Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nighthawk Drop-In Trigger System

bulldog009

It could promote some companies to the 21st century because it is the most reliable system for all 2011/1911 models. for sport or carry .

i designed  it after my limited  2011 couldn't work reliably  with trigger pull under 1.5 lb

2 hours ago, yigal said:

It could promote some companies to the 21st century because it is the most reliable system for all 2011/1911 models. for sport or carry .

i designed  it after my limited  2011 couldn't work reliably  with trigger pull under 1.5 lb

Any pics? Any videos? I think this is really good stuff but I want to see more details please

1 hour ago, uscmarine said:

Any pics? Any videos? I think this is really good stuff but I want to see more details please

i don't have .

i run it on jig 40k  cycles  to find the limit and to check if it has any changes.

leaf spring that was set to ~2lb failed  few times to engage sear at 1000 rpm. my system  was set to 1.5 lb and worked at 6000rpm. for 40k

tried to offered this to some company . they shoot 200 round to check if it will shoot full auto .it was on my gun.

They wanted to dismantle and see the mechanism and I didn't let them so I was told that nobody needed this s#!t. so i use it for myself only.

• 6 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 9:32 AM, mark dye said:

Hey guys, I felt the urge to answer some questions on this one. I am the inventor of this gadget. If you watch the Nighthawk videos on the unit, I am the bald dude. I have had this thing for over a decade (the patent was issued in 2011), but never found the right partner to get them produced until I met Mark Stone at Nighthawk. I tried to partner with a lot of the companies in the industry, but could never get the deal done. I think this was partially due to my inexperience and partially due to manufacturers not knowing if they could get this thing made profitably. 

First things: I am really happy with the quality of the parts that Nighthawk has put together.  Their concern for producing a top quality part has been amazing. I don't think any of the other people (companies with names well known on this forum) that I tried to license this idea to over the years would have produced this level of quality. The partnership with Nighthawk has been a great experience so far.  

The first question from USPSA shooters will be about pull weight. The current Nighthawk part should drop in around 3.5 lb. My original design for this was adjustable for pull weight, and I have run my prototypes much lighter for years. If you ever shot with me at a USPSA or 3-gun match in the last decade, there was one in my pistol. There has been some talk about a competition version to come at a later date, but sales have to start somewhere.  If this is something that you would like to see, let Nighthawk know. With that being said, I admit that the serious competitor will still probably want a gunsmith tuned light trigger job, but let's face it, the general shooting market is a lot bigger than the competition market.  

The next question will likely be about interchangeability. The unit will go into most frames. One notable exception is that the factory beavertail grip safety on Springfield Armory pistols will not clear the housing. There are other occasional examples that don't work, but most do.

I have heard some people ask about durability on other forums. I have about 80,000 rounds spread over several of my prototype units, with one a little over 25k. I only have about 7k on a Nighthawk produced unit, but they did a 20k torture test on one of theirs. I don't think durability will be an issue even for high volume shooters.  

As far as cleaning them when they get full of gunk, just spray it out with gun scrubber or drop in a parts cleaner and then re-lube it after. 

Mark Dye

Is there a way to use the housing to create an adjustable 2-stage trigger? If so, I think it could be popular in the bullseye world.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 12:56 PM, mpolans said:

Is there a way to use the housing to create an adjustable 2-stage trigger? If so, I think it could be popular in the bullseye world.

If it was adjustable, I'd buy at least one. Then 6 or 7 if it worked out.

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 8:44 PM, uscmarine said:

Hi Mark,

I noticed you said " 

I have Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded PI9134LCA model which is Springfield 1911 9MM Loaded Stainless 5" Barrel

Will my gun not work with your Nighthawk drop in trigger system because of the beavertail grip safety?

Please let me know, thanks 

I just tried to install one on my Springfield Range Officer.  The grip safety pushes against the housing, blocking the grip safety from functioning.  So I either need to file the heck out of the inside, or buy a new one if I want to use the DTS.....  It would have been nice for Nighthawk to disclose this, especially considering Springfield 1911's are quite popular.