Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Warranty change

praetorian97

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I own a dvc that had a cracked barrel at 5k. They were awesome and fixed it .. actually sent me a new gun back pretty quickly (which I didn’t request, would have been happy with the original as it was flawless till the crack).. I got the same gen1 dvc barrel in the new one. Really haven’t worried about it, but just waiting for the new one to crack just the same- as it’s the original design they have since fixed. Now I guess I’m screwed when it does??? “Any modification to the gun, including cosmetic” seriously? And any non open gun that’s had reloaded ammo through it (all limited guns)? Any gun would now be voided completely by installing a new mag well. Might as well have just said we’re no longer warranting any old guns. It’s their business and I’m sure they were getting killed fixing bad quality they sent out the door to begin with... but that vortex style well fix anything type of warranty is what made me have zero concern about buying an sti. I’ve owned several. Had some issues, had some sent back, but a overall would keep buying them. With this new policy I think that’s changed. Zero reason to buy a mass produced gun at $4000+ when I can get a custom built gun made by any one of the plentiful quality gun makers around these days for about the same. I’m not griping that they have no right to change the warranty... but that changes entirely my interest in buying an STI.

My guess is we can thank some scum bags trying to scam sti and abuse the warranty system to send in a beat to hell gun with 200,000 rounds that they hacked on in their garage and destroyed- then demanding a brand new gun be sent back - think I saw a fraud from down in Kentucky recently trying something similar ... well it was good while it lasted I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

My guess is we can thank some scum bags trying to scam sti and abuse the warranty system to send in a beat to hell gun with 200,000 rounds that they hacked on in their garage and destroyed- then demanding a brand new gun be sent back - think I saw a fraud from down in Kentucky recently trying something similar ... well it was good while it lasted I guess.

STIs lack of QC on their older lines of guns is what did this. I dont know many guys with the DVC lines of guns who haven't run into an issue directly related to fitment.

STIs lack of QC on their older lines of guns is what did this. I dont know many guys with the DVC lines of guns who haven't run into an issue directly related to fitment.

I’ve had 2 of the DVC opens in 9mm. The first one was excellent right up until the barrel cracked..... I think zero malfunctions in the lifetime. The 2nd has been solid. Not as perfect tho, some minor issues but it’s still a good gun. Now I’m dreading when it does have an issue. And add to that the resale value likely just tanked... ugh.

It's a damn shame, because one of the great things about getting an Edge used to be that it was a pretty good platform to start with for not a ton of money, and then you could have a gunsmith customize it once you figured out what you wanted.

And yeah, I'm not spending $4k+ on a plastic gripped limited gun that probably needs trigger work.

20 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

the resale value likely just tanked... ugh.

Had the same thoughts here too haha. To be honest, these are just tools in my mind. Not looking to spend family heirloom money. That way I don't cry as hard if I bump into a bench or another shooter. 

Curious to see what or if this changes the 2011 Custom market. 

Had the same thoughts here too haha. To be honest, these are just tools in my mind. Not looking to spend family heirloom money. That way I don't cry as hard if I bump into a bench or another shooter. 

Curious to see what or if this changes the 2011 Custom market. 

I have to think this is a boost to smaller gunmakers. Once the warranty support is gone I wouldn’t even look at an STI over something from a smaller shop. I assume they expected some of this... unless they’re not planning ahead at all. Maybe they are expecting high volume govt agency sales to increase. Which seems to be what they’re pushing. I guess it all depends on how many they sell to competitors vs how many they expect to sell to police depts. Which is an odd thought anyway.. I handled acquisition and transition to new handguns once when I was a LEO, and I would have gotten laughed out the door if I proposed we switch to a $2000+ STI 2011.

28 minutes ago, parvusimperator said:

I think that the marketing plan is to push the "elite"/swat types towards their guns, since those guys might have more budget/leeway for a $2000+ service pistol, and might appreciate something nicer than a stock Glock/P320/whatever.

I would trust my life to a Glock over a 2011 any day at 1/4th the cost

Edited by Sarge

I think that the marketing plan is to push the "elite"/swat types towards their guns, since those guys might have more budget/leeway for a $2000+ service pistol, and might appreciate something nicer than a stock Glock/P320/whatever.

Yea, but most departments don’t allow guys to buy their own guns regardless of assignment. Outside of a few big agencies most of LE carries whatever the Dept issues. And Glock is far and away the one to beat. When a Glock is $350 for an agency purchase and sti is $2000+. I feel like they might be barking up the wrong tree long term. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure they’ll still sell some. And i don’t know, maybe the market for quality semi custom builds has already gut punched STI sales enough that they needed to make a change to stay afloat. So add to that change the savings of not spending time or money on warranty work, I’m sure it’s a savings for them- at least in the short term.

