9mm Major Brass Life

jschroep

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello: I could never get 27 reloads out of any of my 9mm reloads. First thing that happens for me is loose primer pockets and then split cases. As a test years ago the most I ever got out of the cases was 12 reloads and by then the headstamp was gone. Thanks, Eric

28 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

That load blows 100% of the primers in both my CK and Glock open pistols

It shouldn’t. I load 7.2 with 124’s, 7.4 with 121’s and 8.0 with 115’s with barely any sign of flattening, let alone blowing primers

I have wanted to try those but I put the bearing kit in my 650 a long time ago. It allows me to tighten the shell plate down much tighter so there is zero snap.

Sarge, are you talking about the indexer that has a bearing on it or something? If you’re talking about the indexer, which one did you get? I got a cheap one off of eBay that broke when a primer got jammed so I’m back to the regular Dillon one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

That load blows 100% of the primers in both my CK and Glock open pistols

no psi problems . I use regular small pistol primers' nave miked the cases for expansion at the base.

actually have went higher 7.8 before any psi issues started . length is 1.65 -1.70 .

power factor is 168-172

8 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Sarge, are you talking about the indexer that has a bearing on it or something? If you’re talking about the indexer, which one did you get? I got a cheap one off of eBay that broke when a primer got jammed so I’m back to the regular Dillon one.

https://www.amazon.com/Hit-Factor-Shooting-Supply-LLC/dp/B00HKKTN3I

You can get the kit in other places. If you dig deep enough on here you can find part numbers to order from McMaster Carr which is what I did.

If you can just find the bearing and one washer that’s all you need

To OP: 115 vs 124 is something you will have to sort out yourself with a timer. Pay attention to the results and not just the "feel". 115s feel flatter in my gun, but I find it a bit easier to shoot 124s (more predictable dot movement) and don't really give up any speed on the timer.

Also, Open guns have a ton of variation (in barrel length, barrel speed, port configuration) so you may get a completely different result than somebody else. In this thread we've got someone saying a load blows primers, and somebody saying that same load isn't even pushing it in terms of pressure- both are likely right about the guns they are shooting. Neither of them posted OAL which can make a massive difference in pressure. I remember somewhere in the Speer reloading manual it mentions that with a certain load they found a few hundredths of OAL made an astronomical difference in pressure and safety.

Somebody posted a 115 gr load with HS6 saying it is well below the case mouth, but my 115 gr HS6 load takes a full grain more powder than the load they posted and is precariously close to the top. I'd imagine those of us with spicier setups get less brass life, too, but I buy 1x fired and leave it so I don't really know. As far as 115s having more gas to work the comp, for a given powder more powder makes more gas, but my 124 load takes more HS6 than a couple of the 115 gr loads people posted in this thread. 

Just wanted to point out that Open probably has the most variation out of all of the divisions as far as guns and loads go, so you have to process the answers and replies you are receiving with that context.

21 minutes ago, MikeRush said:

To OP: 115 vs 124 is something you will have to sort out yourself with a timer. Pay attention to the results and not just the "feel". 115s feel flatter in my gun, but I find it a bit easier to shoot 124s (more predictable dot movement) and don't really give up any speed on the timer.

Also, Open guns have a ton of variation (in barrel length, barrel speed, port configuration) so you may get a completely different result than somebody else. In this thread we've got someone saying a load blows primers, and somebody saying that same load isn't even pushing it in terms of pressure- both are likely right about the guns they are shooting. Neither of them posted OAL which can make a massive difference in pressure. I remember somewhere in the Speer reloading manual it mentions that with a certain load they found a few hundredths of OAL made an astronomical difference in pressure and safety.

Somebody posted a 115 gr load with HS6 saying it is well below the case mouth, but my 115 gr HS6 load takes a full grain more powder than the load they posted and is precariously close to the top. I'd imagine those of us with spicier setups get less brass life, too, but I buy 1x fired and leave it so I don't really know. As far as 115s having more gas to work the comp, for a given powder more powder makes more gas, but my 124 load takes more HS6 than a couple of the 115 gr loads people posted in this thread. 

Just wanted to point out that Open probably has the most variation out of all of the divisions as far as guns and loads go, so you have to process the answers and replies you are receiving with that context.

Hear hear!!!  I fully agree with Mike's statements.  No two guns are exactly the same and so pressures and loads will have to be adjusted based on the gun.  I read a thread on here from a guy who actually has a load he likes and then builds his gun to fit the load.  Chicken egg, egg chicken...it all comes down to trial and error until you find what feels and performs right for you.  The opinions on here are generally great starting points of reference not facts for everyone!

You can get the kit in other places. If you dig deep enough on here you can find part numbers to order from McMaster Carr which is what I did.

Interesting, I didn’t know something like this existed, thanks

50 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Interesting, I didn’t know something like this existed, thanks

Did a half an hour search for you and found this. Everything you need to know is here.

22 hours ago, Sarge said:

I did the same and just ordered a bearing and washer from Amazon.  It was about $6.

Here's the dimensions for the bearing.

61AjL22T6cL._SL1100_.thumb.jpg.817e6ba0dba1f07b5230996f5bef5f51.jpg

I picked up brass from my last match and noticed some primers had the primer indentation with square ends. This isnt my brass but normally, major PF 9mm shouldnt do this right? Do the small rifle primers mushroom out like that or no?

0322201432c.jpg

I've been shooting 9 major for seven years now and here's my process:

- pick up brass at matches or range

- dry tumble for 30-45 min

- spray with case lube

- load on 650 (I keep a manual primer pocket reamer on the bench next to the prime station)

- dry tumble another 30-45 min

- chamber check each round in the barrel I plan to use in the match

- place rounds bullet down in 100 round MTM case

- run my finger over each head stamp to check for high/missing primers and stepped cases (I use stepped cases and rounds which don't drop out of the chamber in practice)

With this process I don't have to inspect cases before loading and cracked cases won't pass the chamber check.

13 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Is the concern with stepped cases overpressure -> gun damage or just the case splitting in half leaving the end in the chamber? 

I've had two stepped case failures, the case separates at the step and the end stays in the chamber, pulling a bite snake through pulls it right out, but it's typically a stage ender.

I've heard from other it happens just as often with minor as major, do I don't think it's a matter of pressure, just a poor design.