Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lined kydex holster

22h2

Leather can absolutely cause wear on a finish. Not to say leather is bad (I love it) but it can still mess things up if you don't keep it clean.

In my experience, cleanliness is really the key. A dirty holster, regardless of what it is made of, will wear on the finish.

And let's get real here, are you planning to shoot the thing in competition? If you are, it's going to get some wear on the finish. The more, the better. You should hope it does. Cause if it doesn't, you ain't doing it right. 

If it's for matches it'll still make a nice heirloom; just one with more character.

I do plan on shooting it in competition and I would like to limit the amount of wear, the coating is black nitride,  currently I practice a lot of drawing on and off the range,  I have a couple of guns that the finish is completely gone lol.  

18 hours ago, 22h2 said:

they say suede https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/PDR_Low_Ride_Holster not sure I have seen leather really wear a gun,  

When I started shooting matches, one of my friends let me use this exact holster until I find a holster for my CZ. The suede absorb oil and sweat and it added friction when I drew the gun. I didn't have it long, but I would imagine it would be difficult to clean it too.

Unless you shoot limited or open (with race holster), I don't think you can preserve the finish on your gun 😑

thanks risingsun,  I thought about that as well,  I plan on shooting limited with this particular gun so an a race holster may make the most sense.  Im left handed and finding accessories can be complicated. 

Finish wear is confirmation that the tool is being used, and a good thing 🙂 

I may occasionally touch up "proud" metal that's worn with cold blue. The best solution for me is buy hard chrome or stainless, wear problem mostly solved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If appearance matters, and from all the catalog and brag pictures on the www, it seems to matter to a lot of people, it might matter that holster material affects the type of holster wear.  

A kydex holster only touches the gun in a few places.  Wear areas are sharp edged and get bright white in a hurry.  (assuming conventional bluing, I don't know how nitrided steel wears.)

A leather holster has a lot more contact and generates broader but more gradual wear with soft edged areas shading from bare metal through faded blue.  When you hear a collector talk about "character" that is probably what his gun has.

The suede lined Safarilaminate holsters I used to use burnished the gun the second way, the formed kydex I use now in the first manner.  

The holster should be kept clean.  A clean dry bore brush acts like the suede brushes we used to have for our blue suede shoes and suede jackets.  I just drag a rag through the kydex every once in a while.

I don't know about the Garrett, I haven't seen a half dozen of them all told, and no chance to study the guns in those few.  

On 8/19/2020 at 12:15 AM, ubet said:

Garrett industries makes a leather lined kydex and I like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Silent Thunder and really like it, but the leather lining grips the gun making it a little harder to draw.

As said previously, there will be wear.

I was looking at Mark Redl's competition Colt and there isn't much bluing remaining.

• 4 months later...