Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun dummy shell choice

I recently got into 3 gun and picked up a stoeger m3k. With the lack of matches I figured it is a perfect time to practice quad loading, and picked up some dummy shells off Amazon. However the shells leave much to be desired in fit and finish as the brass on them is larger and poorly formed when compared to live round. This is causing hang ups, slowing progress. Rather then playing a guessing game and randomly ordering other practice shells, I figured someone might have a good suggestion.

What shells do you use to practice? 

I have nice ones from Brownells but I don't see them listed anymore. Did a little snooping and a company called Traditions sells something that looks similar. 

kpc_1351.jpg

Edited by Frankly

I always made my own, when I was cowboy-ing.  Getting into this, I'm  gonna make up some more. 

I've got an old MEC Jr to load them on.  Deprime and size as normal, but I use the eraser off a #2 pencil for a "primer," (aka firing pin catcher.) Use sand for powder, (just run it through the measure, assuming it's dry.)  Then power piston and shot as normal. A drop from a hot glue gun to seal the crimp, and it's done. 

Thanks for the input. Making your own would be the best, but i dont know anyone who loads shotgun shells anymore. Its not economical anymore. Looks like i will find out how the Fiocchi dummies do.

Very true. I don't load anything beyond dummies, myself.  Can't load shells for what the box stores still them for. 

Though it might be worthwhile looking into an old used MEC, (I've seen 'em for $25,) as dummies can get beat up, after enough times through the port. 

• 1 month later...

I also made my own. I made friends with a a guy at the field clays range , and asked him if he'd make up a dozen dummy shells for me and he was kind enough to do so (gave him a six pack in thanks). I used some pink shotgun empties I had (can't recall the brand), and he used shot and sand to match the factory weight.  I then sealed each crimp end with hot glue to keep it securely closed, and wrote "dummy" in black permanent marker on each casing. The bright pink color is enough to ID them as inert, as I have no live ammo in that color, but  writing on each is just an extra safety step.

https://dummybullet.com/12 gauge.html

I bought a set that was slightly longer than my normal load so I emailed dummybullet and asked for a specific size and told him the load I use.  Bruce made a set for me with exactly the color I wanted with the size exactly matching to my regular shotgun load.

Normally I wouldn't worry too much about the size ... but I needed them to exactly match my shell carriers so that I didn't have to adjust the carrier for practice.

• 5 months later...
On 5/6/2020 at 12:32 AM, Pluder said:

I recently got into 3 gun and picked up a stoeger m3k. With the lack of matches I figured it is a perfect time to practice quad loading, and picked up some dummy shells off Amazon. However the shells leave much to be desired in fit and finish as the brass on them is larger and poorly formed when compared to live round. This is causing hang ups, slowing progress. Rather then playing a guessing game and randomly ordering other practice shells, I figured someone might have a good suggestion.

What shells do you use to practice? 

Did you ever find dummies?

I just reseated a used primer and used clean kitty litter for powder.  Shells were to cheap to load after I did my first batch.  We loaded 400 shells the day I bought the press.  I bought it from a club when they upgraded to a progressive.  I got the press, a bag of wads, a bag of shot, powder, and primers with it.  I got a great deal but lead went from $17.00 for 25 pounds to $25.00 a bag.  Now shot is at $45-50.  Winchester bulk is cheaper than loading.  I save hulls still, you never know when a deal on shot will show up.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...