Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot for G17

mtwain56

6 hours ago, Cuz said:

Have you considered the Burris FF3?

Good quality, durable, and unlimited lifetime warranty.

Fastfire III shouldn't be brought up in the same conversation as an RMR or SRO. It's not nearly on that level of dependability or durability, not by a long shot. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using the Trijicon RMR 06 type 1 for a couple of years , no complaints so far. I ended up picking up  a type 2 recently, but have not really had the time to play with it yet. Good luck with whichever you go with.

This has been great, and I thank everybody for there input. 
Trijicon RMR has been the most popular MOS in response to my question posted on the Forum for my new Glock 17. 
It's also the most popular at the Range I shoot at.

No doubt the Trijicon SRO is just as good and better in some ways. But I bought the RMR 2 today because it suited my needs for shooting CO and because of its lower profile!
I think it would be  easier to consealed.  

Thanks again to everyone for helping me with my decision.

Edited by mtwain56
Made my decision.

On 12/26/2019 at 2:24 PM, dapribek said:

I have the 5MOA Trijicon SRO. Not sure about the auto shut-off, but I really like it much more than my Leupold DPP. 

No doubt the Trijicon SRO is just as good and better in some ways. But I bought the RMR 2 because it suited my needs for Practical shooting "CO" and because of its lower profile it will be easier to carry consealed.  Thanks again for helping me with my decision.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, Cuz said:

Have you considered the Burris FF3?

Good quality, durable, and unlimited lifetime warranty.

Yes, I thouht its size would hamper me. Periodically I must carry consealed. The Trijicon MRO2 is what I purchased. Thanks for your input. 

Sage Dynamics review numerous RDS on YouTube. His review process is beyond what most would do. For defensive pistols his top 3 are trijicon rmr, aimpoint acro, and holosun 507c. I went out and bought a holosun 508t after watching his review. Price was better than trijicon so I figured I would try it out. Same footprint as rmr so if I don’t like it I’m not out much. Still waiting on it to get here.

3 hours ago, Magsz said:

Holy Mall Ninja batman...

For concealed carry and defensive use the SRO is just fine.

For duty use, the SRO is arguably sub optimal but that still is a debatable point.

You can say all the cool guy insults you want.

It is a FACT that the RMR is more durable than the SRO. Period. Trijicon themselves even say strait up that the SRO is not a duty/defense optic.

Just now, PrimaryBruce said:

You can say all the cool guy insults you want.

It is a FACT that the RMR is more durable than the SRO. Period. Trijicon themselves even say strait up that the SRO is not a duty/defense optic.

You are absolutely correct.

However, Trijicon is trying not to step on their own dicks.  They want an obvious delineation between products so that people will buy according to category.  Most people dont come to forums and ask questions or do much thinking for themselves.

They walk into a gun store, buy their new red dot ready pistol and ask what they need for combat.  The guy behind the counter, who served sixteen tours in OIF, Vietnam and WWII will immediately tell them because of his two minutes of training and experience that the Trijicon RMR is what that person needs.

For the average concealed carry user that wants to pull double duty and shoot some matches with their carry gun and also have fun at the range, the SRO is without a doubt, ready for that.

USPSA just published their equipment survey from the 2019 CO Nationals. Trijicon had an 18 percent share, of which 15 percent was the SRO, leaving 3 percent for the RMR. This is obviously for competitive use.

10876C5E-03CD-4190-8F87-D7E8D6551203.jpeg

How does that prove its FOR competitive use? lol.

Its a good optic for competitive use no doubt but so long as the electronics are sound, the same advantages of the optic translate over to CCW provided you're ok with the larger form factor and the fact that you wont be able to hammer nails with it...

Don't want to speak for GJM but I think what he said was that the USPSA data he posted reflects competitive use distribution. Not proof of intent.

I've had SRO on my carry gun and wouldn't hesitate to carry it concealed. I just found it slightly too big. My carry guns have RMRs on them which are the best compromise of duty grade, concealment, and battery life for me. 

RMRs, however, are not competitive at higher levels of USPSA performance. We can use up a lot of bandwidths arguing this point; the better way of settling it is going out, shooting matches, and posting results. 

13 hours ago, Magsz said:

How does that prove its FOR competitive use? lol.

