Rudukai13

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, C_Tanner said:

yea... that's gonna be a big fat NOPE.

sorry for the bad news.💋

Well crap.  That sucks because the opening itself narrower than my gen5 Glock34.  Can I thin it?  Does USPSA have a max width dimension or is it a judgement call?  Worst case I can just hack up an X-frame.

11 minutes ago, earlan357 said:

Well crap.  That sucks because the opening itself narrower than my gen5 Glock34.  Can I thin it?  Does USPSA have a max width dimension or is it a judgement call?  Worst case I can just hack up an X-frame.

I re-did the silicone carbide on my X5 last night. you cant beat a fresh SC job!.  

16 minutes ago, earlan357 said:

They do not have a set Dimension, and you can blend the inside of the FACTORY grip. But I think the issue here is that its a aftermarket grip with a flair. if the factory frame had that flair it may not be an issue.

grip.JPG

3 minutes ago, earlan357 said:

How did you redo it?  Did you grind off the old SC or just put another layer on top?

I ground a little spot down and was able to peel it up with a pick. it is a MAJOR pain, but totally worth it. I shoot a good bit of matches and dryfire almost every night. so about 9-10 months is all I get out of silicone carbide. its still grippy when I pull it off but nothing like when its fresh.

9 hours ago, C_Tanner said:

I ground a little spot down and was able to peel it up with a pick. it is a MAJOR pain, but totally worth it. I shoot a good bit of matches and dryfire almost every night. so about 9-10 months is all I get out of silicone carbide. its still grippy when I pull it off but nothing like when its fresh.

What adhesive are you using to hold it on that peels back? Is it tape, or the epoxy and powder that you sprinkle on? Didn't realize this was removable and am now interested since I can redo it if I screw up!

5 hours ago, Excursion12 said:

What adhesive are you using to hold it on that peels back? Is it tape, or the epoxy and powder that you sprinkle on? Didn't realize this was removable and am now interested since I can redo it if I screw up!

I use JB weld 5 min epoxy and the stuff you sprinkle on. The real deal stuff. 

It doesn’t just peel off. It’s a fair amount of work.  But it does come off. This is what it looks like after I removed and cleaned it up. If your worried about messing it up, I know a guy that does KILLER work. I could hook you up with him if you would like. 

BTW OP, I’m so sorry for jacking your thread. It wasn’t my intent. 

61BD9711-3DE9-4609-8A41-40E203C46D74.jpeg

Edited by C_Tanner

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 6:35 PM, Heliarclee said:

1/4” and 5/32”.  I bought brass rods from Mcmaster carr.   

How tight did the 5/32 rods fit?  I got tungsten rods, and they are an extremely tight fit...I don't want to pound them into the frame just to find out they don't fit all the way, or that then middle piece wont fit, or that not the magazines don't fit. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 12:41 AM, C_Tanner said:

I use JB weld 5 min epoxy and the stuff you sprinkle on. The real deal stuff. 

It doesn’t just peel off. It’s a fair amount of work.  But it does come off. This is what it looks like after I removed and cleaned it up. If your worried about messing it up, I know a guy that does KILLER work. I could hook you up with him if you would like. 

BTW OP, I’m so sorry for jacking your thread. It wasn’t my intent. 

61BD9711-3DE9-4609-8A41-40E203C46D74.jpeg

I soak my grip in acetone for a day, the silicon carbide comes off really easy. The acetone doesn’t hurt the grip, I’ve done it several times now. 

Seems like a nice grip. Look forward to your working review, Rowdy. Hard to believe its not Production Legal when so much else seems to be added on everyday.  Hope they change that rule, as well, along with all the others of late. Can't wait to see how the rule book changes by this time next year.  

The Wilson grip is 0.20 inches narrower below the beaver tail.  The front and back strap stippling is more aggressive.  The side panels is different but equal to the stock in grip. I'd like more aggressive. 

I had to gently tap the fcu from my x5 legion into the grip for its first fitment. Zero binding or effect on function. The grip comes with a stock mag release installed so you just swap in the fcu and you're ready.

Slight difference in poa with the gun as I present it vs the stick grip. It immediately felt slimmer in hand. And in a good way.

I have tungsten rods on the way. The grip with fcu in it weighs 7.8 oz versus 18.5 for the stock x5 legion. No weigh, get it, no way adding tungsten welding rods is gonna add more than 2oz to the Wilson grip. (For $25 at least it is cheap weight).

So far I really like it. Though it does really change the balance back to being nose heavy vs all in the grip. 

Edited by rowdyb

So hold on, this grip module isn’t Production/CO legal because the minuscule flare on the bottom of the grip is too much like a magwell...

IMG_2999.JPG.1578b401ab39826b013864ab682

But this obvious thumb rest is legal cause it’s technically “just” a replacement takedown lever?

...🤡

yeah, if you look at both of them from the magwell area in to the grip.... Sorry Troy but I think you got it wrong.

Second, my Armory Craft tungsten inserts arrive tomorrow.

Edited by rowdyb

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2020 at 3:14 PM, QuietM4 said:

How tight did the 5/32 rods fit?  I got tungsten rods, and they are an extremely tight fit...I don't want to pound them into the frame just to find out they don't fit all the way, or that then middle piece wont fit, or that not the magazines don't fit. 

I have the Wilson module, and the Wilson weights. They drop in loose, not tight at all. I put a dab of silicone on each to hold them down in the slots.

• 3 weeks later...

So has anything changed?  Are these grips still not allowed in Production or CO?

On 6/10/2020 at 4:16 AM, Racinready300ex said:

So does this mean you can use just the grip?

Screenshot_20200610-051212.png

On 5/1/2020 at 9:22 AM, rowdyb said:

The Wilson grip is 0.20 inches narrower below the beaver tail.  The front and back strap stippling is more aggressive.  The side panels is different but equal to the stock in grip. I'd like more aggressive. 

I had to gently tap the fcu from my x5 legion into the grip for its first fitment. Zero binding or effect on function. The grip comes with a stock mag release installed so you just swap in the fcu and you're ready.

Slight difference in poa with the gun as I present it vs the stick grip. It immediately felt slimmer in hand. And in a good way.

I have tungsten rods on the way. The grip with fcu in it weighs 7.8 oz versus 18.5 for the stock x5 legion. No weigh, get it, no way adding tungsten welding rods is gonna add more than 2oz to the Wilson grip. (For $25 at least it is cheap weight).

So far I really like it. Though it does really change the balance back to being nose heavy vs all in the grip. 

Nice post. 

I am currently setting my Legion up for CO.  A project in process.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:46 AM, C_Tanner said:

I have a buddy that emailed Troy about this, Troy gave it the no go. His reason was exactly your thoughts, the flare is to much of a 'magwell'

I wonder if there are numerical criteria to determine what constitutes too much flare.

Reminds me of the old obscenity laws, I cannot define obscenity but I know it when i see it."  😏🤣

I have a buddy that emailed Troy about this, Troy gave it the no go. His reason was exactly your thoughts, the flare is to much of a 'magwell'

I wonder if there are numerical criteria to determine what constitutes too much flare.

Reminds me of the old obscenity laws, I cannot define obscenity but I know it when i see it."  😏🤣

Reminds me of the old obscenity laws, I cannot define obscenity but I know it when i see it."  😏🤣😳