Frankford Arsenal FX-10 progressive press

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/16/2023 at 12:26 PM, texasdawg said:

I bought one of the X10's today and it supposedly has shipped today with ground shipping.

Could one of you who actually receive and run a full retail X-10 give us a review please. I'm especially interested in the length of handle throw. In the video reviews I've watched it seems to be about 30% longer than my Dillons. 

Thanks.

41 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Could one of you who actually receive and run a full retail X-10 give us a review please. I'm especially interested in the length of handle throw. In the video reviews I've watched it seems to be about 30% longer than my Dillons. 

Thanks.

You may have already seen these; but just in case......posted by a Randal Bragg on the X-10 FB Group:

For the new X-10 press owners (and current)...please watch this video I put together BEFORE assembling your press and watch it end to end. These are some set up tricks and other information to help you have a great experience with set up. It is not a full set up video...hopefully I can do one at a later date.

Again, please watch till the end which explains (short cycling) and why NOT to do it. The time will be worth your while and save you headaches. Also please watch the video I posted on proper indexing adjustment; you will thank yourself.

https://youtu.be/cQl1JfkKZsM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/434382777991585

HTHs...........

:)

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

22 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

HTHs...........

Yes it does. They still have that horribly long handle movement. The press appears to have some great features and innovations, especially for the price. However that 180 degree plus handle movement is too much. Still staying with and recommending Blue. 

Now if they would sell a brass feeder/collator for half the price....

38 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Yes it does. They still have that horribly long handle movement. The press appears to have some great features and innovations, especially for the price. However that 180 degree plus handle movement is too much. Still staying with and recommending Blue. 

Now if they would sell a brass feeder/collator for half the price....

I just watched some video wow that's a long ass stroke.

3 hours ago, dtuns said:

I just watched some video wow that's a long ass stroke.

if the stroke is 180... it can be electric motor driven with a large gear and chain...

the need for oscillation is a big hurdle for automating a press like a 750.

so there is a good base for an automated press.

we still need a good primer collator. 

so far this looks like a good value for a big press.

miranda

edited to add... found a 45 minute vid.  I skipped thru it looking...

at 13:03 he swings the handle. it pretty clearly goes 180.

Edited by Miranda

I just got my press. I've loaded about 500 9mm rounds so far. I'm not convinced the powder measure is better than my Lee auto drum. It leaks onto the shellplate as the case exits. It leaks a small bit onto the top of the shellplate. It has a decent size variance of about ±.2 with sport pistol and ±.1 with CFE-P. My Lee auto drum meter those almost perfectly at a variance of ±.05. The cases sometimes hang up on the case inserter. The other issue I have is the shellplate sometimes hangs up on the upstroke. It happens when no case is present on the case inserter so I know it's not that. I think it's the primer wheel gear catching or doing something. On the good side the indexing is great. My swager and primer station both have hold down dies in them so they are incredibly consistent. The press has an overtravel stop opposite of the sizing station which helps with tool head stability and prevents rocking. It's time consuming to change calibers. If you want to clean up powder or brass shavings you have to remove the powder drum, tool head, and primer assembly. All which use lots of bolts so it's kinda of a pain. The shellplate also uses a nice bearing which may get debris inside which can make the shellplate rotate roughly in the future. 

9 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

I just got my press. I've loaded about 500 9mm rounds so far.  .. snip

I quoted to let you know....

thank you for that post. 

Perhaps swap in the lee auto drum?

I needed two stand-off things to fit a drum to my 650.

On 3/27/2023 at 9:45 PM, Thomas918 said:

I just got my press. I've loaded about 500 9mm rounds so far. I'm not convinced the powder measure is better than my Lee auto drum. It leaks onto the shellplate as the case exits. It leaks a small bit onto the top of the shellplate. It has a decent size variance of about ±.2 with sport pistol and ±.1 with CFE-P. 

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback - greatly appreciated. I'm very much on the fence about purchasing one.

