the slide and the barrels is much better and they are quicker to transition than the larger P320s. I have been considering cutting one of my TXG modules down to accommodate a Carry/compact slide combination and doing some testing. Shooting with a red dot negates the one big pro for the sight radius advantage longer slide guns had over shorter guns, as a red dot makes aiming both guns essentially the same. Not sure I would go with the Sig AXG module for competition as I have zero idea of its durability. Some ideas have been marinating around the head for a bit on this topic. 

One issue running with a shorter slide with the P320 for competition is tuning the recoil assemblies. Maybe it’s a mute point if the rest of the setup worked?

Now, the question is do I cut down a perfectly good $250 grip module for said testing?  

I wouldn't, so you are saying the lockup is better compacts then on an x5?

19 minutes ago, Lowsc3 said:

I wouldn't, so you are saying the lockup is better compacts then on an x5?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

To answer your question, Yes.  Noticeably so.  At least with mine. I have two X5 Legions, and two original X5s.  Do you have compacts?  If you do squeeze the end of the slide near the very tip at the front of the gun, i.e. the end of the barrel compressing the slide against the rail of the grip module.  There is slop in all of the X5s.  Not a ton, but enough to notice.  Do that to Compact P320s.  There is noticeably less slope.  This makes sense if you look at the design of the P320s (like most polymer guns) not having full rails.  The rails (really tabs) that the slide reciprocates on are on the back half of the grip module.  There is nothing really supporting the slide at the end of the barrel other than the slide itself.  Also a known issue with a P320 is when you pull the trigger the slide moves on the P320s.  Again, ever so slightly but it does move.  Measure how much the slide moves between an X5 and a Compact P320.  If you have a dot on both it will be easier to see, but again a notable difference in movement of the dot, i.e. movement of the slide.  The compact slide moves less.   Make sure you perform this test with an empty mag in both guns.  

Recoil spring tension plays a roll in lock up as well.  I'm sure the recoil assemblies the compacts use versus the 1911(ish) springs the longer guns has a little to do with the lock up.

The fact that Sig has designed a recoil spring with a ton more coils that common 1911 springs that many competitors switch to for competition use is a bit telling in my opinion.  When I install say a wolf or similar spring designed for a 1911 into my X5s, the lock is looser than when I use the Sig spring with more coils, or the new Springer recoil springs designed for the P320 X5s.  The looser lock up and the fact the gun (barrel) beats the crap out of the take down lever when using lighter 1911 springs to the point it will break the take down lever is a reason I have gone away from using 1911 type springs.  Talking to others digging out a broken take down lever out of a $250 grip module sounded like boats of fun.  I have sense stopped using common 1911 springs in my P320s.   

These are all things I have noted in my short experience with P320s.  I own 7 in various configurations that I have accumulated over the years.  Maybe your experience is different.  

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

When I install say a wolf or similar spring designed for a 1911 into my X5s, the lock is looser than when I use the Sig spring with more coils, or the new Springer recoil springs designed for the P320 X5s.  The looser lock up and the fact the gun (barrel) beats the crap out of the take down lever when using lighter 1911 springs to the point it will break the take down lever is a reason I have gone away from using 1911 type springs.  Talking to others digging out a broken take down lever out of a $250 grip module sounded like boats of fun.  I have sense stopped using common 1911 springs in my P320s.   

I did some testing of several recoil springs to find which have the same lockup tension as the orange 12# sig spring. My spring tester shows in battery length and recoiled(can't think of correct name at the moment) length. 

I've found that the 1911 12# sprinco actually gave 1/2# more and the wolff was 1# less. 

I use a 12# Sprinco in 3 legions and 3 Max's(same as legion). 

17 minutes ago, echotango said:

I did some testing of several recoil springs to find which have the same lockup tension as the orange 12# sig spring. My spring tester shows in battery length and recoiled(can't think of correct name at the moment) length. 

I've found that the 1911 12# sprinco actually gave 1/2# more and the wolff was 1# less. 

I use a 12# Sprinco in 3 legions and 3 Max's(same as legion). 

Why not just use the sig spring?

15 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Why not just use the sig spring?

Because I found they wear fast.  Sprinco is a much better quality spring as is ISMI.  And the 12# sig spring is not 12#. 

Edited by echotango

7 hours ago, echotango said:

Because I found they wear fast.  Sprinco is a much better quality spring as is ISMI.  And the 12# sig spring is not 12#. 

Just as a data point, the 12# springs that came with my Legions wore out almost instantly(1k rounds) but I replaced them with the same sig part and they have lasted since(I have over 20k on one of them and still has lots of lock up pressure. I think Sig might have gotten a bad batch at one point.

• 8 months later...

Just got an AXG grip module and brass grip panels from LOK GRIPS. I have been shooting with the pseudo SIG Legion (X- Five Slide on Legion FCU and modified TXG, and SP Tungsten GR). It shoots well but I wanted to move the center of gravity towards the grip a bit while retaining the total weight. It is my personal preference. And being able to chose the grips was another reason for me.

The total weight is pretty much the same (in fact, the gun with the AXG lower came out 0.5oz heavier) but the CoG, as expected, has moved by circa 0.5”. It is pretty much right at the pivot of the trigger. I’m not sure if I could “feel the difference” while shooting but the grip module with the palm swell feels awesome!

