How often do you clean your gun

NOSHMJ

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI 
this is my open gun after 16 mins in the ultrasonic cleaner

it leeches every bit of oil or crust thats ever been on it. 
you gotta make sure you oil it after

What can and cannot go through the ultrasonic? IV thought about using it but I was never sure what could go through it without needing a detail strip and oil afterwards or if there was anything you could damage doing that. I also shoot mainly carry optics so I wouldn’t be putting my whole slide in there anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

What can and cannot go through the ultrasonic? IV thought about using it but I was never sure what could go through it without needing a detail strip and oil afterwards or if there was anything you could damage doing that. I also shoot mainly carry optics so I wouldn’t be putting my whole slide in there anyways.

anything can go in there.  i put the entire upper of my open gun in there, slide, barrel, comp, pins.  you just have to make sure to use a degreaser that doesnt hurt metal like this https://amzn.to/2NhNuuM

As long as you have a good degreaser you could technically throw everything in there.  I know guys who take the optic off and put the entire rest of the gun into the ultrasonic cleaner including the frame.  even if you only did the  upper parts of a carry optics pistol you would basically just have to take a Q-tip and clean the rails on the lower and then re-oil them, which is like a 3 min process.

anything can go in there.  i put the entire upper of my open gun in there, slide, barrel, comp, pins.  you just have to make sure to use a degreaser that doesnt hurt metal like this https://amzn.to/2NhNuuM

As long as you have a good degreaser you could technically throw everything in there.  I know guys who take the optic off and put the entire rest of the gun into the ultrasonic cleaner including the frame.  even if you only did the  upper parts of a carry optics pistol you would basically just have to take a Q-tip and clean the rails on the lower and then re-oil them, which is like a 3 min process.

Thanks AverageJoe,
I might try it with my S2 lower actually. There’s always a lot of carbon that gets stuck in the trigger assembly and that sounds easier than taking that assembly apart to clean it. I usually just try and flush all the crap out with cleaner lol

52 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Thanks AverageJoe,
I might try it with my S2 lower actually. There’s always a lot of carbon that gets stuck in the trigger assembly and that sounds easier than taking that assembly apart to clean it. I usually just try and flush all the crap out with cleaner lol

FYI

https://amzn.to/2AYkplv

Great ultrasonic cleaner for the money.  Does everything you need it to and is less than 100$

4 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

Never used an ultrasonic but going to give it a go. Anything besides optic you don’t put in it?

I dont do the frame, but thats because I shoot open and I can remove the slide,barrel,comp,and pins without taking the optic or the optic mount off.

I usually just take some hoppes #9 bore solvent on an old wire toothbrush and scrub the rails on the lower, dry it out, and then re-oil the lower rails. 

But i mean I could 100% put the frame in the ultrasonic cleaner, its just faster for me and less work if I don't.

If you had metal frames and really aggressive grips, after a few years they get dingy cuz of all the skin and DNA they are taking from you. At that point you could pop it into an ultrasonic and it would be like new. But I mean that would be several years into owning it. 

So in answer to your question basically anything you can fit in there thats not electronic you can stick in

Usually around 1-1.5k I’ll clean my gun or if the slide starts to get sluggish, that usually only happens if I’m shooting or practicing in dusty conditions. What I’ve found really speeds up the cleaning process is to spray the entire gun down with breakthrough clean solvent and scrub areas that are needed and use an air compressor or compressed air to blow out and dry the solvent up. It works really well, than a bore snake and I’m done cleaning just need to lube it up. It’s cut my cleaning time in half.

Wow, this thread will keep me from ever shooting open. My production guns get cleaned every 3 -5 years, with maybe 1 lube job during that time. It’s usually at about the 5,000 round count or so. I’ll slap an optic on the slide and shoot carry optics if I want to shoot a dot. I could never go back to cleaning Guns regularly.

3 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Wow, this thread will keep me from ever shooting open. My production guns get cleaned every 3 -5 years, with maybe 1 lube job during that time. It’s usually at about the 5,000 round count or so. I’ll slap an optic on the slide and shoot carry optics if I want to shoot a dot. I could never go back to cleaning Guns regularly.

some open guns are very picky though and will just run like s#!t dirty

On 6/23/2020 at 5:20 AM, Cuz said:

cWow, this thread will keep me from ever shooting open. My production guns get cleaned every 3 -5 years, with maybe 1 lube job during that time. It’s usually at about the 5,000 round count or so. I’ll slap an optic on the slide and shoot carry optics if I want to shoot a dot. I could never go back to cleaning Guns regularly.

I only "clean" every 800-1200 rounds. And that is just wiping down with a shop rag. I lube the gun between that at my convenience and its usually only once around the 500 round mark. If youre only shooting 3,000 Rounds every 3 years we are not playing the same game 🤣

On 6/21/2020 at 5:03 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

Couple of questions on the ultrasonic cleaning.

1. What mix do you use on the Simple Green?

2. What temp do you set your ultrasonic at?

3. How long do you run the ultrasonic? Two 8 minute cycles?

1 hour ago, ahfox32 said:

Couple of questions on the ultrasonic cleaning.

1. What mix do you use on the Simple Green?

2. What temp do you set your ultrasonic at?

3. How long do you run the ultrasonic? Two 8 minute cycles?

1. I use the strong mix, so one cup simple green and 3 cups water. Sometimes ill add an additional cup if theres not enough liquid to cover all the parts, but this is almost never the case if I'm only doing my race gun parts.

2.on my cleaner theres only the option to either use the heat for the water or not. I always turn the heat on and I use lukewarm water from the tap. If you do have the option to set the temp you would want to go with a middle of the road temp that is more toward heat. You wouldn't want the water scalding hot, but also not bone cold. Lukewarm is a good indicator of the correct temp.

3. I run it for two 8 min cycles. Then take the parts out and lay them on a towel with a towel over top. Let them dry for a few mins then just pick them up and re-oil them

I surprise to see how many rounds some of you'll go before cleaning. I'm sure most gun will handle not cleaning as often, but its just a mental thing for me to know that gun is clean and there's no reason for it to not run..