Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170 MBX Magazine (Salt Shaker)

ilovevtac

Hey guys, 

Been using this new 170mm for about 5 matches now and haven't had a single issue until today. The match I shot was really dusty and turned the magazine into a salt shaker.

I went home and thoroughly cleaned the mag, spring and follower but it's still having the issue. I can't load the full 29 without the follower/spring binding.

Any ideas on what will remedy it?

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, ilovevtac said:

Hey guys, 

Been using this new 170mm for about 5 matches now and haven't had a single issue until today. The match I shot was really dusty and turned the magazine into a salt shaker.

I went home and thoroughly cleaned the mag, spring and follower but it's still having the issue. I can't load the full 29 without the follower/spring binding.

Any ideas on what will remedy it?

Thanks!

Call MBX? Sounds like the follower is tilting or flipping

Probably springs/followers, they should last much longer than 5 matches, could just need to be stretched & follower tipped, but using Mag Slick after cleaning works well.

gerrit

Fine print down at the bottom of the page

https://www.mbxextreme.com

I cannot load my MBX 141.25s to more than 21 (they say 23-24) without trouble.  I have tried, but two or three times I have picked up the discarded magazine and noticed a rattle from a round UNDER the follower.  And once I had a total "salt shaker" with the follower stuck sideways.

Are you having rounds get under the follower or just binding and preventing spring tension on the upper round?

Supposedly if you use a rod and bottom out the ammo in the mag out every 5 rounds or so during loading, it helps them arrange a bit more organized (MBX's video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VUOVSBUlY). Probably combination of geometry and friction.

1 hour ago, Benevolence said:

Are you having rounds get under the follower or just binding and preventing spring tension on the upper round?

Supposedly if you use a rod and bottom out the ammo in the mag out every 5 rounds or so during loading, it helps them arrange a bit more organized (MBX's video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VUOVSBUlY). Probably combination of geometry and friction.

The magazines are new and I'm pretty sure the springs are supposed to last a lot longer than 5 matches haha.

No rounds are getting under the follower. I have their updated follower but I believe it's the follower binding.

In regards to contacting them, I have tried calling but no luck. I sent an email as well but currently waiting for their reply.

Thanks!

Absolutely. The springs should last 4-6 months with heavy use. But you never know. Might have gotten a weak one. If you have ever tested springs they vary quite a bit from their claimed poundage. So it's the first thing I would try and then move on from there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have run MBX mags for years with no problems.  I also follow their conditioning procedures.  Most of the people experiencing problems are using Gen 2 9mm mags.  There are a couple of things to watch out for.  The firstis you actually got the correct follower in your mag.  Several shooters have reported problems and it was discovered they had Gen 1 followers in the Gen 2 mags.  That will not work.  If you have Gen 2 mags you can only use the Gen2 followers or the Universal followers.

Second:  The Gen 2 followers sit, as the come from the factory, at a steep angle.  You should bend the spring so the follower sits at a shallower angle.  Just don't go too far or you will get rubbing.

Third:  condition you mags by leaving them fully loaded for at least a week.  If you cannot fully load them, put in as many as you can.  As the spring takes a set you will be able to get the last round in.  I leave mine fully loaded for two weeks before first use.

Fourth:  load using a MagLula or something similar.  Load about half fully, then push the loader down into the mag 4-6 times without inserting a round.  This helps the rounds in the mag stack better.  I do this twice when loading my 170s.  To give and example.  After thorough conditioning and a season of use I canhand load 29 rounds, but the last round is a bear to get in.  If I follow the procedure I outlined above, I can get 29 in reloadable.  If I stack three times throughout the loading process, I can get 30 in, but not reloadable.

Fourth:  salt shaker:  When loading, push each round firmly to the rear.  If you get a salt shaker after you put the last round in, remove the top round and hit the back of the mag against your hand until you hear a dull thud.  All of the rounds are nor fully rearward and you can put the last round in.

Fifth:  round under the follower.  If you have not adjusted the follower as above and drop a mag with many rounds left in it, there is a good chance one of the rounds will slip under the follower.  I run one MBX 170 and two 155s on my belt.  I also have three STI Gen2 mags with TTI guts.  I usually load them with 10-12 rounds for classifiers with mandatory mag changes.  I also use them any time I have to drop in dust, mud or water, and when a stage plan involves a big stick and a couple of extra rounds.

5 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

I have 19 MBX mags. All use MBX guts. I shoot 9 major out of them. Never modify anything. Gen 1 or gen 2. 

I have ten MBX mags. 4 Gen 1, 6 Gen 2. I've never tuned a single one for 9mm major. I've had to send exactly one 140mm mag tube back to Adrian for retuning after 4 years of abuse (I think I might have stepped on it ran it over with my ATV, at that).

Keep in mind that MBX has limited personnel, and this pandemix is effecting their ability to bring their employees in.

zzt has some good advice, however I never condition my mags. I open em, run em maybe with a round or two less than full for a while, then rock and roll. The key part I would listen to is the:

"Fourth:  load using a MagLula or something similar.  Load about half fully, then push the loader down into the mag 4-6 times without inserting a round.  This helps the rounds in the mag stack better.  I do this twice when loading my 170s.  To give and example.  After thorough conditioning and a season of use I canhand load 29 rounds, but the last round is a bear to get in.  If I follow the procedure I outlined above, I can get 29 in reloadable.  If I stack three times throughout the loading process, I can get 30 in, but not reloadable.

Fourth:  salt shaker:  When loading, push each round firmly to the rear.  If you get a salt shaker after you put the last round in, remove the top round and hit the back of the mag against your hand until you hear a dull thud.  All of the rounds are nor fully rearward and you can put the last round in."

3 hours ago, SSGJohnV said:

I open em, run em maybe with a round or two less than full for a while, then rock and roll.

That's fine as long as you do not let the mag run dry.  Until the spring takes a set, the follower is pushed too high up in the mag and damage can ensue.