Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT Honcho Open Gun

Practicalomaha

13 hours ago, Posvar said:

Yikes. That’s not good. Hope you get them running. It makes sense as far as the fit and finish but that shouldn’t take away from being reliable. 

Don't take that to heart. 

Honchos are "finished" extremely well. Quicker build times and price are due to design for manufacturing and machining ability, and are not at all related to sacrificed quality.  

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Don't take that to heart. 

Honchos are "finished" extremely well. Quicker build times and price are due to design for manufacturing and machining ability, and are not at all related to sacrificed quality.  

Thanks Steven. I wasn't implying that the guns are inferior in any way but rather commenting that it's not good that they are not running well yet. It is certainly understandable that they aren't fit quite like an SV but that doesn't really matter in terms of running. I have owned many SV guns and all were beautiful but they are not in my possession any longer due to the fact that there are other guns out there that work just as well and don't cost so much or take so long to build. The Honcho is exactly that. 

I think they are running well in majority. I’ve only heard of a small handful of situations where they werent, whereas 5-10 times that amount of cases where they are running flawless.

This is just my personal experience and observations of posts regarding the Honcho. What I have seen suggested almost since they were created is that “they need to iron out the kinks” when that doesn’t appear to accurately describe the situation. It’s 1-2 flukes that end up getting classified as the rule rather than the exception. And this goes for anything in the firearm community, where someone has a buddy who has a buddy who heard that XYZ wasn’t working well, and then it gets spread as a blanket statement. Hopefully yours gets up to par with the rest of the Honchos out there soon. I can understand the frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Thanks Steven. I wasn't implying that the guns are inferior in any way but rather commenting that it's not good that they are not running well yet. It is certainly understandable that they aren't fit quite like an SV but that doesn't really matter in terms of running. I have owned many SV guns and all were beautiful but they are not in my possession any longer due to the fact that there are other guns out there that work just as well and don't cost so much or take so long to build. The Honcho is exactly that. 

Oh I know. 

They are fit as well or better than any 2011 on the market, including SV.  Sure, that's just my opinion, but I try my best to take a very objective look at it. 

I've owned a lot of 2011s, Limited and Open, from various builders. The Honchos I have are staying tighter, longer than any pistol I've owned.  I think superior materials, better machining practices, and the design lead to that. 

The vast majority of Honchos out there run perfect, with no tweaking, on stock MBX mags. 

4 hours ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

The disco got stuck down after 250 rounds. Replaced that. Then going to test it again just multiple jams and stovepipes. Not ejecting cases and very erratic.  Talking with other Honcho guys I’m going to replace the recoil spring with a (6 variable in the gun)7lb ISMI with two coils cut and the mainspring with 17lb(19 in gun). Then if I continue to have issues add a spring to the Aftec extractor. We will see. 

You should follow the advice you were given by the manufacturer which was to install the 2nd Aftec spring and report back. Changing loads, springs, and other parts all at once makes it difficult to determine the cause of an issue.

Im also curious to hear about this “rough fit” issue you reference.

4 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Oh I know. 

They are fit as well or better than any 2011 on the market, including SV.  Sure, that's just my opinion, but I try my best to take a very objective look at it. 

I've owned a lot of 2011s, Limited and Open, from various builders. The Honchos I have are staying tighter, longer than any pistol I've owned.  I think superior materials, better machining practices, and the design lead to that. 

The vast majority of Honchos out there run perfect, with no tweaking, on stock MBX mags. 

I would disagree and I’m not on Team PT like you so I’m not bias. My Atlas which is the only open gun I have owned is fit much better. EVERY part has the serial number etched in. Every part is hand massaged to fit perfect. I have to hammer in my Slide stop pin and have to spend 20 minutes trying to get my thumb safety back in. The fit is rough to say the least. Tight yes but rough. I would also disagree with superior materials. Why was the EGW bulb style disconnector used then if knowing the clearance is like .001? 
I hope I get this gun running today. It is a joy to shoot when it shoots but if not I will be selling it. When a company has a no return policy it should have been a red flag.  My gun doesn’t like MBX mags and I don’t care what everyone says. I’m a sample of 1 and so far this Honcho is not impressive and has me thinking I shouldn’t have made the jump. We will see after today. 

1 minute ago, MVPFc said:

You should follow the advice you were given by the manufacturer which was to install the 2nd Aftec spring and report back. Changing loads, springs, and other parts all at once makes it difficult to determine the cause of an issue.

Im also curious to hear about this “rough fit” issue you reference.