I've been following the press for some time via YouTube/forums (don't have Facebook so I can't view discussions in the x10 group everyone references). Have you had any more time on the press since you posted the above? Any additional thoughts/comments on functionality, durability, and/or general use? One item of concern to me is what I found on a recent  YouTube video posted by Reloading Journey - after installing his shell plate and while setting primer depth one of his bearings ruptured. This issue came up during the pilot program and was supposedly remediated by FA via a redesigned index cam/arm prior to sending Midway their revised retail units; however, perhaps it wasn't.  

I'm new here, so nice to meet you all - incredible forum/community. Thanks in advance for any additional information you're able to share. 

Take care and have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced similar issues with the powder measure.  The variances are quite large (+/- .2) as your observations and with similar powder spillage.  I have the post-demo production release version.  I got this along with a friend who does not seem to have similar powder measure issues.  So, it's a head-scratcher at this point.

This is my first experience with this type of dispenser, coming from Dillon presses.  I had high hopes.  Hopefully there will be a mod/fix for this from the greater community...once there are a few more in the wild.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:45 PM, Thomas918 said:

I just got my press. I've loaded about 500 9mm rounds so far. I'm not convinced the powder measure is better than my Lee auto drum. It leaks onto the shellplate as the case exits. It leaks a small bit onto the top of the shellplate. It has a decent size variance of about ±.2 with sport pistol and ±.1 with CFE-P. My Lee auto drum meter those almost perfectly at a variance of ±.05. The cases sometimes hang up on the case inserter. The other issue I have is the shellplate sometimes hangs up on the upstroke. It happens when no case is present on the case inserter so I know it's not that. I think it's the primer wheel gear catching or doing something. On the good side the indexing is great. My swager and primer station both have hold down dies in them so they are incredibly consistent. The press has an overtravel stop opposite of the sizing station which helps with tool head stability and prevents rocking. It's time consuming to change calibers. If you want to clean up powder or brass shavings you have to remove the powder drum, tool head, and primer assembly. All which use lots of bolts so it's kinda of a pain. The shellplate also uses a nice bearing which may get debris inside which can make the shellplate rotate roughly in the future. 

The stroke is terrible.  I only reload pistol, so maybe this is for the rifle folks, I dunno.  But that strokes with that lever.
This is one area I will look for an aftermarket option.  And while were at it...the mounting point...it requires you to have the press at the front end of the table.  I like center mounts...on stands.  This would require a very tall perch and the the press is already a very tall beast.   

There is just quite a bit of awkwardness with the mounting and lever that no one seems to have mentioned.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:48 AM, Miranda said:

if the stroke is 180... it can be electric motor driven with a large gear and chain...

the need for oscillation is a big hurdle for automating a press like a 750.

so there is a good base for an automated press.

we still need a good primer collator. 

so far this looks like a good value for a big press.

miranda

edited to add... found a 45 minute vid.  I skipped thru it looking...

at 13:03 he swings the handle. it pretty clearly goes 180.

3 hours ago, Zachjet said:

So what’s the verdict? 
is it worth it. Or stay away from it?

we do not have a clear post or vid that answers that...

the press does a lot and has a lot of options.

I have decided it is a bit big for my needs and

should you need such a press, no one has said anything

that makes me think the press will break or bend.

I like to tinker and If I were to attempt to build an automat

it looks like a good base for that option...

miranda

I just loaded another 1500 rounds on it. The only hickups I had this time were cases were stuck at the top of the case feeder tube that I just stuck a pick into and it cleared up(the feeder has a slot in it just for clearing cases). It's my first motorized case feeder so I'm not sure if that happens with them or not. I also haven't adjusted it since the first time I set it up. The stroke is long but not bothersome at all to me. It doesn't slow down the rate of loading at all and it doesn't have any resistance except at the bottom 10% when the cases enter the sizing die and such. The handle with literally fall down into position if you let it. Now with using more powders with it and putting graphite all into the powder hopper everything seems to have tightened up variance wise. I have a little bit of variance with n300 series powders though which doesn't surprise me. Surprisingly enough AA#2 doesn't leak very much at all despite it being the smallest and finest powder I've used to date.

I have 8 positions filled with dies. 2 decappers, a sizing die over the swage station, a hold down die over the prime station, Lee universal expander, powder dropper, then an empty station that will eventually be filled with a powder die or checker, then a seating die, and a taper crimp.