Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camera while shooting comps

What cameras do you guys while shooting competitions? Im looking for something that I could mount to my ear pro, or some type of mount I could mount to my head that wont fall off. It seems like everyone rocks the gopros, any other suggestions?

I have a lightweight Midland camera, mounted to my ear muffs with jb weld, and a velcro disc. The camera was about $40 and has great video and sound. Just remember to turn it on lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GOPro mounted on a miners strap.  It goes over your hat.  I put it on when I'm the on deck shooter and take it off after the stage.  It also uses voice commands, so no need to fiddle with it while handling a gun.

9 hours ago, stick said:

GOPro mounted on a miners strap.  It goes over your hat.  I put it on when I'm the on deck shooter and take it off after the stage.  It also uses voice commands, so no need to fiddle with it while handling a gun.

I've seen a few guys take an old hat and drill a hole through the brim of the hat and said it works pretty good as well.

I just hand a friend my cell and ask them to take a video of me.

I agree that 3rd person footage is more helpful (think about footwork).

If you want a low profile first person view, here's a setup I've been using:

Hawkeye firefly q6 + Velcro + Tandy leather belt clip + hat

IMG_20181210_074515486_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Rez805

48 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Any video posted using the Hawkeye camera?  

Nolan

From this weekend

jTWRyuG2wdk

I ended up doing a PIP for it. I elected to use the sound from the 3rd person view as it sounds "better". The 3rd person camera is a Hawkeye Firefly 8s. 

Edited by Rez805

Thanks!  That camera has good audio for shooting, so many of the cameras over-clip the audio making the sound muddy..  The exposure adjustment from dark to light isn't as fast as the more expensive cameras, but the image quality is more than adequate.

I think I'll pick one up.  I've been using a Sony AZR-1 which I like, but it's not as easy to turn on and I've missed more than a couple of stages because of that.

Nolan

• 1 month later...

I haven't shot a match yet with my GoPro but I fish and bike with a cap brim mount and a stretch head mount. But my cap has a velcro strap I can make tight the cap mount works best. 

On my crotch rocket I have a chest mount but it it too shaky. When competition starts back up I will use the cap mount.

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree that 3rd person view is best for evaluation purposes. I use a GoPro Session 5 for 1st person view and just have someone record with my IPhone in 3rd person. It is usefull to have both views for comparison. You can sometimes pick up some handling issues 1st person that don't show up in 3rd. 3rd is best for entry/exit evaluation for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are having someone (esp random person) film with your cell phone, or a GoPro, your footage will be a lot better (less shaky) if you use a small handheld gimbal. I highly recommend. 

On 6/17/2020 at 5:10 PM, Rez805 said:

From this weekend

jTWRyuG2wdk

I ended up doing a PIP for it. I elected to use the sound from the 3rd person view as it sounds "better". The 3rd person camera is a Hawkeye Firefly 8s. 

Doing really good there, Rez.