Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frankford Arsenal FX-10 progressive press

After about 1000 rounds I am loving mine.  Most of my early problems were self inflicted.  The videos on U-Tube helped with the case feeding issue and just getting familiar with the machine solved the rest.

Hope you get it figured out.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well, this thread is about the consideration of what good or bad
is in the press.  so far, we have some who clearly got a bad press.
The questions that come up when discussing those problems
are rather similar to Dillon and Lee presses...

Bearings going bad is what I'd consider a design flaw.
There is a problem with making every thing adjustable,
it means that everything is adjustable...

I have not been able to settle on how hard the adjusting is
nor, once set, if the adjustments hold.

Thus far in this thread, we have new presses needing adjustments from factory new.
and based on my Lee experience, I think that 'normal.'

I did add (and add is important) a thrust bearing under the shell plate
of my 650.  So I am thinking that any press has a trial and adjustment phase
to get everything running smoothly.

I am not sure how to evaluate the "replace the bearings" trend I am seeing.
it is good to know both that it may be needed and what parts to get.

for a moment, lets call the press, a 10 station progressive kit.
if we want to compare the kit to something... a mark7 is possible.
Is that difference enough to make clear
"what price glory?"

miranda

I now have a 3d printed case slider which helps case feeding significantly, along with the shim under the shell plate.  I decided to scrap the FA 2in 1 bullet feed/seat assy, and just use a normal bullet drop die and bullet seating die.  That improved relaibilty.  Its just sad I purchased that thinking it would work, but honestly created more headache than functionality.  FA did send me a brand new 9mm bullet feed assembly, but I think its just going to collect dust.  I dont want to even waste my time setting it up again.  Sad.. I have 2  9mm FA bullet seat kits that are a waste.  I managed to creat a bullet drop assembly to work while I wait for a long back ordered powder relocation rod.   I had minimal issues setting up and running over 25k rds thru my 750.  Im at 800rds through this and ready to send it to the scrap yard.   When you spend more time tinkering and upgrading parts to McGyver it to work,  doesnt give a warm and fuzzy.  

2 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

I now have a 3d printed case slider which helps case feeding significantly, along with the shim under the shell plate.  I decided to scrap the FA 2in 1 bullet feed/seat assy, and just use a normal bullet drop die and bullet seating die.  That improved relaibilty.  Its just sad I purchased that thinking it would work, but honestly created more headache than functionality.  FA did send me a brand new 9mm bullet feed assembly, but I think its just going to collect dust.  I dont want to even waste my time setting it up again.  Sad.. I have 2  9mm FA bullet seat kits that are a waste.  I managed to creat a bullet drop assembly to work while I wait for a long back ordered powder relocation rod.   I had minimal issues setting up and running over 25k rds thru my 750.  Im at 800rds through this and ready to send it to the scrap yard.   When you spend more time tinkering and upgrading parts to McGyver it to work,  doesnt give a warm and fuzzy.  

I *think* mine is to the point of working consistently. It definitely needed some adjusting and tinkering. Truth is that most of the press and components seem pretty good and there are some extremely well thought out parts of the press. 

I really like the case feeder and so far it has been more reliable than my old Dillon. Same for the priming system. 

The bullet feeder has been a steaming dog turd. They sent me an entire caliber conversion kit to fix a stripped screw (from factory) on the bullet guide. The large 9mm guide wasn't machined correctly from the factory and the new kit also had an incorrectly machined bullet guide. I managed to fix it with a Dremel. Getting the collator to feed consistently has been a pain in the ass. It's never just right. I *think* I have it running well enough, but as soon as the powder relocation kit comes back in stock I am slapping a MBF on there and ditching the FA version entirely. Bonus is that I get to use a Hornady seating die that way which is light years better.

More ranting on the bullet feeder - why did they think it was a good idea to cram it into one station and put the powder drop where it was? Should have made the station after priming the default location for powder and used 2 stations to feed/seat bullets like every other solution.

All in all I think I will like this press. It's early in our relationship but I think I understand the quirks and have a good idea of how to keep her running.

Edit to add: someone creative needs to come up with a 3d printable plate and possibly some bullet guides to get their bullet collator reliable. If that happens it could make the FA feeder workable.

Edited by JRM83

So my bullet collator has been flawless. I have a thin 3d printed bullet drop coming to use with my MrBullet feeder die.  I am waiting for the powder relocation rod to be in stock ( Im told mid May)  Its sad this machine needs so many aftermarket better thought out parts to make this work.  

8 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

So my bullet collator has been flawless. I have a thin 3d printed bullet drop coming to use with my MrBullet feeder die.  I am waiting for the powder relocation rod to be in stock ( Im told mid May)  Its sad this machine needs so many aftermarket better thought out parts to make this work.  

What bullet are you loading? Based on what I've seen from the collator in operation I suspect it is very sensitive to bullet weight and profile. I am loading 147 grain gallant bullets and they are giving it fits.

3 minutes ago, NOSHMJ said:

I am loading 124 PD V2s.   

Kinda what I expected. I think the issue is for longer bullets. To get reliable feeding without upside down bullets you need to use a 4 plate which feeds slower than the 5. The long profile causes more bullets to get stuck in the drop hole when they get pinched by the plate as it rotates. Slowing it down to the point that doesn't happen makes it so the collator can't keep up with the press. Best solution I've found is to try and balance very few stuck bullets with enough speed to keep the press running. 

Not sure I want to start messing around with the geometry of the drop hole or plate yet.

I do like the post, Farmer.

I wonder where the line is from needs more R&D to well defined product.
for this press, I decided it will require tinkering.
so yeah, more R&D is perhaps a task before Frankford Armory.

I am hoping FA will find that an easily finished effort.

This thread tells us, lets call it 6 presses that are past adjustability for any reason
as compared to I have no idea how many made.

If the press miss-functions on one in a hundred, then anyone
spoiled by the Dillon 650 will state the press is lacking...

I doubt the FA wants to be called 'the Lee of 10 station presses'
and I am headed that way in my evaluation.

Please keep in mind I think Lee presses are worth their price,  most of the time.

In a pointed assessment, Dillon's case trimming solution on a 650 is effective AND

higher priced than I think reasonable for the items involved. 

The LEE APP is beginning to look like my primer pocket decrimp solution.

miranda