Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frankford Arsenal FX-10 progressive press

4 hours ago, Nolan said:

Think of the Lee presses as the Harbor Freight of reloading presses, it will get the job done, but they are definitely not for the volume reloader.

Nolan

Hi Nolan, 

Let say that some of my unusual sense of humor was in my post and I agree that Lee's press are

ummm  'value priced'  and  that I own, like, and use a 650.   k?

I happen to like tinkering/inventing/problem-solving.  As such, a lee press is loads of fun.

When I want ammo?  I use the 650.

That 650 press has a lot of good thinking in it.

To attempt to kick this a bit further, we don't (ok _I_ don't) know how good this new press is.

The price point is past what I think I am willing to spend for a tinker/lee type press.

(this is where I grin...) Please believe me that I am willing to buy one just to tinker...

We are just haggling over the price of that joy.  

No one has paid me to re-engineer their products and if they can't create a good item, 

I am not willing to pay a dear price to fix it for 'em.  I can make cheap junk too.

Given the forces I see involved with swaging,  that detail is a big problem if the press is

not made with that problem clearly and stoutly solved. 

To some extent making 50 and testing them does imply that FA is trying to create a good product.

It also means longer before I can evaluate any reviews

and decide if I want to save for a bit to get one.

so I am very interested and have an open mind on what may be coming.

miranda

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the look of this and I will be buying a press in the near term future but I kept watching the length of stroke for each round.  I realize that they have really catered to loading rifle rounds with this unit and need the travel for that purpose but that pull stroke means standing is a must.  I hope someone can engineer either a different compounding system for arms to increase stroke with less rod travel  That is a lot more energy expended for some of us that only load pistol rounds.

1 minute ago, fuzzysights said:

I like the look of this and I will be buying a press in the near term future but I kept watching the length of stroke for each round.  I realize that they have really catered to loading rifle rounds with this unit and need the travel for that purpose but that pull stroke means standing is a must.  I hope someone can engineer either a different compounding system for arms to increase stroke with less rod travel  That is a lot more energy expended for some of us that only load pistol rounds.

That is my concern as well. I load sitting down. 

have you ever thought,  what are they selling?

From the start, it looks like a good base for a home built 

motorized ammo press.

the length of the stroke may not have crossed their minds?

my desires are more modest,  a primer collator, a bullet feed

and swage all done while I am cranking a press.

and that don't help you,  what press has a shorter stroke

than say a lee turret?  

miranda

13 hours ago, Miranda said:

have you ever thought,  what are they selling?

From the start, it looks like a good base for a home built 

motorized ammo press.

the length of the stroke may not have crossed their minds?

my desires are more modest,  a primer collator, a bullet feed

and swage all done while I am cranking a press.

and that don't help you,  what press has a shorter stroke

than say a lee turret?  

miranda

I have a Hornady progressive that I got running like a top till I get that crimped 9MM case. I'm looking at this for the swaging as well.

I see a lot of posts on several support pages about reloaders battling with crimped primer pockets, especially when using the Ginex primers that "supposedly" have a thicker cup.

IMO, this is going to be the future of worry free "swaging" without actually having to swage!

https://vp-mfg.com/shop/complete-kits/

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72

VP-Mfg. is currently talking with Mark 7 about developing a unit for their press line; and hopefully it will transition down to FA for their FX-10!

🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 12:48 AM, SIGcurious said:

There are a good number of YouTube videos from early adopters. All seem positive. 

I've heard very good things, both about the press and about FA's response to a couple of improvements that could be made.

2 hours ago, clw42 said:

I've heard very good things, both about the press and about FA's response to a couple of improvements that could be made.

so far, I have only seen u-tube vids from the  people who got one of the 50 test presses.

so while I believe them as far as they go, I do want to hear from the slightly less lucky souls

who may have one from the normal production ...

onward, I see a price of a penny less than a grand. ..  and not in stock.

yall think that is that about where this will be priced?

and is there an option without their case feeder?

miranda

ETA:   ah clw42, I realize not that I maybe shouldn't have quoted your post

as my post was more generic questions.

I think I started to ask you just about youtube vids and

if you found one that I likely missed. 

Edited by Miranda
added a further thought.

47 minutes ago, Miranda said:

ETA:   ah clw42, I realize not that I maybe shouldn't have quoted your post

as my post was more generic questions.

