Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendation for a good degreaser

JasonTrewin

1 hour ago, Honeybooboo said:

Gun Scrubber. 

I stopped using Gun Scrubber when I realized non chlorinated brake cleaner is basically the same stuff. At 1/6th the cost.

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

I stopped using Gun Scrubber when I realized non chlorinated brake cleaner is basically the same stuff. At 1/6th the cost.

true. I figured it was. Gun Scrubber gives me piece of mind knowing it’s a “gun” product. 

there’s that Powder Blast stuff too that I think is harsher then gun scrubber. Lucas makes a gun cleaner too. Not sure if that’s just brake cleaner too. 

Looks like Lucas is continuing to take commonly available petro chemcals, repackage and grossly inflate the price.
The spray can Lucas gun cleaner gunscrubber, nonclorinated brake cleaner, electrical contact cleaner is all pretty much the same.  Just looked up the MSDS,,,  The ultrasonic gun cleaner is mineral spirits 

Edited by Joe4d

52 minutes ago, davsco said:

why?

It not a lubricant. It works by displacing water to prevent rust and corrosion. You still ave to use a lubricant like oil or grease after using WD-40.

WD-40: Water Displacement 40th Formula.

10 minutes ago, George16 said:

It not a lubricant. It works by displacing water to prevent rust and corrosion. You still ave to use a lubricant like oil or grease after using WD-40.

WD-40: Water Displacement 40th Formula.

THIS^^^ And next thing you know you’ll think it will make a great press lube or case lube. Then you get contaminated powder or primers. 
My WD40 stays in the garage

10 hours ago, assaulter said:

The Lucas Contact Cleaner is way beyond brake cleaner/gunscrubber.  I love that stuff!

I use lucas oil on rails/frame/slide.  Good stuff.   I had my kimber 1911 service (feed issues, ramp needed to be polished) and he mentioned never use wd40 on anything.  He seemed quite admit about it.   Have to say once he polished the feed ramp picky 1911 had 0 issues afterwards.   WC i had, 0 issue since day once, minus the price.