Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roll Sizing Question

icestud

From what I've seen, the roll sizing only affects the base of the casing and does not resize the entire case.  Thereby, sizing in a sizing die is needed  after roll sizing (or maybe before - I haven't tried that) to bring the entire case dimension down to allow gauging.

That depends on the chamber of your gun(s) and how much the case expands.  Even though the Case Pro rolls the entire length, the mouth springs back more than the base, so if you have a large chamber and lots of expansion, chances are it's not going to drop into the case gauge until after you put it through a sizing die.  For example, the fired brass from my 1911/2011s drops into a case gauge even before rolling or resizing because they all have tight chambers.  With a Glock, it's probably not going to drop even after rolling in the Case Pro.

Thank you for all the replies. I will add that after I roll size they are not going all the way in the case gauge, some will stick out maybe 3/16 some as little as 1/16

I'm questioning whether  or not the dies were ground correctly

I should add this is a mix of ammo I have shot out of several 9s and range pick up brass

Matt

Edited by icestud

2 hours ago, icestud said:

Thank you for all the replies. I will add that after I roll size they are not going all the way in the case gauge, some will stick out maybe 3/16 some as little as 1/16

I'm questioning whether  or not the dies were ground correctly

I should add this is a mix of ammo I have shot out of several 9s and range pick up brass

Matt

Is it possible some of the range pickup brass was from 9mm Major?  Those tend to be the ones sticking up out of my Hundo gauge. Those are "plunk tested" in the barrel and if it passes that test then the case head is marked so they go into the gun at LAMR. If it doesn't chamber then, no big deal. Just rack that one out and continue. 

And this is after they are deprimed and sized on the Dillon, wet tumbled and then ran through the CasePro.  Some brass is just stubborn.  😄

BC

Edited by BillChunn

I picked up a Rollsizer here and have much better results on ammo coming off the press. As mentioned I brass graze and always leave the range with more than I shot. Most case gauge and some don't after Rollsizing. But 98% case gauge or plunk test after loading. Definitely a nice addition to my reloading process.

• 1 year later...

I know the rollsizer resizes the bottom 1/3rd of the case.  Does anyone know if the CasePro 100 resizes the full length of the case?  I'm looking for something that will make reloading on my 650 & 550 easier for 357 and 44mag without having to automate my 1050 and buying tool heads and conversions for it.  The other option is using lube to decap/resize, clean the brass again, then run it through to reload it.

2 hours ago, VanMan1961 said:

I know the rollsizer resizes the bottom 1/3rd of the case.  Does anyone know if the CasePro 100 resizes the full length of the case?  I'm looking for something that will make reloading on my 650 & 550 easier for 357 and 44mag without having to automate my 1050 and buying tool heads and conversions for it.  The other option is using lube to decap/resize, clean the brass again, then run it through to reload it.

The CasePro doesn’t resize the full length. You’ll see the case mouth becomes oval as the case starts rolling between the sizing plates. This doesn’t resize the case as a sizing die does. I used to use the Undersize dies but the die would scrape the brass. That’s why I went with the CasePro. I now use a standard Dillon resizing die. 

My process is to deprime the case, wet tumble, CasePro them, lube when I resize and load. Loads are consistent and pass the case gauge.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:38 PM, HI5-O said:

The CasePro doesn’t resize the full length. You’ll see the case mouth becomes oval as the case starts rolling between the sizing plates. This doesn’t resize the case as a sizing die does. I used to use the Undersize dies but the die would scrape the brass. That’s why I went with the CasePro. I now use a standard Dillon resizing die. 

My process is to deprime the case, wet tumble, CasePro them, lube when I resize and load. Loads are consistent and pass the case gauge.

Thanks for the info.  Guess using lube is the route to go on the larger pistol brass.

Remember that your final case dimensions are a combination of the rollsizing and your sizing die. The former is fixed but you can adjust the sizing die so that your final cartridge fits the chamber with no excessive play. this will result in minimal case distortion during firing.

Obviously there must be sufficient clearance for muck in the chamber.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...