I think I started to ask you just about youtube vids and

if you found one that I likely missed. 

That's okay, not a problem. 

I likely have not seen anything you haven't, however, I do know someone that has an inside track on the development of the press.  It's the typical, I know a guy who knows a guy type of thing.  Having said that, I will be buying one based on this person's engineering prowess,insight and knowledge of the project.  If the marketing claims hold (which they appear to be doing) and the price point is maintainable (jury is still out), then I think this press has the potential to really shake up the market.  They will for certain do some damage to Lyman/MK7, and likely Dillon as well.  Even if they come in at $1,500 (totally made up by me), it's a game changer.  All in my opinion of course.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:13 PM, clw42 said:

Even if they come in at $1,500 (totally made up by me), it's a game changer.  All in my opinion of course.

That price is looking more and more likely. When introduced, if I remember correctly, the price was going to be $1100. Then with the name change they also increased the price to $1200. For what this press is, compared to the competition this is a steal. Just checked the FA website and they now do not list a price. In my mind, that only means one thing. Still a good price, but not the industry knock out price that $1100 or $1200 would have been.

1 hour ago, eboos said:

That price is looking more and more likely. When introduced, if I remember correctly, the price was going to be $1100. Then with the name change they also increased the price to $1200. For what this press is, compared to the competition this is a steal. Just checked the FA website and they now do not list a price. In my mind, that only means one thing. Still a good price, but not the industry knock out price that $1100 or $1200 would have been.

Agreed, maybe not a knockout price, but still very good for what you get.  Also, their accessories seem much less expensive as well...so that's something else to consider.  If nothing else, it will probably take more from Lyman than Dillon.

On 1/12/2023 at 4:21 PM, clw42 said:

If nothing else, it will probably take more from Lyman than Dillon.

Really?  Help me understand your reason(s) for this statement.............

🤔

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

On 1/13/2023 at 2:13 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Really?  Help me understand your reason(s) for this statement.............

🤔

It's a 10 stage press, supposedly built like a tank, cost is half (at least), and someone will automate it.  I think it will draw more fence sitters, people who would upgrade to the MK7 but it's cost prohibitive.  Also, I don't think they have the brand loyalty of Dillon customers.  It's not scientific, just my opinion.

4 hours ago, clw42 said:

It's a 10 stage press, supposedly built like a tank, cost is half (at least), and someone will automate it.  I think it will draw more fence sitters, people who would upgrade to the MK7 but it's cost prohibitive.  Also, I don't think they have the brand loyalty of Dillon customers.  It's not scientific, just my opinion.

I definitely respect and understand your opinion!  After moving from a "dedicated" Dillon customer who most recently owned an RL1100, to the Mark 7 Apex10, my experience of having/utilizing a 10 station press has far exceeded my expectations!

I feel confident that those considering the 8 station, RL1100 at $2200 vs the 10 station FX10 at $1200 will lean towards the FA unit if they fully understand the benefits of a 10 station press!  And I feel FA is committed to standing behind and fully supporting this press!

Yea, the MK7 is definitely more expensive; but again IMO, the quality and CNC machining of components justifies that additional cost............

👍

10 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I definitely respect and understand your opinion!  After moving from a "dedicated" Dillon customer who most recently owned an RL1100, to the Mark 7 Apex10, my experience of having/utilizing a 10 station press has far exceeded my expectations!

I feel confident that those considering the 8 station, RL1100 at $2200 vs the 10 station FX10 at $1200 will lean towards the FA unit if they fully understand the benefits of a 10 station press!  And I feel FA is committed to standing behind and fully supporting this press!

Yea, the MK7 is definitely more expensive; but again IMO, the quality and CNC machining of components justifies that additional cost............

👍

I've been a Dillon fan boy as well.  I thought about the MK7, but I got scared off by the primer feed issues people were having at the time I was ready to upgrade, so I ended up going with the 1100.  I don't necessarily regret it, but I'd likely make a different choice if I were to do it over again.  At this point, I won't trade the 1100 to upgrade to the MK7.  However, I may sell a 650 and buy the X-10 when the time is right.

Also, valid point on the 8 to 10 station upgrade.  Dillon will probably lose some sales also.  I just think their brand loyalty is stronger.  Maybe I'm wrong though, who knows.  I guess we'll find out when the X-10 starts selling.

