Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More Optics - Green Dot Diodes - Questions and Thoughts

Sigarmsp226

As I am over 60 years old and my eyes are not what they used to be I have often wondered if a GREEN Dot Diode in my C-More sight systems would lend itself to allowing me to pick up the dot faster?  I currently utilize their 12 MOA in the various weapons I shoot in SCSA and I understand that the green diode might not run as long on a single battery but I might not have to run it as bright as I do the red....

Anyone know if C-More is or has plans to develop a green diode for their shooting systems or is my simple minded idea much more complicated to accomplish that I realize due to the differences in the technology that is required for green dot/laser technology?

Thoughts/Comments

What a great idea.

I've played with lasers and found the green to be much easier to pick up even on sunny days.  If C-More were to come out with a green diode I would give it a try also.  I too shoot a 12 MOA for SCSA.  In the sunlight I need to have it fully turned up to be able to pick it up on target.

I talked to C-More about this almost a year ago and they told me it's not as simple as just putting in a green diode. I believe they said that the glass would need to have a different coating developed for it. They said they were working on the idea but it doesn't seem to be much of a priority. I would buy one in a flash and I think it would be a good seller but then I do prefer green in sights, both fiber optic and dot optics.

They are correct it's not that simple. I am 73 and I also use 12-16 MOA C-Mores plus a few mini red dots on other firearms. One is a Trijicon Rm02a, the batteryless model with a 9MOA green dot on my G34 Open gun. I love it. Except for the cost that is. 

One thing is it takes more power to generate light in the green wavelength. While not as bad in an LED vs a laser it will mean the battery will not last as long, although I don't know the exact figures off the top of my head. Still if it was available I would get a couple. I just don't think they can do it in a module that would work in the current C-More.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:54 PM, egd5 said:

Unless they come up with a better battery for it I'd hate to think it was worse on battery life than the red already is.

are we doing something wrong? we change batteries like twice a year. a serious investment of like $3 each time (3 different guns).

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

are we doing something wrong? we change batteries like twice a year. a serious investment of like $3 each time (3 different guns).

I don’t get it either. My RTS2’s and sliderides go all season on one battery

Both of my C-More sight systems that I use on my rifles will eat through a brand new Duracell or Energizer Lithium battery in two eight stage sessions if I do not turn the unit off between stages....I run a 12MOA click switch on both of mine and when shooting I run both on the next to brightest or brightest setting when I am actively shooting each stage....

I am guessing it is because the 12MOA and the brightest setting puts a huge pull on the fresh batteries I am using....The 6MOA on my pistol lasts an entire season....Mark

I have to torn off mine after every stage also. I have never run a battery completely down but if I see I have to turn it all the way to max just to see it I change it.

True it is not a major expense, but just an inconvenience. Especially when other sights seem to run forever on a battery.

I was replacing my battery on my C-Mores once a month which included practice and one Steel Challenge Match.  These days I turn off the dot between stages and battery is lasting much longer.  Anyway, $5 for a battery is cheap compared to everything else I spend my money on to shoot.

22 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Both of my C-More sight systems that I use on my rifles will eat through a brand new Duracell or Energizer Lithium battery in two eight stage sessions if I do not turn the unit off between stages....I run a 12MOA click switch on both of mine and when shooting I run both on the next to brightest or brightest setting when I am actively shooting each stage....

I am guessing it is because the 12MOA and the brightest setting puts a huge pull on the fresh batteries I am using....The 6MOA on my pistol lasts an entire season....Mark

I think C-More uses the same LED in all of the dot modules, the aperture size is what changes.

Nolan

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

I think C-More uses the same LED in all of the dot modules, the aperture size is what changes.

Nolan

This.... Some dot modules just seem to kill batteries quicker than others.  I've hit this a couple of times ove the years and swapping the module seemed to solve the issue.

The "module" for a old-school C-more is extremely simple.  It's an LED, a brass window with a tiny hole it and some plastic and epoxy.  Different LEDs do draw different amounts of current so that's likely why they use more or less battery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 7:54 PM, caspian guy said:

This.... Some dot modules just seem to kill batteries quicker than others.  I've hit this a couple of times ove the years and swapping the module seemed to solve the issue.

Thanks for posting this feedback.  I will order a replacement module because I have one on my PPC that starts going dim after only being on for 4+ hrs of use (one match)....

Thanks Again...This is helpful for me...Mark

On 11/2/2020 at 7:21 PM, motosapiens said:

No.  You just got lucky.  Neither one of my 6 MOA RTS2 v4s will go an entire 8 stage SCSA match unless I turn them off between stages.  With my Slideride 6 MOA standard I could go one and a half matches before the voltage dropped below 2.8v.  My 12 MOA click Railway is better.  I've used it on setting 5 for 5 matches.  It is getting dimmer now, so I need 6 or 7 clicks.  I think I'll change the battery before tomorrow's match.

The RTS2s are now on guns I don't shoot often.  I replaced them with DPP 2.5s and SRO 5 MOA.  Both are much brighter and the batteries last a really long time.  So far this year I've replaced the battery in one of the DPPs and one of the SROs.  I could have left them in, probably for a long time.  I don't know.  I they looked a little dimmer so I replaced them.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

No.  You just got lucky.  Neither one of my 6 MOA RTS2 v4s will go an entire 8 stage SCSA match unless I turn them off between stages.  With my Slideride 6 MOA standard I could go one and a half matches before the voltage dropped below 2.8v.  My 12 MOA click Railway is better.  I've used it on se

oh, well yeah, i always turn mine off between stages.

I turn my 6 and 8 moa slide rides off between stages.  Battery lasted about a year - and I replaced it before WSSC because I kept hearing how they are such battery pigs and I wanted to just be safe vs. sorry.  I find turning it off between stages makes sense, since I need to set the brightness for the angle of the sun, etc usually anyway.