Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nighthawk Drop-In Trigger System

bulldog009

I got an email from Nighthawk Custom this morning showing off some of their new products and this jumped out at me - a drop-in 1911 trigger - https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/drop-in/drop-in-trigger-system

Its an interesting concept, and I can't think of any other time I've seen something like this. It will be interesting to see how big of a difference that may make over a factory/production 1911 trigger without paying a gunsmith for a complete trigger overhaul. 

Following in the steps of ar15 cmc(and similar) drop in.. I agree - overpriced. Would dare say "unique concept".. with an alibi of "for the 1911". Definitely not traditional. However.. how it functions in reality, we will see.

I was forwarded an email about this exact thing today around lunch.

Am going to guess this does not displace a standard sear fixture and a few quality components. For this price, a person can buy an edbrown fixture with two stones and a good sear/hammer set. Someone else said it best. C&S has pretty darn good kits around the $160 price range that likely put this to shame.

All said - if a person could play with the coilspring weights(i presume some sort of a mousetrap spring by pictures) it may be quite popular; the drop in package. Maybe something akin to geissele nm hispeed trigger set. Booklet of instructions and handful of springs.

Side note; their pistols are awful expensive. Getting up there with full house customs. Are they really that good?

3 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

A local guy has a couple, I've not been super impressed. Most matches I see him at his gun is in the shop and he's shooting a Glock.

This reflects what I have heard from other sources.

Those guns are prone to problems. Ofcourse, I heard that six years ago...

Hey guys, I felt the urge to answer some questions on this one. I am the inventor of this gadget. If you watch the Nighthawk videos on the unit, I am the bald dude. I have had this thing for over a decade (the patent was issued in 2011), but never found the right partner to get them produced until I met Mark Stone at Nighthawk. I tried to partner with a lot of the companies in the industry, but could never get the deal done. I think this was partially due to my inexperience and partially due to manufacturers not knowing if they could get this thing made profitably. 

First things: I am really happy with the quality of the parts that Nighthawk has put together.  Their concern for producing a top quality part has been amazing. I don't think any of the other people (companies with names well known on this forum) that I tried to license this idea to over the years would have produced this level of quality. The partnership with Nighthawk has been a great experience so far.  

The first question from USPSA shooters will be about pull weight. The current Nighthawk part should drop in around 3.5 lb. My original design for this was adjustable for pull weight, and I have run my prototypes much lighter for years. If you ever shot with me at a USPSA or 3-gun match in the last decade, there was one in my pistol. There has been some talk about a competition version to come at a later date, but sales have to start somewhere.  If this is something that you would like to see, let Nighthawk know. With that being said, I admit that the serious competitor will still probably want a gunsmith tuned light trigger job, but let's face it, the general shooting market is a lot bigger than the competition market.  

The next question will likely be about interchangeability. The unit will go into most frames. One notable exception is that the factory beavertail grip safety on Springfield Armory pistols will not clear the housing. There are other occasional examples that don't work, but most do.

I have heard some people ask about durability on other forums. I have about 80,000 rounds spread over several of my prototype units, with one a little over 25k. I only have about 7k on a Nighthawk produced unit, but they did a 20k torture test on one of theirs. I don't think durability will be an issue even for high volume shooters.  

As far as cleaning them when they get full of gunk, just spray it out with gun scrubber or drop in a parts cleaner and then re-lube it after. 

Mark Dye

4 hours ago, arkadi said:

What is the life expectancy of the trigger system?

I don't think we have found that out yet. Like I said before, I have about 25k on one of my prototypes and Nighthawk has 20k + on one of theirs. I don't see any reason that these units would have a shorter lifespan than the standard Nighthawk barstock parts.

The current Nighthawk version is slightly heavier than 3.5. I put one of the current production models in a pistol yesterday with a 19 lb mainspring, and it went in at 3lb 10 oz. I would expect a couple of ounces to drop off after the 100-150 round break in. 

Mark 

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

I noticed you said " 

On 1/17/2020 at 6:32 AM, mark dye said:

One notable exception is that the factory beavertail grip safety on Springfield Armory pistols will not clear the housing.

I have Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded PI9134LCA model which is Springfield 1911 9MM Loaded Stainless 5" Barrel

Will my gun not work with your Nighthawk drop in trigger system because of the beavertail grip safety?

Please let me know, thanks 

1 hour ago, yigal said:

in my gun i use  almost 😉 similar system for 2 years with 1 lb 4 oz trigger that can be customized and more reliable than this system.

i offered it to few companies . nobody want . only for free 😀

can you explain more? I’m interested. 

9 hours ago, uscmarine said:

can you explain more? I’m interested. 

actually it has 2  different systems.😉

any system without leaf spring is better solution.

i don't understand why it takes 100 y. to solve this weak 1911 spot.😀

Edited by yigal