I’m doing that but I’m also stating the issues I’m having as well as frustration. I’m not changing loads and I will be testing today. Adding one spring in the extractor and then if that doesn’t work new springs. 

28 minutes ago, hurley326 said:

I think they are running well in majority. I’ve only heard of a small handful of situations where they werent, whereas 5-10 times that amount of cases where they are running flawless.

This is just my personal experience and observations of posts regarding the Honcho. What I have seen suggested almost since they were created is that “they need to iron out the kinks” when that doesn’t appear to accurately describe the situation. It’s 1-2 flukes that end up getting classified as the rule rather than the exception. And this goes for anything in the firearm community, where someone has a buddy who has a buddy who heard that XYZ wasn’t working well, and then it gets spread as a blanket statement. Hopefully yours gets up to par with the rest of the Honchos out there soon. I can understand the frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly. Just because we aren’t like other companies and will not broadcast when an issue is user error, doesn’t mean it’s an issue with the gun itself.

2 minutes ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

I’m doing that but I’m also stating the issues I’m having as well as frustration. I’m not changing loads and I will be testing today. Adding one spring in the extractor and then if that doesn’t work new springs. 

Based on the data you gave us you’re running ammo that’s around 187pf. We believe there are issues outside of the gun. Based on the information you’ve supplied. We have been and will continue to help you any way we can. You always have the option of sending it back with your mag(s) and ammo and we will sort it out for you. Not much else we can do besides that. 

6 minutes ago, MVPFc said:

Based on the data you gave us you’re running ammo that’s around 187pf. We believe there are issues outside of the gun. Based on the information you’ve supplied. We have been and will continue to help you any way we can. You always have the option of sending it back with your mag(s) and ammo and we will sort it out for you. Not much else we can do besides that. 

I’m also running ammo that is 173 PF. I’ve been told all along the Honcho likes hot loads and don’t use low PF. I’m using a load that a team guy uses currently. So can’t blame that.  I’m not saying you aren’t helping me I’m just stating my experience. CS is good and I’m thankful for that. If it doesn’t run today I will be doing exactly that. I hope I will not be charged as this is not user error. 

8 minutes ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

I’m also running ammo that is 173 PF. I’ve been told all along the Honcho likes hot loads and don’t use low PF. I’m using a load that a team guy uses currently. So can’t blame that.  I’m not saying you aren’t helping me I’m just stating my experience. CS is good and I’m thankful for that. If it doesn’t run today I will be doing exactly that. I hope I will not be charged as this is not user error. 

Charged? Charged for what exactly? No one has mentioned charging you for anything. I get you’re frustrated. But that’s a bit much. We’ve only offered to help and will continue to do so. You have our number as well as my personal cell and are welcome to call us for any assistance you need.

Edited by MVPFc

36 minutes ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

I would disagree and I’m not on Team PT like you so I’m not bias. My Atlas which is the only open gun I have owned is fit much better. EVERY part has the serial number etched in. Every part is hand massaged to fit perfect. I have to hammer in my Slide stop pin and have to spend 20 minutes trying to get my thumb safety back in. The fit is rough to say the least. Tight yes but rough. I would also disagree with superior materials. Why was the EGW bulb style disconnector used then if knowing the clearance is like .001? 
I hope I get this gun running today. It is a joy to shoot when it shoots but if not I will be selling it. When a company has a no return policy it should have been a red flag.  My gun doesn’t like MBX mags and I don’t care what everyone says. I’m a sample of 1 and so far this Honcho is not impressive and has me thinking I shouldn’t have made the jump. We will see after today. 

You'd be surprised how unbiased I actually am. I don't pull punches just because I'm on the "team". 

I wouldn't shoot a Honcho if If I thought I was sacrificing ANYTHING. Whether that be build quality, reliability, durability, or performance. Tiffany knows that, and knows I don't mind voicing it if something needs an improvement.  But anywho... none of that really matters, lets be objective about it. 

As far as materials, you can disagree,  but it's not really subjective. Without going into the technical aspects...the materials and heat treat practices used in the major components of the gun are as good as it gets in the custom pistol world. They just are. You are going to break parts in any Open or Limited gun that gets used hard. I've pretty much cracked a slide (and various other parts) every year (various slide manufacturers, various builders)..... up until my Honchos. They've been solid. That's not me being biased, that's just the reality. 

EGW ball discos are suuuuppppperrr common. The fact that one was used isn't an issue. It sucks that some debris stuck it, but that's not common. Hundreds of thousands of rounds through Open and Limited guns with EGW discos, and I've never seen it. But sounds like that's resolved. 