Reads like most car warranties these days.   CYA

I doubt they're going to be kicking a gun back because maybe you fired one or even ten thousand good reloads, or put a magwell on it, but you know there are morons out there that load whatever they can cram into a case and call it good, then send the gun back when it breaks.

And slides crack all the time at 'cosmetic' cuts...

Reads like most car warranties these days.   CYA

I doubt they're going to be kicking a gun back because maybe you fired one or even ten thousand good reloads, or put a magwell on it, but you know there are morons out there that load whatever they can cram into a case and call it good, then send the gun back when it breaks.

And slides crack all the time at 'cosmetic' cuts...

I would hope so. And yes I totally understand not covering aftermarket slide cuts.

I’m more irritated about the metal grip aspect. I’ve now got an open gun that has no warranty because it’s wearing a metal grip, something that did not void the warranty last week... and something that would not have been added if it expressly voided a warranty. Truth be told I probably would have just spent the money on a diff brand set up the way I wanted had that always been the case.

2 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

...I’m more irritated about the metal grip aspect. I’ve now got an open gun that has no warranty because it’s wearing a metal grip, something that did not void the warranty last week...

If you have a warranty issue, put the original plastic grip back on or buy a new one.  And delete this post!!

I always like STI but the idea of going against Glock, which is the main supplier of LEO agencies not only nation wide but world wide too, is going to be tough for STI.

Like Sarge mentioned...for way less money and a lot more reliable, one word GLOCK.

2 hours ago, Hperea said:

I always like STI but the idea of going against Glock, which is the main supplier of LEO agencies not only nation wide but world wide too, is going to be tough for STI.

Like Sarge mentioned...for way less money and a lot more reliable, one word GLOCK.

Most agencies across the country do not have the budget to outfit the staff with 2011 style pistols. My full time gig deals with this. Hell they don't even have the ammo budget we would all want them to have.

The smaller departments make up the majority of the agencies across the US so I don't see them going after regular department contracts. Most likely as mentioned above, trying to hit the larger budget agencies. This doesn't make sense to me cause they are way fewer.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Several of my LEO friends say they get 100 rounds or less a year to practice and qualify with. To me, that is insane. 

Varies wildly by agency/department and who’s at the wheel. 

Some small agencies spend a ton on ammo, and some large agencies buy the minimum amount of ammo possible. 

I think we all would appreciate more range time for officers,  (especially those of us in the LE distributor industry  ;) :) )

Edited by Ssanders224

2 hours ago, praetorian97 said:

Most agencies across the country do not have the budget to outfit the staff with 2011 style pistols. My full time gig deals with this. Hell they don't even have the ammo budget we would all want them to have.

The smaller departments make up the majority of the agencies across the US so I don't see them going after regular department contracts. Most likely as mentioned above, trying to hit the larger budget agencies. This doesn't make sense to me cause they are way fewer.

As someone who works for a company that sells to and deals with LE departments every day, and has for decades..... I’d hate to know I had to start pushing $2000 handguns. Are their niche agencies that may approve/purchase them? Probably.  But you’d get looked at like you were insane at 99% of depts you walked into. 

Also, I have a safe full of 2011s in various configurations, and have shot & worked on them for years. I love the platform. That being said, I’d have a hard time pushing it as a duty weapon with a clear conscience. 

3 hours ago, praetorian97 said:

They don't have to have agency sales when the individual LEO can buy and carry.  Rangers have purchased 100+ of them in the last 6 months with their own $$.

35 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

As someone who works for a company that sells to and deals with LE departments every day, and has for decades..... I’d hate to know I had to start pushing $2000 handguns. Are their niche agencies that may approve/purchase them? Probably.  But you’d get looked at like you were insane at 99% of depts you walked into. 

Also, I have a safe full of 2011s in various configurations, and have shot & worked on them for years. I love the platform. That being said, I’d have a hard time pushing it as a duty weapon with a clear conscience. 

No question, true gun guys that know how to maintain and shoot these gun should be the only ones buying them.  However, I've found with these latest Gen 2011 pistols, all you need is a better/longer mag spring to feed flat nosed JHP ammo.

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

As someone who works for a company that sells to and deals with LE departments every day, and has for decades.....

Same here. 15 years. While I agree 100% with your statement of who is behind the helm, this is more of an outlier than the norm.