Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion accuracy

Cavy

13 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I'm truly glad that the MAX is going in for a Bar-Sto Match Grade/Gunsmith Fit barrel next month. 

Don't get your hopes up.  I had Barsto custom fit a barrel to mine and it made very little difference.   I would say that it was a waste of a lot of money for me and would not do it again.

My understanding is that the accuracy issues are less about the barrel and more about the slide.

Edited by LMS

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LMS said:

Don't get your hopes up.  I had Barsto custom fit a barrel to mine and it made very little difference.   I would say that it was a waste of a lot of money for me and would not do it again.

My understanding is that the accuracy issues are less about the barrel and more about the slide.

I also had 2 barsto barrels fit on my first 2 legions. If anything, it was worse with coated bullets. The chambers are also much tighter and pickier on ammo. 

Since I've got the Bar-Sto barrel, I'm going to go ahead and take Robert Burke at his word since we had this early on email: 

the newest P320’s won’t do sub 2” out of the box. From a perfect rest or a seasoned offhand shooter I would say 2.5 to 3.25 is more like it.  

We can do a Bar STo fitted barrel....... You should expect sub 2” with the right shooter and right ammo. 

After a productive phone conversation, I feel it's worth the investment. 

I honestly feel it couldn't get any worse than the results I'm getting with the stock barrel..............

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

40 minutes ago, ddc said:

What distance is he referring to? 25 yards?

IIRC, we were discussing that distance.  He did confide in me that he was doing Max’s competition pistols.  

Bottom line, he knows what I expect and I really think he’ll deliver since he offers several “levels” of accuracy.

🖕

42 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

IIRC, we were discussing that distance.  He did confide in me that he was doing Max’s competition pistols.  

Bottom line, he knows what I expect and I really think he’ll deliver since he offers several “levels” of accuracy.

🖕

Very interested in hearing how it works out. When do you expect to get it back?

12 minutes ago, ddc said:

Very interested in hearing how it works out. When do you expect to get it back?

My plan is to send it first week of May and get it back by end of month; if needed……

Ill be out of pocket the entire month of May ……

On 4/24/2022 at 2:41 AM, jim vaughan said:

Have you slugged the barrel to find what size bullets are required?

Jim:

I have not...........however, it seems I have developed a load the stock barrel actually likes!

1379818354_BenchRestRd2.thumb.png.d830f6dffc6fde8537644c39df0f4d12.png

7 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

Fwiw the new KKM barrels claim a 3/4” group at 50 yards using Atlanta arms 115 grn. The lockup is much tighter than factory barrel and dropped in on my legion. 

@fireman1776This is all I see under the description on their website:

Our P320X5 barrels are drop-in fit for the majority of first generation and Legion models. If fitting is required then most of the time the hood length will have to be fit to your slide by a gunsmith.

I'm curious as to how/where you obtained the information in your post?

Thanks!

👍

2 minutes ago, fireman1776 said:

In an email from KKM after I inquired about their barrels. 

I’m pretty sure that’s shot out of a fixture. I’d be surprised if it does better than 2” at 25 yards, unless it’s oversized, and has to be fitted 

On 4/29/2022 at 9:35 PM, fireman1776 said:

Fwiw the new KKM barrels claim a 3/4” group at 50 yards using Atlanta arms 115 grn. The lockup is much tighter than factory barrel and dropped in on my legion. 

Please post your personal accuracy results when you get a chance.  Thank you in advance. 

Would these accuracy issues prevent y'all from recommending the X-5 Legion as a production/CO gun for a newbie? I've got a CZ Shadow 2 and G19.4 I was looking at trading in/selling and get seriously into CO/production and was looking for the best value/future-proof platform. I was debating between Canik Rival and the X5 Legion, with the X5 being the favorite but this thread is news to me. 

56 minutes ago, Lingering said:

Would these accuracy issues prevent y'all from recommending the X-5 Legion as a production/CO gun for a newbie? I've got a CZ Shadow 2 and G19.4 I was looking at trading in/selling and get seriously into CO/production and was looking for the best value/future-proof platform. I was debating between Canik Rival and the X5 Legion, with the X5 being the favorite but this thread is news to me. 

I sold my X5 and got a Canik.  It was a much better gun than the Legion.  For full disclosure, I did buy an AXG Sig P320 and love it. 

