Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you clean your gun

NOSHMJ

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before every match, and when it needs it between practice sessions. I would hate to have a gun issue during a match that was directly related to me not cleaning my firearm.

Edited by ccollins3006

3 hours ago, ccollins3006 said:

Before every match, and when it needs it between practice sessions. I would hate to half a gun issue during a match that was directly related to me not cleaning my firearm.

Best practice is to thoroughly clean THEN shoot a practice session or at least take it to the range and run a mag or two through it before you shoot it in a match. This way if you screwed something up on assy it doesn’t kill your match.

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Best practice is to thoroughly clean THEN shoot a practice session or at least take it to the range and run a mag or two through it before you shoot it in a match. This way if you screwed something up on assy it doesn’t kill your match.

I function fire after cleaning, hasn't been an issue before. 

1 minute ago, ccollins3006 said:

I function fire after cleaning, hasn't been an issue before. 

Hence, why I said at least run a mag through it.

I have seen guys travel to major matches and detail strip their guns in the hotel. Th y go to their first stage and gun won’t run

2 minutes ago, NOSHMJ said:

If I do that, then my OCD kicks in and I'll want to clean it again.  hahaha

I’m pretty OCD too but I always take dirty guns to matches

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Hence, why I said at least run a mag through it.

I have seen guys travel to major matches and detail strip their guns in the hotel. Th y go to their first stage and gun won’t run

People do a lot of things at major matches that I will never understand. That is one of the tamer things that I have seen as well.

I've used 50/50 vinegar and peroxide on my comps and let them soak for 24 hrs.  It helps soften lead making it easier to remove but damn, they don't come that clean!  BTW, be very careful with the vinegar/peroxide mix - it makes peracetic acid and the fumes are a severe irritant to eyes and lungs.  From the NIH:  "Peracetic acid is corrosive/irritating to the eyes, mucous membranes of the respiratory tract, and skin. It causes lacrimation (tearing of the eyes), extreme discomfort, and irritation to the upper respiratory tract in humans after exposure to concentrations as low as 15.6 mg peracetic acid/m3 (5 ppm) for only 3 min."  I put the barrel/comp (Trubor) in a tall glass with the mix and cover it with plastic wrap while it's soaking.

Edited by mvmojo

On 5/27/2020 at 2:39 PM, NOSHMJ said:

50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and peroxide.  Let it soak about an hr.  Then I just use Qtips to clean it out.  All of my comps are brand new looking.  

I also use this method on all of my comps.  I also spray Dillon case lube on my comp before and in between each stage.  I helps with the cleaning.

Regardless how many rounds I fired, every gun I used gets field stripped and the frame, slide and outside of the barrel get a thorough wipe down with an oily rag. No solvents. Ever.

If I fired more than 200 rnds through it I will use solvent inside the barrel only. Then a bronze brush, dry patches and finally an oiled patch.

Somewhere around 2000 rnds detail strip and thorough cleaning and lube.

• 3 weeks later...