Edited by clw42

Usually, you get what you pay for; see how the FA holds up over long term. The one thing that still bothers me is the flexing of the FA tool head and its impact on overall cartridge length. 
Perhaps my reservation is unfounded as I do not own the FA press.

12 hours ago, clw42 said:

I've been a Dillon fan boy as well.  I thought about the MK7, but I got scared off by the primer feed issues people were having at the time I was ready to upgrade, so I ended up going with the 1100.  I don't necessarily regret it, but I'd likely make a different choice if I were to do it over again.  At this point, I won't trade the 1100 to upgrade to the MK7.  However, I may sell a 650 and buy the X-10 when the time is right.

Also, valid point on the 8 to 10 station upgrade.  Dillon will probably lose some sales also.  I just think their brand loyalty is stronger.  Maybe I'm wrong though, who knows.  I guess we'll find out when the X-10 starts selling.

Yes, Dillon has had brand loyalty for a long time!  But, IMO, since Mike passed I don't think they have been aggressive enough in their development department.....

Prior to buying the Apex10, I had serious reservations based on what I had heard and read about their primer issues.  However, I felt that I had the ability to learn the system and maintain it just as I had to do with the RL1100. Supposedly the current setup has helped tremendously, and so far I have had ZERO issues with the priming system.

Of all the years I owned/operated the XL650 series, I never remember having any priming issues whatsoever.  IMO, it was one of the easiest priming systems to operate and maintain!  With that being said, the first major issue I had with the RL1100 was the priming system!  And it jammed the press up solid!  All due to poor quality control on whomever did the assembly on my machine prior to shipment.

I do think that competition is a good thing for us consumers; and I hope the X10 proves to be a great product.  Time will tell...........

;)

28 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

Usually, you get what you pay for; see how the FA holds up over long term. The one thing that still bothers me is the flexing of the FA tool head and its impact on overall cartridge length. 
Perhaps my reservation is unfounded as I do not own the FA press.

Agree!

I have seen several videos/posts about how the X10 will run just fine once it's set up "correctly".  But have not seen anyone discuss/talk about consistent primer seating depths and/or consistent OALs of finished cartridges.  Would also like to hear how well the powder measure dispenses with popular powders...........

Hopefully after SHOT they will be hitting distributors warehouses for shipment.  I've read that Midway USA has 200 units that will be available shortly.................

https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-presses-and-accessories/br?cid=23847&Brand=Frankford Arsenal

;)👍

53 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Yes, Dillon has had brand loyalty for a long time!  But, IMO, since Mike passed I don't think they have been aggressive enough in their development department.....

Prior to buying the Apex10, I had serious reservations based on what I had heard and read about their primer issues.  However, I felt that I had the ability to learn the system and maintain it just as I had to do with the RL1100. Supposedly the current setup has helped tremendously, and so far I have had ZERO issues with the priming system.

Of all the years I owned/operated the XL650 series, I never remember having any priming issues whatsoever.  IMO, it was one of the easiest priming systems to operate and maintain!  With that being said, the first major issue I had with the RL1100 was the priming system!  And it jammed the press up solid!  All due to poor quality control on whomever did the assembly on my machine prior to shipment.

I do think that competition is a good thing for us consumers; and I hope the X10 proves to be a great product.  Time will tell...........

;)

Totally agree on the Dillon front.  How they haven't seen the 10 station need is beyond me.  MK7 should have been the wake up call.  While I appreciate upgraded designs, new innovations always catch my eye.

Funny (not haha) you had issues with the 1100 priming system and I was scared off by reports of MK7 issues.  You didn't have them with the MK7 and I haven't had any with the 1100...Like I said, if I were buying now (and FA wasn't coming out with the X10) I'd likely get the MK7. 

Competition is always a good thing!!

58 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Agree!

I have seen several videos/posts about how the X10 will run just fine once it's set up "correctly".  But have not seen anyone discuss/talk about consistent primer seating depths and/or consistent OALs of finished cartridges.  Would also like to hear how well the powder measure dispenses with popular powders...........

Hopefully after SHOT they will be hitting distributors warehouses for shipment.  I've read that Midway USA has 200 units that will be available shortly.................

https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-presses-and-accessories/br?cid=23847&Brand=Frankford Arsenal

;)👍

Still don’t like the X10 bullet feeder/seating system; reminds of the old GSI system, another bullet I dodged.😆