Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6mm Arc

sschultz

I have a 21” barrel on order with Odin Works alone with their Atlas comp. It’s on back order, but I’m in no hurry. I haven’t picked an upper yet, but I’m going to buy another Spikes lower to put it on. I’ve been shooting Grendel for a couple of years and when they announced this round, I was sold! Especially since I use the same projectile in my 6mm Creedmore. 

Kinda have my mind made up on a Compass Engineering Criterion 22 inch heavy barrel. I contacted JP rifles but they are currently not going to do the ARC .

i also got a feeling that since it was a Hornaday offering and not a Federal that they weren't intrested in it

It is pretty much just a 6 Grendel that has been around for years.

My 6 Grendel is scary accurate.  But if you try to make it into a 6 Creedmore or 243, you will have problems.  Learn to accept lower velocities than you are used to.

• 2 months later...

I'm super curious about the new 6mm ARC... Seems to me that it's sorta like the "new hotness" in the same way the 6 Dasher has/had been recently, except, with Military adoption and the big push by Hornady, a bunch of manufacturers are already jumping in both feet which hadn't really happened with the Dasher........

I put together a 6mm Creedmoor that I've been playing with and had pretty much decided I'd move to the 6 Dasher when my barrel is cooked and it became time for a new barrel, but now it's starting to look like I might need to take a hard look at the 6 ARC if it can do much of the same but is more widely adopted... IDK.

Anyone shot one and have an opinion versus the Dasher..?

Edited by ck1

seems military is adopting all kinds of things lately, Seems like I read it was using 6.8..
Is this 6mm ARC simply necked up 5.56 or is it a different brass.
I am thinking 350 legend when parts become available again. Everyone is sold out.

11 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Is this 6mm ARC simply necked up 5.56 or is it a different brass.

It's 6.5 Grendel necked down with the shoulder pushed back .03" 

So ballistically identical to all the 6mm Grendel wildcats, but dimensionally just different enough to be called a "new" cartridge.

On 7/13/2020 at 6:44 AM, Tom Freeman said:

It is pretty much just a 6 Grendel that has been around for years.

Aaaand the the 6 Grendel is much just a 6 PPC that has been around for may many years before that🙂  I have been shooting it since the early 90's 😀

40 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

I'm leaving that up to Don. He thinks he can use a Wyatt 308 metal mags because of their long feed lips. May require a bit of tweeking, but we will get there.

Curious to see how that works. I thought a 6 Grendel bolt gun would be cool but have no interest figuring out how to make things work.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:10 PM, TonytheTiger said:

There really isn't anything new anymore, just new advertising.

So true!

Curious to see how it runs as well - have had some mixed results with hot new gas calibers lately. Surely easier to find components in 6mm than 22 or 6.5 right now I'd think?

On 10/2/2020 at 9:29 AM, Gary Stevens said:

It is the AWT "Tomahawk" short action , which is based on the Remington 700 footprint, with a .440 diameter bolt face. We are waiting on my stock to arrive.

So I'm a little curious I guess, in a short action bolt gun why go with the necked down grendel instead of a 6 creed or a dasher or a 243 for more velocity?

I can see the 6 grendel or ARC in a small framed gas gun for sure.  (I've tried to talk myself into building a bolt gun in 6 grendel or something like it and was curious about your thinking.)

1 hour ago, lwink said:

Curious to see how it runs as well - have had some mixed results with hot new gas calibers lately. 

I can't imagine it running any different than the 6 Grendel, which in my experience runs great.

Which cartridges are you having trouble with?

2 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

So I'm a little curious I guess, in a short action bolt gun why go with the necked down grendel instead of a 6 creed or a dasher or a 243 for more velocity?

I know you weren't asking me but when I justify a 6ARC bolt gun to myself I think about the availability of formed brass, unlike a Dasher, burning 2/3rds the powder of 243 and getting 90% of the performance, way better barrel life than any of the bigger 6mm's is a huge selling point for a guy like me that has no interest in buying barrel vices and the tools to re barrel a bolt gun, less recoil is a bonus, factory ammo is a nice thought even though I'd never buy it.

Had some barrel and feeding issues trying to run bergers on a 6mm and 6.5 creedmoor  - think it was just not a good ramp cut so i got a "better" barrel and have had better luck. Not sure how the VLD's will run in the ARC, would be great if you could go that way though...

22 Nosler was the most recent "newer" gas gun saga - I got it tuned perfectly right off the bat then new ammo along with some weather changes and needed some big changes in gas. Things got dicey fast there. Probably a combo of powder charges and rebated rim supporting it. 

My 6.5 Creedmoor is still back and forth with gas and feeding for me, have settled on moderate 130 grain loads and am pretty good, but haven't been able to run it like a bolt like i was hoping. Just finally got an H2 SCS with spring kit and hope that will help my brass life and tuning. 

Have some second hand stories of other "new" calibers that catch on fast and some manufacturers jump the gun then we build them as AR's and not everything is quite as dialed, seems like the 350 legend has this going for it now but I'm hoping to get one soon!  Barrel choice seems key there. 

Anyway, I am curious about running some heavier VLD's or ELD's through it as I don't have much experience with that successfully, or if it's even worth it with the 6mm ARC velocities.  Staying tuned for reliability, ballistic, and accuracy updates!

6 minutes ago, lwink said:

Not sure how the VLD's will run in the ARC, would be great if you could go that way though...

Not a direct answer to your question because its a 6G and not a Berger VLD, but the Barnes 112gr Match Burner feeds fine.

received_494308231183708.jpeg

36 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Not a direct answer to your question because its a 6G and not a Berger VLD, but the Barnes 112gr Match Burner feeds fine.

That's a good enough answer! if those go sure the 105 VLD will too. What barrel/receiver is that running in?? Is it mag dependent as well or just runs fine?