Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Warranty change

praetorian97

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

They don't have to have agency sales when the individual LEO can buy and carry.  Rangers have purchased 100+ of them in the last 6 months with their own $$.

I have seen some LEOs with non issued guns. In fact one that stands out was one with a 1911. What caught my attention was the 800 single stack mags he had on the belt LOL. 

But a lot of agencies go against this due to liabilities associated with it. Like Ssanders says, its whose behind the helm. 

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Several of my LEO friends say they get 100 rounds or less a year to practice and qualify with. To me, that is insane. 

Isn't it?! Its a double edged sword. People gripe that they want our officers/deputies to have more training but when it comes to tax time to pay for it........

Isn't it?! Its a double edged sword. People gripe that they want our officers/deputies to have more training but when it comes to tax time to pay for it........

And training budgets get expensive real quick... it’s a tough problem to solve... but regardless of that, there are plenty of guys carrying guns professionally that wouldn’t shoot more than 100 rounds a year unless you absolutely forced them. It’s insane on so many levels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm wondering if the part about "no transfer of warranty" thing is something new or not. I bought a used Steelmaster many years ago and sent it back in for hammer follow last year. They fixed it with no issue. Maybe I got in just in time. 

I'm wondering if the part about "no transfer of warranty" thing is something new or not. I bought a used Steelmaster many years ago and sent it back in for hammer follow last year. They fixed it with no issue. Maybe I got in just in time. 

This is all very new. Pretty much up till now they would take care of any sti gun that had come out of their shop- vortex/Dillon style. That’s changed and it seems they’ve pretty much shut down their warranty service program.

9 hours ago, shooterDrew said:

This is all very new. Pretty much up till now they would take care of any sti gun that had come out of their shop- vortex/Dillon style. That’s changed and it seems they’ve pretty much shut down their warranty service program.

Maybe they realized they were spending time and money fixing guns that were trashed by the owners and that was causing them to get way behind on real its-our-fault warrantee work (try getting Dillon to fix a 1050 or 650 they know you put an autodrive on)

Or maybe the money-men started walking around with the budget ax looking for places to cut costs...  IDK

54 minutes ago, shred said:

Maybe they realized they were spending time and money fixing guns that were trashed by the owners and that was causing them to get way behind on real its-our-fault warrantee work (try getting Dillon to fix a 1050 or 650 they know you put an autodrive on)

I 100% believe we as competition shooters made ourselves very unappealing to them. 

2 hours ago, praetorian97 said:

I 100% believe we as competition shooters made ourselves very unappealing to them. 

Or it's their fault because their stuff doesn't work?

I know of a local shop that used to be a dealer that bailed on them because they spent so much time dealing with shipping returns. 

I think you’re probably right. I’m not sure what the perfect plan would be for them... I just know that buying a new or used STI was palatable when I had a sense that STI had my back if the gun had issues. Now that’s changed and I don’t see myself buying any more STIs. Too many other good/better options out there.

19 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Or it's their fault because their stuff doesn't work?

I know of a local shop that used to be a dealer that bailed on them because they spent so much time dealing with shipping returns. 

I'm not defending s#!t quality by any means. I have two STIs that have been back for warranty work sub 4000 rounds that were 100% manufacture defects. 

7 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

I think you’re probably right. I’m not sure what the perfect plan would be for them... I just know that buying a new or used STI was palatable when I had a sense that STI had my back if the gun had issues. Now that’s changed and I don’t see myself buying any more STIs. Too many other good/better options out there.

Curious to see if BUL becomes the next go to entry gun to get.

Too bad.  So many people shoot their guns in competitions.  I owned one, slide cracked and they replaced it with a new more expensive model.

I guess they are betting they have all their bugs worked out of their manufacturing/fitting process.  Metallurgy hopefully not being an issue.

This hobby gets less and less attractive to me everyday. 

I use to tell everyone that asked me what gun to get, to get an edge because its cheap, has a great warranty and will take you as far as you want to go. Then they stopped making them and started making the dvc crap. I still recommend them and just said they have lots of problems but it's better than a 34.... And now they hit us with this no warranty at all s#!t? Not that they are making anything worth buying anyway but dayymm man. I guess now they can get rid of their dying QC department completely, just sell any garbage they can pump out and not worry about fixing it. 

• 2 months later...

Couple months ago I sent my decade old TruBor in because of a crack

in the barrel lug.  9mm Major.

Took couple weeks, but I got a new barrel out of it - for FREE.

I was very happy after reading that STI wasn't going to repair

old guns any more.     :) 

I am an original owner on the gun - might make a difference.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:51 AM, corny said:

Too bad.  So many people shoot their guns in competitions.  I owned one, slide cracked and they replaced it with a new more expensive model.

I guess they are betting they have all their bugs worked out of their manufacturing/fitting process.  Metallurgy hopefully not being an issue.

no, I think they are betting that most warranty request users will have removed or modified the grip, made a even a cosmetic change, or shot reloaded ammo.  That warranty doesn’t read to me like a company thinks they have fixed their sketchy QC issues.  It reads like a warranty where they can exclude warranty repair on the one particular segment of the shooting population that puts a lot of rounds through their pistols.  

39 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

no, I think they are betting that most warranty request users will have removed or modified the grip, made a even a cosmetic change, or shot reloaded ammo.  That warranty doesn’t read to me like a company thinks they have fixed their sketchy QC issues.  It reads like a warranty where they can exclude warranty repair on the one particular segment of the shooting population that puts a lot of rounds through their pistols.  

I do not disagree with that statement.

1 hour ago, cecil said:

it appears STI"s .. "BEAN COUNTERS" . .. are going to bankrupt STI...   no warranty... no buy .. simple at that.. 

Or they just realized that their core customers being competitive shooters where taking advantage of their warranty. They have to be the only company in any industry you can buy their product chop it up, customize it and abuse it for years and then expect it to be fixed for free when it breaks. 

The thing is the Timmy's buy more and shoot less, this is actually probably a winning strategy for STI weather we like it or not. My holster maker shifted their focus from competition to le and tacticool and doubled their business. Again bigger market, less demanding.

Edited by inertia

12 minutes ago, inertia said:

The thing is the Timmy's buy more and shoot less, this is actually probably a winning strategy for STI weather we like it or not. My holster maker shifted their focus from competition to le and tacticool and doubled their business. Again bigger market, less demanding.

Based on the popularity of the John Wick gun, there are plenty of guys out there looking to drop $$$ on a gun they will barely use. Meanwhile there aren't many of us, and we beat the crap out of our stuff. 

32 minutes ago, cecil said:

as you wrote... "their core customers"... will disappear ... what will they do when their sales fail to support them ?

Keep making more and more overtly tactical ninja JohnWick models, and arranging for them to appear in gun magazine centerfolds and sponsored YouTube reviews.

And sell a ton of them.

Duh.

Edited by MemphisMechanic