Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other 38sc powders

AverageJoeShooting

Just now, AverageJoeShooting said:

Heres the data from 9.1 

Heres the data from 9.7

I think the higher velocities made the comp function better, but there was a good amount of dot movement 

You need a min fps of 1320 with a 125 grn bullet to make major

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7.4 of 350 behind 124 mgcmj

i originally played around with autocomp, works but did not like as much 

IMO you find most vv powders burn clean.  

there is a Brazos article about testing powder burn and comps, go to his website and look through the articles section

I use AA#7 for my 38 SC.  I am shooting 115 gr bullets with 12.0 grains of AA#7 on an Akai V8.  The bullets are traveling at 1500fps but the dot movement is minimal. It is a little violent on the hand but the gun returns back so quick that you will be ready to shoot your second shot. 

9 hours ago, ar15rick said:

I use AA#7 for my 38 SC.  I am shooting 115 gr bullets with 12.0 grains of AA#7 on an Akai V8.  The bullets are traveling at 1500fps but the dot movement is minimal. It is a little violent on the hand but the gun returns back so quick that you will be ready to shoot your second shot. 

holy s#!t 1500 fps is screaming fast!

how fast do you burn through parts??

1 minute ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

My two CHEELY 9MAJOR Guns have spit MG 115 JHP’s at 1500fps for years with no ill effects

6 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

You can't safely push a 38s or comp round that fast with the same fast burning propellants used for 9mm. You have to use a much slower higher volume propellant to be within safe SAAMI pressures. 

You do realize this the "Open pistols" sub forum..... 

"Within SAAMI pressures" went out the window a long time ago. 

No issues at all. I change my recoil spring every 6 months or so and that's about it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No issues at all. I change my recoil spring every 6 months or so and that's about it.

You can check out the recoil and splits using this combination.

What's the advantage of 115 vs 125 bullets? I've been using 125 but after seeing how flat those 115s are I might switch 
So it's all about preference. I like it snappier becasue I feel the gun gets back on target faster. Atleast for me. Some people like it softer in the hand and that's when 124s or 125s are better. Really it's all about preference and what gun you are using. With mine have 8 popple holes plus a comp it helps with using more powder and lighter bullets. Again that is for me. I have played around with different loads and bullets and I always go back to the 115gr bullets. I use AA#7 with 12.0 grains. Or if using HS6 I use 9.8 grains. AA#7 feels better for me and my gun.

Which comp is that? 
Akai Gil Comp. Shay makes those for his guns. Well his older V8 guns. Now the comps he is making are a little different but work in a similar way.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:57 AM, Ssanders224 said:

You do realize this the "Open pistols" sub forum..... 

"Within SAAMI pressures" went out the window a long time ago. 

Well yeah if you enjoy having brass frag and hot propellant gases blown in your face and through your hand....then go for it!

Talking about running ammo beyond safe pressure limits is just down right irresponsible and negligent.

20 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

Well yeah if you enjoy having brass frag and hot propellant gases blown in your face and through your hand....then go for it!

Talking about running ammo beyond safe pressure limits is just down right irresponsible and negligent.

Then you should never venture into Open division LOL. Even 38super is fairly mundane off the shelf and is loaded way hotter for Open. We don't talk about it. We do it!

1 hour ago, Glockster1 said:

You forgot to add:

"And stay off my lawn!"

I remember when we were shooting 115gr bullets at old major. 1550+FPS. I had loads for my P9 in 9x21

That was back in the day when rifle primers only were used for major and after a couple loading in your brass you had to glue the primers in...