Its a good optic for competitive use no doubt but so long as the electronics are sound, the same advantages of the optic translate over to CCW provided you're ok with the larger form factor and the fact that you wont be able to hammer nails with it...

Each of these optics has their pros and cons. I have carried the SRO, and while it might not be rugged enough to “drop on large rocks” as Sage apparently thinks is relevant, the SRO has proven durable for me and my friends in the kind of high round count shooting that has, for example, destroyed many late manufacture DP Pros. I don’t find the size of the SRO to be an issue carrying as the mass of the larger display is at the belt line where it does not print. Another nice feature of the SRO, is BUIS are easily usable through the large, clear display, and don’t crowd the display like they do on an RMR. Perhaps the best “carry” feature of the SRO is ease of acquiring the dot in weird positions or with just your support hand. The bad part of the SRO for carry is the “auto dot intensity” just does not perform as well as auto on the RMR, especially against light backgrounds like a white wall. 

A great thing about being in AZ during the winter is all the sunshine. A bad thing is the darn low sun angles in the winter. I took pictures of the RMR, Acro, SRO, RTS2 and Romeo 3 Max this morning, and later will try to post them. Here is the RMR.

D72C9557-8ACB-4C2C-B889-5128B181ECA4.jpeg

13 hours ago, YVK said:

Don't want to speak for GJM but I think what he said was that the USPSA data he posted reflects competitive use distribution. Not proof of intent.

I've had SRO on my carry gun and wouldn't hesitate to carry it concealed. I just found it slightly too big. My carry guns have RMRs on them which are the best compromise of duty grade, concealment, and battery life for me. 

RMRs, however, are not competitive at higher levels of USPSA performance. We can use up a lot of bandwidths arguing this point; the better way of settling it is going out, shooting matches, and posting results. 

His wording was confusing.

I don't really think we need any evidence to prove that there is a definite benefit to the SRO's larger window versus the RMR.

The key is to focus on what the end user really needs.  Would I carry the SRO on duty, hmmm, probably.  Is it as durable as the RMR?  No, its not but the end user needs to define his standard, not the manufacturer that is scrambling around trying to keep their products relevant and clearly defined so they can continue selling them en masse.

If i was deploying over sea's, id want an RMR as that is an entirely different ball of wax.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, traingq said:

I have a Vortex Razor on my G17 Gen 4.  Been holding up great so far.

Thanks for your input...Vortex is a very popular choice. I decided to buy the TRIJICON RMR 2 because it suited my needs for Practical shooting "CO" ; its lower profile it will be easier to carry consealed. And, the RMR has a reputation of being rugged. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good choice on the RMR. I’ve got one on my off-duty G19 gen5 MOS. It’s been through thousands of rounds and it’s been perfect. The window did get a little crowded when I added Dawson precision co-witness iron sights, but since you keep target focus and look through the sight then it doesn’t matter how small the window is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, GJM said:

A great thing about being in AZ during the winter is all the sunshine. A bad thing is the darn low sun angles in the winter. I took pictures of the RMR, Acro, SRO, RTS2 and Romeo 3 Max this morning, and later will try to post them. Here is the RMR.

D72C9557-8ACB-4C2C-B889-5128B181ECA4.jpeg

George,

Ive done a fair bit of training in different lighting conditions with my SRO.  This past weekend at a centrifuge training Red Dot instructors class I ran into significant problems with wash out with the sun facing me, reflecting off of the glass.  There was a pretty significant reflection on the glass making the dot which was at near max brightness VERY hard to pinpoint.  Its the first time I've ran into this.

The only outlier here is that the glass was REALLY dirty and I would imagine the sun was projecting and refracting light off of the glass which had a bazillion pieces of crud all over it.  By the time I got around to cleaning the lens the sun had moved so I was unable to test my theory.

On 12/26/2019 at 3:24 PM, dapribek said:

I have the 5MOA Trijicon SRO. Not sure about the auto shut-off, but I really like it much more than my Leupold DPP. 

I too have the DPP.  I've been thinking about another optic.  What is it about the 5 MOA SRO that makes you like it better than the DPP?

On 12/26/2019 at 3:24 PM, dapribek said:

I too have the DPP.  I've been thinking about another optic.  What is it about the 5 MOA SRO that makes you like it better than the DPP?