One problem is I need an extended mag release. AC is still waiting for a stock to arrive (in DEC) and I prefer a paddle style extended release. Just like that one I have from SP. I contacted SP and their CS rep said that they are working on an extended mag release. Also looking into a paddle style but not sure about it. Because of the removable/ swappable grips, their concern might be a potential interference with thick grips. At this point, I would go with one from AC.

I would consider building a separate gun later, using this AXG module, possibly/ hopefully with a slide ass’y from GG!

14 hours ago, cheby said:

Well, if you buy all the parts separately: FCU, complete slide, R3MAX, grip module, GG trigger,  it would cost you the same 

This is exactly how I decided the p320 max was a good deal. Came with 4 mags, R3max, excellent factory trigger. Basicly you got 4 free mags and the best factory trigger I've felt on any p320.

As for the AGX grip module I've been mulling over the idea of getting one for a bit. I talked with the people at Armory Craft about the weight difference between their grip panels and back strap VS a tgx module with the SSI tungsten weight. It's about a 1oz difference give or take as I haven't actually weighed a AGX grip. I've also inquire with GG about getting the upper setup that Isaac Lockwood ran at nats this year. I know it's a 4.6" slide and believe it had the heavy barrel like a legion does. I think that setup would be pretty cool. 

22 hours ago, cheby said:

Well, if you buy all the parts separately: FCU, complete slide, R3MAX, grip module, GG trigger,  it would cost you the same 

But you get a fitted barrel with the GG setup, where you would have to pay or fit a barrel yourself if you wanted the same set up.

Edited by Boomstick303

12 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

This is exactly how I decided the p320 max was a good deal. Came with 4 mags, R3max, excellent factory trigger. Basicly you got 4 free mags and the best factory trigger I've felt on any p320.

As for the AGX grip module I've been mulling over the idea of getting one for a bit. I talked with the people at Armory Craft about the weight difference between their grip panels and back strap VS a tgx module with the SSI tungsten weight. It's about a 1oz difference give or take as I haven't actually weighed a AGX grip. I've also inquire with GG about getting the upper setup that Isaac Lockwood ran at nats this year. I know it's a 4.6" slide and believe it had the heavy barrel like a legion does. I think that setup would be pretty cool. 

I've met a couple of guys running the AXG grip with Lok brass panels and back strap over the TXG.  One said he's going back to the TXG grip because it feels softer and ther other guy said he loved it more than TXG.  Both agreed the Lok palm swells and traction is amazing.  As for the weight balance I'm unsure, I need to shoot one before forming an opinion but the hand feel no doubt is as good as a Tanfo and Shadow 2 with the same Lok brass grips.  I plinked with a friend's Stock 2 with the Lok brass panels with my ammo and the dot (annoyingly) jumps less than my Legion with tungsten GR and SSI plug.  Come on Sig, give us a AXG in steel and make another pile of profits.

2 hours ago, Stician said:

my Legion with tungsten GR and SSI plug. 

Try without the SSI plug.  Use the stock one.  I hated what it did to my gun.  I also tried it in my wife's without telling her.  Not only could you see the difference, she said her gun/dot was so different and all over the place but she could not explain why.  I told her on the way homer after the match.  I was in the dog house for a while. 

Edited by echotango

2 hours ago, echotango said:

Try without the SSI plug.  Use the stock one.  I hated what it did to my gun.  I also tried it in my wife's without telling her.  Not only could you see the difference, she said her gun/dot was so different and all over the place but she could not explain why.  I told her on the way homer after the match.  I was in the dog house for a while. 

Interesting.  I ran the accelerator drill with stock GR and plug, tungsten GR and stock plug, and tungsten GR and plug... I settled on the last one.  I'm going to give it another go with the tungsten GR and stock plug.

I shot a match with my new AXG combo rig this weekend and loved how it felt. How the gun was planted in my hands alone was worth the conversion for me. YMMV. I have small hands and am not a big fan of the shape of the TXG module although I have ground off quite a bit of material

Yeah, the Isaac slide ass’y with the AXG module would be interesting. Is m not a fan of what GG is offering aesthetically. I have heard that they may offer the Issac slide in a limited production. 

35 minutes ago, Stician said:

Interesting.  I ran the accelerator drill with stock GR and plug, tungsten GR and stock plug, and tungsten GR and plug... I settled on the last one.  I'm going to give it another go with the tungsten GR and stock plug.

I did similar tests. Also changed recoil spring weights. Little difference with guide rods(stl/tungsten), but what I did notice with the tungsten guide rod much smoother when shooting on the move.  For me at least.  Wife preferred tungsten over steel. 

1 hour ago, jaep1911 said:

I shot a match with my new AXG combo rig this weekend and loved how it felt. How the gun was planted in my hands alone was worth the conversion for me. YMMV. I have small hands and am not a big fan of the shape of the TXG module although I have ground off quite a bit of material

Yeah, the Isaac slide ass’y with the AXG module would be interesting. Is m not a fan of what GG is offering aesthetically. I have heard that they may offer the Issac slide in a limited production. 

Got a picture of the combo?