Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anywhere to get on a back-order list for primers?

chp5

No to be a Debbie downer but there probably aren’t going to be any readily available till after the first of the year for sure...but more likely 12-24 months.

I was in Dillon the other day and they advised their distributors were not taking their (Dillon’s) back orders so I highly doubt they are going to take customer back orders.

The distributors told them not to expect any other primer orders till after the first of the year.

I know it’s only one shop, but if I had to guess that’s probably pretty accurate to be industry wide, for whatever that’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/18/2020 at 6:44 AM, chp5 said:

Anyone know a seller that allows you to back order primers?  All I see aren't taking back orders.  Crazy times!

Check your local State Gun Forums, the reloading ad section. In Ore and Wa, primers are being sold and traded everyday. 

I like to keep 5K in reserve  for times like these, but 5k may not be enough after all.  I've already dipped into my SPP reserve and only have 4K left, which will become 2K if my 158g SWC order ever comes in.  I've passed on Federal SPP a few times the past few weeks due to horror stories of Dillon and Federal primers :(.   LPP I have 10K and no planned reloading sessions for any 45 or 10 in the near future as I am pretty well stocked for those calibers at the moment, so should be ok for the time being.  Well actually I need to load up some 45 AutoRim soon, but I only load about 500K at a time b/c that's all the brass I have for it :).

Have a buddy who doesn't reload, and is getting low on 9mm and 45 - he went to fun show this weekend and ammo prices were jacked up of course and had limits on qty.  I didn't go but had him check the usual vendors for primers and there were none to be found at the show.

I like to keep 5K in reserve  for times like these, but 5k may not be enough after all.  I've already dipped into my SPP reserve and only have 4K left, which will become 2K if my 158g SWC order ever comes in.  I've passed on Federal SPP a few times the past few weeks due to horror stories of Dillon and Federal primers [emoji20].   LPP I have 10K and no planned reloading sessions for any 45 or 10 in the near future as I am pretty well stocked for those calibers at the moment, so should be ok for the time being.  Well actually I need to load up some 45 AutoRim soon, but I only load about 500K at a time b/c that's all the brass I have for it :).

Have a buddy who doesn't reload, and is getting low on 9mm and 45 - he went to fun show this weekend and ammo prices were jacked up of course and had limits on qty.  I didn't go but had him check the usual vendors for primers and there were none to be found at the show.

Loaded 10’s of thousands of Federal SPP and SRP on both Dillon 550 and 650. Standard and magnum.

I didn’t realize there was an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Loaded 10’s of thousands of Federal SPP and SRP on both Dillon 550 and 650. Standard and magnum.

There really isn’t if you’re careful and use good reloading practices. Dillon just doesn’t recommend them

On 9/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, iflyskyhigh said:

On 9/20/2020 at 7:20 PM, Sarge said:

There really isn’t if you’re careful and use good reloading practices. Dillon just doesn’t recommend them

Maybe I will give them a try if they come up again... Dillon doesn't recommend using them since they are softer - I would be loading them on a 1050 not sure if it would make a difference. 

I am just getting started in reloading due to ammo shortage and prices.  The Primer issue has been a big one but even at ridiculous prices it is still way cheaper than buying factory 9mm at over sixty cents a round!

I have been able to get small rifle and small pistol at a local shop at a little more than normal prices.  You can only buy 1k at a time and I go every week when they get new supplies in.  So far I have managed to get 3k small rifle mag, 1k small rifle, 1k small pistol in APS strips lol.  I sold 2k of the small rifle mag at GB prices and turned around and bought 1k small pistol at GB prices so it was a wash.  So for now I managed to acquire 2k Sm rifle mag, 1k small rifle match, 2k sm pistol for a little more than normal prices with some swapping and leg work which should keep me busy for awhile.

No wonder ,we cant find primers, all the ass^^^^s on gunbroker have them and with those kind of prices they are selling them for, All I can say is they can shove them where the sun doesnt shine !!!

OK, yes I know I should have jad enough foresight to see this coming and bought a few extra, But since Im not shooting any matches what I have will do me for awhile!

It just gets me , how some people talk about buying in bulk, then you see things like the the gunbroker sharks selling primers for quaddruple what they are worth. And I would bet that some of those are some of the very same people that talk about buying primers so they could stock up and be ready for these lean times!

But I will say, I have been able to replenish my supply of bullets! Xtreme is on the bal with getting their orders out and in a short amount of time.

From what I was seeing on GunBroker, it wasn't so much gouging as the prices getting bid up really high.

I just saw 9mm ads locally on Armslist for a buck a round and a bunch for 80 cents now. Still a lot cheaper to reload even with inflated primer prices as it would still only be like 25 cents a round.

I passed on primers earlier this year, holding out for CCIs and regret it now. I was lucky enough to score some earlier but I just hope the news of a year or more till we see any meaningful stock is wrong..

No wonder ,we cant find primers, all the ass^^^^s on gunbroker have them and with those kind of prices they are selling them for, All I can say is they can shove them where the sun doesnt shine !!!
OK, yes I know I should have jad enough foresight to see this coming and bought a few extra, But since Im not shooting any matches what I have will do me for awhile!
It just gets me , how some people talk about buying in bulk, then you see things like the the gunbroker sharks selling primers for quaddruple what they are worth. And I would bet that some of those are some of the very same people that talk about buying primers so they could stock up and be ready for these lean times!
But I will say, I have been able to replenish my supply of bullets! Xtreme is on the bal with getting their orders out and in a short amount of time.

I hear anger and resentment in your voice.

Even if everything you espouse is true...so what? So people have a product that is in high demand and they sell said product for the going market value...what’s the issue?

I’ve asked this question before, but again what’s the right price? You don’t have to answer. It’s a rhetorical question. The market sets the price. That’s how the free market works. The problem is in this country we don’t really have a free market. Sheepole think we do. But don’t kid yourself. We don’t.

They are worth what people will pay for them. Econ 101. If they aren’t worth the price being requested they won’t sell.

More people need to read “Economics in One Lesson” by Henry Hazlitt. Maybe if more people actually understand the most basic laws of economics we then we could turn this sh_t show around.

3 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Even if everything you espouse is true...so what? So people have a product that is in high demand and they sell said product for the going market value...what’s the issue?

I’ve asked this question before, but again what’s the right price? You don’t have to answer. It’s a rhetorical question. The market sets the price. That’s how the free market works. The problem is in this country we don’t really have a free market. Sheepole think we do. But don’t kid yourself. We don’t.

They are worth what people will pay for them. Econ 101. If they aren’t worth the price being requested they won’t sell.

More people need to read “Economics in One Lesson” by Henry Hazlitt. Maybe if more people actually understand the most basic laws of economics we then we could turn this sh_t show around.

Agreed. 

Obama taught me to stock primers and .22LR. 

On 9/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, Lastcat said:

Check your local State Gun Forums, the reloading ad section. In Ore and Wa, primers are being sold and traded everyday. 

Yeah.  and they should be arrested for price gouging.  The asking prices for primers are Ludacris.  

5 hours ago, stick said:

Yeah.  and they should be arrested for price gouging.  The asking prices for primers are Ludacris.  

In the Wa Ore forums? Where you seeing that? I've been seeing 35-45 bucks. Also trading straight across rifle for pistol primers. 

19 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I adree 100% ! And I do know economics. Just burns my ass , when I see prices like I saw on GB! 

Bushes fault.

Well...he did kind of start the forever endless longest wars in American history, which in turn consume a sh_t ton of components that might otherwise be available to the general public....so there’s that...