Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other 38sc powders

AverageJoeShooting

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using 3n38 and it works...I was just wondering what other slow burning powders people use. The dot movement seems to be a lot with 3n38. 
Hs6 is very popular and recently saw posts about Shooters World for major

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

The dot movement seems to be a lot with 3n38. 

A heavier gun will help (steel grip), as will a tighter grip with the weak hand.

You might also try a different compensator.    :) 

What gun and load are you using ?

I've been using 3n38 and it works...I was just wondering what other slow burning powders people use. The dot movement seems to be a lot with 3n38. 

The powder choice is not the problem. It may be a powder quantity problem. Or it is your grip or recoil spring or compensator or a combo of all.   

Does hs6 run cleaner than 3n38?

No

8 hours ago, Acsr said:

As stated above accurate#7 (aa7) same burn rate as 3n38, just dirtier,  I use it and love it never had a issue but I clean my gun regularly.

In my experience, AA# 7 is slower than 3N38.  It required almost a full grain of powder to get the same PF

13 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

A heavier gun will help (steel grip), as will a tighter grip with the weak hand.

You might also try a different compensator.    :) 

What gun and load are you using ?

I've got a venom custom, 38sc. 

It's got a binary 3 port comp

I was using 1.230 oal. And between 9.1 and 9.5 grns of 3n38 powder. I never really felt any differance from 9.1 to 9.5 grains. Between 9.7 and 10 it started feeling explosive to say the least. Not to mention a ton of dot movement. 

I like N350 for sc.  It takes 8.something to make major with 124g jhp.

I have also used N105.  That needs 10-11g.

Both of these powders were more popular in 5" barrel guns, no popple holes, and comps with 5,6,7+ ports

5 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

maybe ill get a jug of n105 and a jug of n350 and just see which works best

Keep in mind, N105 is available in 1# only.   $268 for 8 x 1# at Powder valley vs. $148 for 8#  SWMP.  Shooting Open ins't cheap but for me, this is beyond what I want to spend

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

Keep in mind, N105 is available in 1# only.   $268 for 8 x 1# at Powder valley vs. $148 for 8#  SWMP.  Shooting Open ins't cheap but for me, this is beyond what I want to spend

I mean....5k for the gun, 1800 for the press to reload the ammo, around a grand on all the casings, bullets, powder ,scale etc....seems like at this point a few hundred extra is negligible 

On 3/1/2020 at 8:33 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

I've got a venom custom, 38sc. 

It's got a binary 3 port comp

I was using 1.230 oal. And between 9.1 and 9.5 grns of 3n38 powder. I never really felt any differance from 9.1 to 9.5 grains. Between 9.7 and 10 it started feeling explosive to say the least. Not to mention a ton of dot movement. 

You never said what the chrono is telling you with the various charges. I’m interested what the 9.1 and 9.7 was reading and then you can tune from there? 

2 hours ago, Posvar said:

You never said what the chrono is telling you with the various charges. I’m interested what the 9.1 and 9.7 was reading and then you can tune from there? 

Heres the data from 9.1 

Heres the data from 9.7

I think the higher velocities made the comp function better, but there was a good amount of dot movement