Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who’s the go-to for Shadow 2 Optic Machining?

chowellacsbd

Looking to have my shadow 2 machined for an optic (either a dpp or rmr) and see there quite a few “methods” of getting the dot to mount to the slide.

I’ve narrowed it down to:

• Primary Machine
  • Cajun Gunworks
  • Fire for Effect

Ive seen a few methods in which there are clearly exposed threads from the mounting screws.

Does anyone have experience with any of the above shops?

These are on SP01 Shadow and posting them for your reference. The first one was done by CZCustoms and the second one was by CGW. Both sit on plates but the one milled by CZCustoms sits much closer to the top of the slide. Advantage with these two companies is your not tied to one RDS. 

CZCustoms makes a plate with rear sight if you decide to take the optic off and shoot irons. They make them for both SP01 and Shadow 2. 

Hope this helps. 

C183EB90-2D33-4223-A455-34BAFC15A2C6.jpeg

15DB2EA1-2D36-4708-AD24-F77EC36EAD99.jpeg

Edited by ramnj

2 hours ago, ramnj said:

These are on SP01 Shadow and posting them for your reference. The first one was done by CZCustoms and the second one was by CGW. Both sit on plates but the one milled by CZCustoms sits much closer to the top of the slide. Advantage with these two companies is your not tied to one RDS. 

CZCustoms makes a plate with rear sight if you decide to take the optic off and shoot irons. They make them for both SP01 and Shadow 2. 

Hope this helps. 

C183EB90-2D33-4223-A455-34BAFC15A2C6.jpeg

15DB2EA1-2D36-4708-AD24-F77EC36EAD99.jpeg

Thanks for this!

Unfortunately the extra space in front of the optic is what lead me to not want a multi optic mount.

6 minutes ago, Joedirt199 said:

Yup all direct rmr mounted. They measure your optic to make sure it is within the tolerances of their milling cuts.

from a few pics Ive notice there’s what seems to be cylinders visible from the side of the slide. I assume those are some sort of proprietary mounting solution to allow the rmr screws to grab more threads in the slide cut?

7F6B3910-7917-412D-9C7A-95E553371027.jpeg

28 minutes ago, chowellacsbd said:

Unfortunately the extra space in front of the optic is what lead me to not want a multi optic mount.

Maybe you could see if someone will mill you one but use the CHPWS plate instead..? Their plate doesn't leave the gap open...

CHPWS plate 1.jpg

Edited by ck1

5 hours ago, Joedirt199 said:

Yup all direct rmr mounted. They measure your optic to make sure it is within the tolerances of their milling cuts. Optic actually snaps into place so very little stress on the screws.

The optic manufacturers tell us they want a slight gap forward and aft, so the slide isn't transmitting 100% of the force and momentum into the optic.  A little clearance is a good thing.  🙂

34 minutes ago, teros135 said:

The optic manufacturers tell us they want a slight gap forward and aft, so the slide isn't transmitting 100% of the force and momentum into the optic.  A little clearance is a good thing.  🙂

thanks teros!

1 minute ago, Woodsk said:

if you are doing the whole package from PM, keep in mind that their forward serrations are VERY sharp. So if you rack from the front you will cut your self. 

Thanks for that

I dont mind the sharpness as I have pretty tough hands, but I could always take something to them if need be to break the edges a bit.

I'm know they are all great at machining.  That being said, I've had Primary Machine do two Shadow 2 slides, a Shadow slide, and an SP01 Tactical slide.  And I've been beyond satisfied with the work of both machining and cerakoting, and the turn around time was impressive. 

+1 for primary machine.  They milled several slides for direct mount trijicon SROs.  Very happy with their work.

Those cylinders you mentioned in your earlier post are the mounting screws.  The screws are fairly long with only the last 1/4 of the screw threaded.