Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot for G17

mtwain56

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PrimaryBruce said:

What are you dong with it? For duty/defense - the SRO is not recommended in sheer terms if durability.

Trijicon RMR is the undisputed king of being able to get the get hell beat out of it and just keep going.

Mostly Practical Shooting "Steel Matches ", in "Limited Div.", and target practice. About 250 rounds per week. Also carry occasionally. 

149234555_G17withALG6SecondMount(2).thumb.jpg.1dc1a9ad010a2e45dc194a8382c4c46c.jpgOr

Or you can take a totally different approach, like my night match and home defense Gen 3 G17. This is an old photo. It now also sports a matching rely ALG Defense magwell. 

Edited by Paul49
Image size

On 12/27/2019 at 5:55 AM, PrimaryBruce said:

What are you dong with it? For duty/defense - the SRO is not recommended in sheer terms if durability.

Trijicon RMR is the undisputed king of being able to get the get hell beat out of it and just keep going.

Practical shooting,  defense,  and possibly consealed carry. 

On 1/2/2020 at 1:51 PM, S&W686 said:

I have been running a Cmore RTS2 on my Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS and it has worked very well for me.

C-More was always popular,  I have not seen anyone at our range using one. I did see a advertisement for C-More red dot in Dillons Blue Press, and read somewhere you had to adapting plate for Glocks. What MOA's does it come in?

7 hours ago, mtwain56 said:

Practical shooting,  defense,  and possibly consealed carry. 

SRO is great for a range/game gun optic. But it doesn't have the durability of an RMR as far as being able to take a beating and keep going. Period. For defense and concealed carry, an SRO simply wouldn't be my go-to.

16 hours ago, PrimaryBruce said:

SRO is great for a range/game gun optic. But it doesn't have the durability of an RMR as far as being able to take a beating and keep going. Period. For defense and concealed carry, an SRO simply wouldn't be my go-to.

Thanks for your imput! I went on Trijicons web sight and its helping me narrow it down

RMR 2 keeps up and is to my liking. MY ONLY CONCERN IS THE SMALLER WINDOW THEN TRIJICON'S SRO. ORIGINALLY I WAS THINKING 5 MOA, BUT 3.5 LOOKS GOOD FOR ME. AT THE RANGE I SEE SLIGHTLY MORE RMR'S THEN SRO'S, AND TRIJICON IS THE MAJOR CHOICE FOR GLOCK SHOOTERS.

Window size is a non issue when you're shooting a dot the correct way. Period.

Both eyes open, clear focus on target down range. Dot should simply be superimposed over target. You shouldn't be looking at anything down range "through" the glass as if you're using a scope on a rifle.

The argument is always "Well why do so many competition users use optics with bigger glass than RMR?

Simple. Almost all those options are:

Cheaper

Offer convenience of top or side load batteries

The best competition shooters will shoot just fine with an SRO or an RMR. It's not going to matter to them one bit.

Edited by PrimaryBruce

35 minutes ago, PrimaryBruce said:

Window size is a non issue when you're shooting a dot the correct way. Period.

Both eyes open, clear focus on target down range. Dot should simply be superimposed over target. You shouldn't be looking at anything down range "through" the glass is if you're using a scope on a rifle.

The argument is always "Well why do so many competition users use optics with bigger glass than RMR?

Simple. Almost all those options are:

Cheaper

Offer convenience of top load batteries

The best competition shooters will shoot just fine with an SRO or an RMR. It's not going to matter to them one bit.

Summed it up perfectly....

While I’m in the camp that the RMR type 2is one of , if not the best red dot on the market. I witnessed an unusual fail at a Steel Challenge match last week. The glass window fell out. I thought this most unusual, but if it’s man made anything is subject to happen. I only make this comment as some think these things are infallible.