6 hours ago, Lingering said:

Plenty of people do well with the P320's, so I wouldn't say that it's going to hold anyone back, especially if you are fairly new.    That said, I have a Shadow 2 that I'll be transitioning to in the near future and find myself wondering why you aren't considering just getting that milled for CO instead of selling it and changing platforms.  I could be wrong, but a think a lot of people would agree that between the two it's the higher quality option...and you already have it.

2 hours ago, fbzero said:

Plenty of people do well with the P320's, so I wouldn't say that it's going to hold anyone back, especially if you are fairly new.    That said, I have a Shadow 2 that I'll be transitioning to in the near future and find myself wondering why you aren't considering just getting that milled for CO instead of selling it and changing platforms.  I could be wrong, but a think a lot of people would agree that between the two it's the higher quality option...and you already have it.

Agreed.

4 hours ago, fbzero said:

Total cost I think would technically be more to stick with the CZ. Milling at CGW is $160/$415, not including shipping, etc. From browsing the classifieds I feel like I could probably get ~$1,000 for it? X-5s are running $900-1000 locally, so I'm already saving nearly $200 to put towards an optic. 

I also feel like Sig is a more future-proof platform, with its FCU design, and I think a better optic mounting solution vs direct milling. I've also heard people are moving away from full 5" guns to 4-4.5" slides in CO due to the better balance. Shadow 2 is incredibly front-heavy. 

I know it really doesn't matter and the answer is just to get good, so I may end up changing my mind. I also asked The HumbleMarksman and he gave the same advice. Highest-ranked shooter whose brain I've been able to pick about it. I appreciate y'alls thoughts. 

49 minutes ago, Lingering said:

Total cost I think would technically be more to stick with the CZ. Milling at CGW is $160/$415, not including shipping, etc. From browsing the classifieds I feel like I could probably get ~$1,000 for it? X-5s are running $900-1000 locally, so I'm already saving nearly $200 to put towards an optic. 

I also feel like Sig is a more future-proof platform, with its FCU design, and I think a better optic mounting solution vs direct milling. I've also heard people are moving away from full 5" guns to 4-4.5" slides in CO due to the better balance. Shadow 2 is incredibly front-heavy. 

I know it really doesn't matter and the answer is just to get good, so I may end up changing my mind. I also asked The HumbleMarksman and he gave the same advice. Highest-ranked shooter whose brain I've been able to pick about it. I appreciate y'alls thoughts. 

CO has been won every year except the last by a polymer gun.  Limited and production are still won by polymer guns fairly frequently. For 99% of people, your shooting ability is holding you back, not the gun.

All else equal, you're looking at only a percent or two difference in what a platform can do for your standings.

The biggest factor for me is the amount of time and stress I save from shooting a striker-fired gun.  I can shoot whatever ammo, I barely have to clean it. I don't really have to replace parts if I don't want to.  I haven't had that much time to dedicate to shooting in the last few years, so this was a priority for me over absolute peak performance out of the gun.

After shooting an S2 Orange in Production, I have to say that so far I'm having a ball shooting the P320 MAX in CO.  Haven't really got super serious into competition mode, but the Sig is a lot of fun to shoot.  And a solid challenge as this is a totally new platform for me!

Being a striker fired platform, it is definitely easier to prepare for and shoot in CO; plus you don't have to deal with the d#*m 10 round restriction limit on magazines.

IMO, this says a lot about the two divisions:

https://www.facebook.com/theuspsa/posts/survey-results-of-the-equipment-used-at-2020-uspsa-national-events-has-been-publ/3956241921054629/

https://s3.uspsa.io/media/Survey_Results.pdf

:)👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

12 hours ago, Lingering said:

I hear you.  I don't think there are any bad choices on the table, was just more perplexed about switching platforms when you already have and are familiar with one.  Seemed like it might make more sense to sell the G19.4 and use the money to mill and get an optic for the Shadow 2.

I do value TheHumbleMarksman's opinion and he has some good videos on exactly what we are discussing, which I'm sure you are already aware of.  I think in his AXG Pro video he actually said he'd choose that over a Legion due to the shorter slide/better balance.  One thing I will say; We're all lucky to have so many solid choices!