Every single Honcho that has been produced is tested on stock MBX mags. Your gun was tested on MBX mags. Every single Honcho I've ever touched will run on MBX mags. I'd bet the root cause of the issue isn't the mags. 

I know that type of stuff can be frustrating, and I don't say anything that I've said to be argumentative, but rather to just provide you some food for thought. 

It's a SUPER nice Open gun. It is, and I guarantee if I had the gun for 10 min I'd have it running 100%, but diagnosing stuff can be frustrating some times I know.

Take a breath, PT will get you squared away, and you'll enjoy the heck out of that gun. 

You'd be surprised how unbiased I actually am. I don't pull punches just because I'm on the "team". 
I wouldn't shoot a Honcho if If I thought I was sacrificing ANYTHING. Whether that be build quality, reliability, durability, or performance. Tiffany knows that, and knows I don't mind voicing it if something needs an improvement.  But anywho... none of that really matters, lets be objective about it. 

As far as materials, you can disagree,  but it's not really subjective. Without going into the technical aspects...the materials and heat treat practices used in the major components of the gun are as good as it gets in the custom pistol world. They just are. You are going to break parts in any Open or Limited gun that gets used hard. I've pretty much cracked a slide (and various other parts) every year (various slide manufacturers, various builders)..... up until my Honchos. They've been solid. That's not me being biased, that's just the reality. 

EGW ball discos are suuuuppppperrr common. The fact that one was used isn't an issue. It sucks that some debris stuck it, but that's not common. Hundreds of thousands of rounds through Open and Limited guns with EGW discos, and I've never seen it. But sounds like that's resolved. 

Every single Honcho that has been produced is tested on stock MBX mags. Your gun was tested on MBX mags. Every single Honcho I've ever touched will run on MBX mags. I'd bet the root cause of the issue isn't the mags. 

I know that type of stuff can be frustrating, and I don't say anything that I've said to be argumentative, but rather to just provide you some food for thought. 
It's a SUPER nice Open gun. It is, and I guarantee if I had the gun for 10 min I'd have it running 100%, but diagnosing stuff can be frustrating some times I know.

Take a breath, PT will get you squared away, and you'll enjoy the heck out of that gun. 

Agreed. I ain’t gonna kiss Tiffany’s ass just cause I’m on the team haha! Plus I paid full price for both mine. But the gun kicks ass. I haven’t touched an open gun that didn’t need tuning. And tuning that works for you might not work for me. Springs. Loads. All that.
s#!t one open gun I had, comp came lose. Extractor Broke. Mag catch broke. All under 4200 rounds. And that was from a refutable builder.
Once you get her squared away you’ll fee
Bad about talking about your girl like that. Shhh she can hear you. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, MVPFc said:

Exactly. Just because we aren’t like other companies and will not broadcast when an issue is user error, doesn’t mean it’s an issue with the gun itself.

I would not go down this road.  I have shot with both of the owners being talked about in this thread and they both have a lot of experience with guns.

I’ve seen them shooting functioning 2011s before.

I'll throw my 2¢ in. I just started my process with a Honcho Race Shop order. Currently I'm shooting a used Brazos custom 38 Super. Gun is super accurate and reliable but when I bought it in 38 Super I knew I was going to either convert it to 9mm or buy a 9 and keep the super as a backup. Been looking for a used 9 Open, nothing out there that seemed to be a good deal. Been paying attention to guys that have bought new open guns and I'll say I have seen quite a few with big-name known builders,($6k plus) going back and forth three and four times when new  just to get them running. Then I got to handle a Honcho at a match about a month ago. Looking at the mechanical design advantage of the Honcho , price and value for what you get, and from what I hear and see are very credible customer support system I felt most confident going this route to spend my hard-earned cash. I'm hoping and anticipating mine runs smooth out of the box with some load and possibly spring tweaking but I'm confident that if not PT will take care of it. Their ad says "no returns but not to worry if something goes wrong they'll take care of it",lifetime warranty! Not sure what more you could expect from a custom race shop build. Hell even Glock, Sigs and other service pistols have problems and issues right out of the box. Like this, rare but happens. It's all about the resolve in the end. 

34 minutes ago, Whoops! said:

I would not go down this road.  I have shot with both of the owners being talked about in this thread and they both have a lot of experience with guns.

Thank you sir

1 hour ago, Whoops! said:

Since you know Paul personally, ask him what the issue with his Honcho was.