Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 SW fired brass

a2holes

On 3/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, RePete said:

IVI has some crimped brass (made in Canada) and it's the only brand I have seen.  It doesn't bother me because I load on a 1050.

Federal NT brass is crimped. I picked up a bunch but process on a 1050 & Ammobot so it isn't bad.

OP, where are you located?

IVI in 40?  Can’t recall seeing that.

WVA 40.  Hell yes I’ve dealt with that.  Picked some up today (our range gets rented to LEO agencies).  Past pickups I’ve cleaned the primer pockets with a tool and swaged with the tool that’s sold for the 650 (it was given to me).  Still had issues priming some of the cases.  I shot the ones that loaded ok at L1’s.

getting a mark7 evo so l’ll be ok with dealing with wva cases once I’ve got it.

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

IVI in 40?  Can’t recall seeing that.

WVA 40.  Hell yes I’ve dealt with that.  Picked some up today (our range gets rented to LEO agencies).  Past pickups I’ve cleaned the primer pockets with a tool and swaged with the tool that’s sold for the 650 (it was given to me).  Still had issues priming some of the cases.  I shot the ones that loaded ok at L1’s.

getting a mark7 evo so l’ll be ok with dealing with wva cases once I’ve got it.

WVA or WMA?

Can't find WVA on ATFE's web site.

2 hours ago, RePete said:

WVA or WMA?

Can't find WVA on ATFE's web site.

Sorry WMA, WVA is stuck in my head as it's a German brake lining code prefix.  That's the biz I'm in.

I have no experience with 9mm like I do with the WMA 40.  Its a real PIA!

Nothing to sorry about.  I'm a retired auto and heavy equipment mechanic.

Running a 1050 a crimped primer pocket is usually not a problem.  My biggest problem is with Federal 9mm NT brass, the primer sticks to the Lyman decap pin, and sucks back into the pocket, then the swager crushes the spent primer.  Sometimes I can run the brass though again and it becomes usable.  Not always.

Getting slightly off topic but I have issues with Sumbro 9mm.  It's just plain garbage, doesn't decap well, doesn't size well ( I use a mark 7 on a 650 to process) and when I didn't know better early on and reloaded it -it wouldn't gauge either.  

20 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Getting slightly off topic but I have issues with Sumbro 9mm.  It's just plain garbage, doesn't decap well, doesn't size well ( I use a mark 7 on a 650 to process) and when I didn't know better early on and reloaded it -it wouldn't gauge either.  

Start a thread on this in the 9/38 forum!

To get back on topic I've found that a lot of the open shooters (up here anyway) usually started in limited then went to open.  So they've got a stash of 40 that they no longer use.  I had some 38SC that I exchanged 2:1 for 40 from an open shooter recently

Maybe ask the open shooters, they probably have bins of 40 stashed "just in case".  In reality make them an offer and they will take the cash to buy more 38SC.

Edited by MikeyScuba

On 3/19/2020 at 10:36 PM, ph4t0ny said:

https://iabrass.com has all you want in stock.

Northwest Iowa Brass, you can find them on ammoseek.

+1 for them.

Also have bought in recent years from elitereloading.com.  Elite's prices can be higher than other, but I've been pleased with the consistently low % of crimped, crap, or other cals in their mixes. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...