Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Brass Life

jschroep

6 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

Probably 3 firings if it's not brand new ®Starline Brass. That striker fired primer hit is perfectly normal. 

Did you read thread from the beginning ?    NO YOU DID NOT.

Loads were fired in a 2011 style gun.          NOT A GLOCK.

Brass was a mixture or head stamps.         NOT STARLINE.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pick up and reuse my weekly brass from 500 rounds of live fire. For matches I use once used nickel brass. Inspection is important to me for all the cases I reuse. No issues yet. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 7:20 PM, kneelingatlas said:

I've had two stepped case failures, the case separates at the step and the end stays in the chamber, pulling a bite snake through pulls it right out, but it's typically a stage ender.

I've heard from other it happens just as often with minor as major, do I don't think it's a matter of pressure, just a poor design.

Anywhere there is a square cornered shoulder (or step in the case) its a stress riser and if a failure is eminent it’s likely to start at a stress riser. If they would have put a small rounded fillet in the step that would have eliminated the stress riser. It’s obvious to me that whoever designed the stepped case wasn’t an engineer with proper education.

I never counted how many times I could reload major brass. When I first started shooting 9 major, I had all kinds of plans about keeping track of that, but shooting as much as I was, that proved to be too much work. Now I buy brass from a quality seller. I pay around $20 per thousand, I inspect them for stepped cases, Russian headstamps, 380 or Makarov cases, wash and load them. I consider every match a "lost brass" match and don't pick up spent brass, even during practice. At $20 per K, it's not even worth bending over to pick them up.

I never counted how many times I could reload major brass. When I first started shooting 9 major, I had all kinds of plans about keeping track of that, but shooting as much as I was, that proved to be too much work. Now I buy brass from a quality seller. I pay around $20 per thousand, I inspect them for stepped cases, Russian headstamps, 380 or Makarov cases, wash and load them. I consider every match a "lost brass" match and don't pick up spent brass, even during practice. At $20 per K, it's not even worth bending over to pick them up.

Who’s your dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk