Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG 124 JHP and Sig X5 Legion

3gunnah

I just picked up a new Sig X5 Legion. Looking at my standard load, That I have been loading in 9 MM forever MG 124 JHP 4.0 grains of titegroup at 1.095. Testing with my dummy rounds indicates that this could be too long for the SIG. Does anyone here have experience with Montana gold jacketed hollow points and the X5 Legion for overall length. I'm really hoping I can use this bullet as I have several thousand on hand. Thanks

I'm definitely getting contact and causing pressure spikes I blacked a couple bullets after going all the way down to 1.065. A load that is working every other nine millimeter I have including running flawless in my MPX. Is showing pressure signs in the X5. 

IMG-7773.jpg

That’s insanely short. Call SIG and tell them what is going on, and that your chamber measures much shorter than several other X5s owned by friends. If you find the right customer service representative they’ll hopefully rebarrel the gun or cut the chamber longer.

I can cut the chamber, and there are several companies out there that can do so... but you shouldn’t have to.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 month later...

Are you doing a "Plunk" test?  prior to loading your ammo?  First you load 1 or 2 bullets, check for OAL, then do a plunk test.  Also, check with the powder company to see what is their loading data.  However, it's not always accurate... The best way to check is by doing a "plunk" test.  But quite honestly, your loads are way, way too short!  I load mine at 1.120 

I'll pipe in with another X-5 legion barrel that is chambered generously.  I generally load for it at 1.135, but it will plunk out to about 1.16 or so. ( using fp 147 polycoated from SnS)

Most accurate load so far is plated .357 TC 125 grn. 

• 4 months later...

In this instance Sig would most likely just send you another barrel.  They might want the barrel in question to inspect.

I could load to the max OAL of 1.169 (I believe that is the max for 9 mm) in regards to my X5 barrels.  My typical load OAL is 1.125 when using MG JHP 124 gr bullets.  

Edited by Boomstick303

3 hours ago, DryHeat said:

My loads with my friends Sig X5 with the stock unmodified barrel with that exact bullet requires a COAL of less than 1.070. I set at 1.065 to make up for the +%- in the seating operation.

That seems short. My X5's (pre-Legion) loading a RMR 124 JHP could go out to 1.135. I stopped there as I had no intention of getting close to that in real life.

A little bit apples to oranges given the bullets are not exactly the same I realize.