Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

picking a division

Bravester12

Since what division you shoot is really dependent on the gun, asking this question before you have a gun is gonna get hundreds of different answers. I say Production, Single Stack, Limited, Limited 10, Revolver, Open, Carry Optics, and PCC are good divisions to start in.

Don't have a gun? Don't have a competition gun? Almost any service/duty size handgun can be used competitively.

Personally I started in Production, yeah you need a few more mag pouches, but box stock guns and factory ammo won't leave you thinking you need to upgrade right away.

You can do basically the same in Carry Optics, but with a dot and more capacity.

ETA: You could shoot the Shield, but it's a long way from ideal for any division.

Edited by Beef15

13 hours ago, Bravester12 said:

Is there a division to shoot a shield .45 acp in uspsa

You could shoot it in Production as well. Again, brings lots of mags! 

S&W

Notes: (Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5" is approved) All ported models of approved guns are approved for use in Production and Carry Optics, as long as the barrel is not ported. SD9VE/SD40VE added 10/13/16 M&P9M2.0 added 01/20/2017 XD Mod 2 added 2/8/17

For a person starting at 0, I recommend a Glock, XDM, or M&P in 40 Smith & Wesson. Then you can shoot production, Limited, limited 10, and even carry Ops fairly competitively. You're going to want to reload though that way in the divisions that major is not an advantage you can load minor. If someone would have gave me that advice it would have saved me a lot of money a long time ago 🙂

4 hours ago, RJH said:

For a person starting at 0, I recommend a Glock, XDM, or M&P in 40 Smith & Wesson. Then you can shoot production, Limited, limited 10, and even carry Ops fairly competitively. You're going to want to reload though that way in the divisions that major is not an advantage you can load minor. If someone would have gave me that advice it would have saved me a lot of money a long time ago 🙂

Fully agree with RJH.  Stick with an entry level polymer to learn with so as not to break the bank.  After a few months and getting used to the rules and styles of guns other shooters have; then make a decision if you want to venture into something that requires a larger investment.  Good luck and have fun!

1 minute ago, Bravester12 said:

South Paw, Yes I do have Other Guns but they are all small carry guns for personal defense.  And RJH thanks for the info. Why .40 S&W.

It's a scoring advantage if you get into the game to any real extent. 9mm is minor scoring, .40 is MAJOR scoring. Which means the farther you stray from the center of the target the lest points it costs you if shooting MAJOR.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

It's a scoring advantage if you get into the game to any real extent. 9mm is minor scoring, .40 is MAJOR scoring. Which means the farther you stray from the center of the target the lest points it costs you if shooting MAJOR.

There is only one division where you would want to shoot 40 so in general, I would not direct a new shooter to buy anything in 40 unless they understand the rules and decide Limited is their game.

2 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

There is only one division where you would want to shoot 40 so in general, I would not direct a new shooter to buy anything in 40 unless they understand the rules and decide Limited is their game.

True, but he asked why somebody recommended .40. I was just explaining the facts of USPSA life.

@Bravester12 where are you located? Odds are high that someone local to you is active here. And shooters are the best guys out there: if you’re interested in the sport they’ll likely be happy to meet you at a match and show you the ropes.

I have yet to see a local match happen where a new guy wasn’t given the chance to shoot a competitor’s gun - or several - if they hung around and showed interest.

4 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Bravester12 where are you located? Odds are high that someone local to you is active here. And shooters are the best guys out there: if you’re interested in the sport they’ll likely be happy to meet you at a match and show you the ropes.

I have yet to see a local match happen where a new guy wasn’t given the chance to shoot a competitor’s gun - or several - if they hung around and showed interest.

So true.

35 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

40 simply gives the most options in a single gun.  That is why i recommend it

I am located by Allentown, Pa. I think I am going to the Factoryville Shoot this weekend to watch.  I will go to about 3 to 4 shoots before I find out what to get.  I like to research before I buy thing so I dont waste momey. Even though I spent a lot on racing.

Thanks for all the info again

Bravester12

Nothing wrong with research man, I spend a fortune on shooting sports, used to spend the GDP of a small 3rd world nation drag racing so I completely understand. 

If it were me starting from scratch, I’d pick whatever poly full sized pistol feels right in 9mm and shoot the bloody hell out of it. Get one with an optics mount so you can pick and choose, production, carry optics, limited minor, all with the same gun and factory ammo until you figure out what you really enjoy. THEN you can spend a crap ton of money on that division lol. 

Limited minor is a handicap but at the same time, it will be a while before you could really see enough of a benefit from scoring major to place any higher. 

So pick a Glock MOS or an M&P CORE, and go shoot. Gives you the option of three different classes to try out. Then you can go blow cash on a CZ or EAA or whatever tickles your pickle and roll OR become one of those weirdos who spent so much time and so many rounds making the Glock feel right you just keep shooting them lol. I still shoot Glock pistols after about 11 years of playing in different shooting sports BUT as soon as the new Dan Wesson CZ with the 1911 style trigger hits the market that’s going to be my new limited gun. 

One approach is to get a 9mm pistol that is "legal" for Production - and shoot it in Limited, to get started.

With 9mm, you get the lowest ammunition cost. Being a beginner, you are not taking any wins in the near future anyway, so Major/Minor doesn't REALLY matter. In Limited, you are allowed more rounds in the magazine than USPSA Production, so that makes things simpler for you. If you pick a DA/SA pistol, you can start cocked and locked in Limited, which is more simple than starting DA in Production.

One approach is to get a 9mm pistol that is "legal" for Production - and shoot it in Limited, to get started.

Do this.

If it’s an option for the gun you choose, get one that is optic ready so you can also play in CO and Open. Just know that open minor with a slide mounted dot is not competitive...even less so than limited minor.

Do this.

If it’s an option for the gun you choose, get one that is optic ready so you can also play in CO and Open. Just know that open minor with a slide mounted dot is not competitive...even less so than limited minor.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

If you already have something that you are comfortable with (9mm, .40, or .45) - my suggestion is to start with it in, Production or limited. 

When I got started, I thought, my Sig P220 would be a nice place to start - nope.  .45 with a single stack mag and not in the Single Stack division.  But, like you I asked questions before hand and did some research.  I narrowed it down to an M&P Pro or Springfield XDM - either in .40.  I shot them both and they felt and performed about the same to me.  So it came down to the fact that the Springfield came with the basics to get me through a match.  I added an extra double magazine carrier and that set up ran me for a few years, then I upgraded to a better holster and better magazine pouches.  I ran a solid 4-ish years and that gun ran like a champ!

Good luck!

Dean

Might be against the grain & conventional wisdom on this one, but I'm choosing to start in Open. I know myself well enough to see that the characteristics of Open division is where I'd gravitate towards anyway, and I want to avoid the buying/selling/trading up of other-division-specific equipment along the way if I were to start elsewhere.

Edited by kamber

• 1 month later...

Id check out the local clubs, decide what division has the "heat" and go from there. Cost on equipment can also be a factor. While production has more basic guns, extra mag pouches, and extra magazines, cost can increase as well.

Finding a used setup on the classifieds can also be a huge help